• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] In defense of Innova...

On the other hand, every Valkyrie I've owned has been just what I expected, and so has every DX Roc.

^^^^^
I would ask you to put a current Valkyrie up against one that is 10 years old and tell me if you see a difference.

If you don't then you need to see the optometrist.

I will say that to your credit IF you can look at it and say hey this one Valkyrie is more/less stable than this one I could/should expect this out of it then maybe it does do what you expect, but if your judging it on what has been produced lately in the last few years your leaving out what they were like years ago which is totally different.

For the most part I only threw CE and JK pro Valkyrie's and the old ones are far better than what's being produced today. Hence why I have an issue with inconsistency, they are not the same in almost any way.

I have to say, I am tired of all the Innova bashing that takes place on these boards. It seems as if everyone wants to rip on them because they are the big, bad, #1 disc golf company, which automatically makes them money-hungry corporate diggers who prey on us poor defenseless customers.

Innova has done so much for disc golf in this area, from developing courses to sponsoring events, it is not even funny.

And has anyone ever thought that, just maybe, we see all of the supposed "inconsistencies" because they are the biggest company and have the most products being used?

Finally, I would like the end with this statement: For every person that comes on here and rants about a crappy Innova product -- be it a disc, bag, whatever -- there are probably 10 people out enjoying their product without complaint. It is always the most dissatisfied who are the most vocal. The people who are happy with their products are too busy out enjoying them to post on a message board about it.

Sorry to be on my high horse, but this way bothering me this morning.

Just wondering - what events does Innova sponsor in SoCal? Or anywhere for that matter. Yes, they offer the CFR program for tourneys but as far as I can tell - DGA sponsors the socal series, Legacy is helping alot, and Gateway sends over "freebies" for sponsorship along with thier own "cfr" type deals. I seems that Discraft does alot more as far as sponsoring events for the sport - The Memorial, Glass Blown, Am Nats etc. Not trying to bash Innova or anything - love my T-birds,F-birds and destroyers. I know they have a long history of "giving back", USDGC, getting courses installed but, as the saying goes - Innova, "what have you done for us lately" (besides producing bubble discs and changing our favorite discs, haha).

Thanks Innova, for being everywhere when we all started. I didn't even know their were other brands for awhile there. Heck, I bought an EcoStar thinking I was trying a new brand.

But I throw discraft now. Not cause I think they are better, but becuase everyone throws Innova and I want to be "elite." I also do not like how DX holds up.

I hate to further prove your point, but I thought Champion Coyotes were OOP.

Well, there's still plenty of them available at the major online retailers. Which is usually a good proxy for whether a disc is OOP. (Which is harder to track down the answer to.)

My statement was actually wrong though, anyway, because I forgot about the recent champ Cobras and Stingrays. (No idea why a champ Stingray is a higher priority than, say, a champ Whippet though ...)

I guess I don't see it that way. I am sure Innova changes molds from time to time and may or may not tell us but for me this is just not an issue. I have had the same Eagles in my bag for over 4 years now, the same Destroyer(first run) since 2008 and the same Xcals (furst run) since they came out. How often do you need to replace your discs that you can complain about all the slight changes from time to time.

I love Innova discs and find them to be great, I can do with not having all the mid-randes and putters made by them though. For me I only carry Innova with a few exceptions and its not because Im loyal, its because the make what works best for me. Gateway putters, DC mids, MVP for the rest.

Just wondering - what events does Innova sponsor in SoCal? Or anywhere for that matter. Yes, they offer the CFR program for tourneys but as far as I can tell - DGA sponsors the socal series, Legacy is helping alot, and Gateway sends over "freebies" for sponsorship along with thier own "cfr" type deals. I seems that Discraft does alot more as far as sponsoring events for the sport - The Memorial, Glass Blown, Am Nats etc. Not trying to bash Innova or anything - love my T-birds,F-birds and destroyers. I know they have a long history of "giving back", USDGC, getting courses installed but, as the saying goes - Innova, "what have you done for us lately" (besides producing bubble discs and changing our favorite discs, haha).

Ice Bowl events that draw a lot of locals. Discounts to school programs. They are also huge in getting more courses installed, which, while not sponsoring an event, seems more valuable.

Ice Bowl events that draw a lot of locals. Discounts to school programs. They are also huge in getting more courses installed, which, while not sponsoring an event, seems more valuable.

I agree with the school programs, or EDGE. I know they run/sposnsor that program I just havent heard alot about EDGE events or seen any press releases on disc golf in schools - except for a few Non Stop Disc Golf team demos at schools. Not trying to nit pick, but can you give any specific examples of Innova sponsored Ice Bowls, seems more like local club organized charity events with discs purchases from Innova through the CFR program rather than Innova "sponsoring" the event. And what courses have they put in. Just trying to educate myself, not arguing.:D

What has Innova done for me lately?

