• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Inconsistent release angles

I was traveling and did not have good opportunities for field practices last weekend. Today I did some field shots and also tried the elephant walk drill. The video has bad lighting and a bad camera angle, but because the battery was about to die, I have only this take. Tomorrow more.

Also, I tried to pay attention to transferring the pressure rather than mass. When dry running in the living room, it felt quite reasonable and understandable, but difficult to incorporate into the game when playing. I try to get some standstill shots on video tomorrow.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can see that. Actually noticed that when watching the video on the field right after filming and sort of tried to fix it, but I do not have any footage after that.

Yeah, you look way too cautious and deliberate. Need to swing with some reckless abandonment. Pretend your shoulder is a battering ram going thru a door and really get some heavy momentum on your swing. Enough swing momentum to pull your trailing leg into the next step on each swing back and forth.

Thanks again.

I did some more today. Here are two elephant walk drill shots:

My lower back has been quite stiff, probably because of sleeping on an inflatable mattress and driving a cheap Japanese car a lot in recent days. It might limit my range of movement.

What should be the width of the stance and length of a step?

I also did some one step run up throws, here is one:

It looks like the weightshift is far from good and the idea about shifting the pressure rather than the center of gravity is also missing. I cannot say about hugging myself / rounding from this vantage point, but I think it is still there, at least whenever I do not specifically think about it.

The accuracy/consistency of the shots has improved, but I do not know if it is a better form or just practice in general, as far as these are distinguishable.

E-Walk - much better shoulder swing there, but a little too quick from the top down, need to let gravity do the work to start down and then give it some juice and accelerate forward or backward as you near the bottom of the pendulum.

1 step - you are leaning back past your rear foot at the start - so your front foot steps out forward and head goes back, instead of shifting/drifting your hips/CoG forward first. Front leg in the stride should be fairly passive/dingle leg and swung and put down by the rear leg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=23s

I had a break of two weeks from field workout, because I was traveling and went hiking. I played a couple of rounds during those two weeks.

Today I went to the field again and did some short approach shots, elephant walk drills and finally some standstill drives to 200'-270'.

Elephant walk drill throws tend to end up quite high and leave my hand in a hyzer angle. Maybe next time I'll record one of those again.

Here are two shots from stand still, side and rear views:

I watched this video in comparison:

I dunno, my side view looks super awkward. The weight shift seems to be a bit late in my opinion. My arm is extended to the maximum, but the weight is not on the front leg. I made some frame comparison and I can see that SW22 has his weight firmly on the front leg. Maybe more notable is that even though our upper bodies/shoulders seem to be aligned similarly, my lower body has turned as much as the upper body - SW22 has his lower body more in alignment with his feet (not completely parallel to the feet, but anyway). In the follow through I quite quickly transfer my weight to the ball of the feet rather than keeping it on the heel.

attachment.php

There is a lot of work to do.

Attachments

• form comparison 1.jpg
    form comparison 1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 83
Yeah, that's one of the things I sort of understand and implement when doing drills at the computer watching the technique videos, but always forget it when in the field or playing... Maybe it is sort of overdoing the backswing or really trying to reach back.

Yeah, that's one of the things I sort of understand and implement when doing drills at the computer watching the technique videos, but always forget it when in the field or playing... Maybe it is sort of overdoing the backswing or really trying to reach back.
"reachback" away from center like a tug of war or Olympic hammer throw. Disc should be pulling or moving away from your center, not moving with it.

The real top of the backswing happens after shifting forward into the front leg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSHqnYNijw#t=1m30s

That's what I sort of meant - I am overdoing it because I am trying to reach way too much behind and end up moving my upper body with the disc instead of just bringing the disc back in relation to my upper body.

E: It would be probably better for me to not even think about reaching back, but just casually extending or swinging my arm back :confused:

Last edited:
A couple of sessions later...

I tried to concentrate on the issues you mentioned previously: not to move my body after the disc in the backswing and timing in the weight shifting so that the peak of the backswing happens as the front foot plants.

It's not awfully good job, but maybe little better than last time:

The arm is straight before the foot plants. Moving my CoG feels pretty weird and looks so, almost like I would sit on my front leg or something. In the followthrough it's like the CoG rushes over the front foot rather than being braced behind it.

Generally, I feel like that the significant problem for me is that my CoG moves too fast from between my feet over the front foot. I think when in the peak of the backswing, the pressure should be on the front foot and in the followthrough the CoG should still be above the plant foot not significantly gone over it. I do not know if that made any sense, a better English writer would probably know better words to address that issue.

Your front foot plants very weak, slow without all your weight. So your rear foot is still on ground pushing you over your front leg/brace.

All your weight should suddenly drop on the front leg into the plant like going down the stairs. You should be in control of the drop with the rear leg, and the last 1-2" there should be a sudden shift/drop into front foot and off the rear leg/foot.

Hi folks,

Back at it again! I did not stop training at the beginning of August, even though I did not post here after that. I tried to work with the issues mentioned here, without progressing that much.

I also spent some time on the course last summer and there I could see some benefits of the field training. Also my friends said I was throwing then 60' more than in the beginning of the last summer.

It was a long spring and lots of snow here where I live. The field was opened a couple of weeks ago and today was the first day I took the tripod to the field. Here are two shots:

My reflections:
- The front foot plant seems weak still, do not know what to do for that
- The nose angle is quite brutal, still pointing to the skies.
- The first shot was pretty good, the latter, you can see turning over to the ground quite early at 200'. Both shots with Buzzz which is my most stable midway.

Could it be that my footwork is slightly late that causes the week front foot plant and also me going over the plant foot during the throwing motion