Well they've designed or produced just about every disc in my bag... thx Innova.

actually this is one point that i like about innova...they did two videos.

disc golf monthly 94 and 95 are amazing.....

this was very helpful and keeps me from posting pictures of my non xout blizzard zephyr.......oh hell i'll do it anyhow if someone asks.

post em! i love the zephyr, just got a 198 champ zephyr from the factory store :thmbup:

What has Innova done for me lately?

Well they've designed or produced just about every disc in my bag... thx Innova.

Mine too actually:hfive:, well atleast my drivers and fairways. I actually have no problem with their discs or inconsistencies. there is a destroyer out there for everyone!!! Pop-top stable to flat bombers. The OP just mentioned some other aspects of the game - tourney sponsors, course installs,etc. I was just wondering about those. $hit, I even used an innova discarrier for 2 full years and the thing still looks like new, not a single tear or rip or anything. I guess the question goes back to pretty much the smaller new USDGC vs. all the events Discraft has and continues to run/sposnsor. It appears Discraft does more but, is this because they have to in order to compete with Innova and keep their name out there or because this is just something they feel is necessary to grow the sport. I guess I'd have to probably assume the answer about business competition rather than giving back to the sport......Which is fine with me. More money = more incentive for more disc - or something like that:)

I have to say, I am tired of all the Innova bashing that takes place on these boards. It seems as if everyone wants to rip on them because they are the big, bad, #1 disc golf company, which automatically makes them money-hungry corporate diggers who prey on us poor defenseless customers.

Innova has done so much for disc golf in this area, from developing courses to sponsoring events, it is not even funny.

And has anyone ever thought that, just maybe, we see all of the supposed "inconsistencies" because they are the biggest company and have the most products being used?

Finally, I would like the end with this statement: For every person that comes on here and rants about a crappy Innova product -- be it a disc, bag, whatever -- there are probably 10 people out enjoying their product without complaint. It is always the most dissatisfied who are the most vocal. The people who are happy with their products are too busy out enjoying them to post on a message board about it.

Sorry to be on my high horse, but this way bothering me this morning.

Do what I do--ignore the haters! I'm almost exlusively a Gateway dude and they pretty much take the trophy for inconsistent mold bashing. I love my Illusions, Apache, Sabre, Elements, Wizards, Voodoos, and Magics and don't really give a rat's a$$ if some dude on a disc golf forum thinks Gateway is no good.

My only issue with innova is the plus mold not being clearly labeled on the disc. In the last 8 months 5 out of the 10 innova discs I ordered were plus mold sent to me by mistake.

Cheers - Koffee

I agree with the school programs, or EDGE. I know they run/sposnsor that program I just havent heard alot about EDGE events or seen any press releases on disc golf in schools - except for a few Non Stop Disc Golf team demos at schools. Not trying to nit pick, but can you give any specific examples of Innova sponsored Ice Bowls, seems more like local club organized charity events with discs purchases from Innova through the CFR program rather than Innova "sponsoring" the event. And what courses have they put in. Just trying to educate myself, not arguing.:D

No worries. In my limited time playing, I have been at tourneys where they have donated plenty of free raffle prizes. They granted my school a discount on baskets so we could install a course. And, to my knowledge, they had a great deal to do with the installation of a new regional park course, as well as a great mountain course.

That being said, I can't speak to all of their giving or non-giving. From what I have personally seen, it looks like they do a lot. But, in comparison to Discraft, as you mentioned in another post, it looks like Discraft does more. I would agree with you that Discraft probably has to do that to keep exposure in the market.

When all is said and done, I like the advice many on here have given: Don't listen to the critics. And really, I don't. I just got tired of seeing thread after thread after thread of Innova = devil.

I personally have nothing against Innova as a company. I feel like they do a lot of stuff right. My big complaint about Innova is the lack of consistency and quality control. From my limited exposure to golf discs over the last two years, I have learned that when Innova does well it is nearly impossible to beat, however, when they screw up (which happens way too often) you just get a sub-par result that gives the competition an even greater edge. Lately, I have gone almost all Discraft with a couple Innova drivers, Vibram fairways, and an Ibex due to the consistency. I know that if I happen to lose or have one of my Discraft or Vibrams stolen that I can just go to the store and pick another up and be ready to go. I don't know that for sure with Innova.

If Innova could make their products more consistent I would definitely throw more of their stuff. Until then, I'm going to stick with my Vibram and Discraft dominant bag.

they donated a lot to the turkey shoot here at LaMi.

They don't really do sponsorships from what ive seen like "so and so tourny" sponsored by innova. More-so they give us a banner and a good shuck of stuff for player prizes.

BTW remember innova spends a lot of time testing new discs and molds where a lot of companies copy innova mold w/ little tweaks. Granted sometimes those copies are better but innova is out the hence Innova(tion). They're name is out there so they dont have to sponsor so boldly to get their known. Noobs will know innova. ive seen noobs that didn't even know Discraft existed.

Last edited:
You obviously haven't interacted with the factory store :|

Really the outlet that generally sells discs that innova felt werent good enough for shelves(f2's) isnt the best place to shop...go figure.

Latest posts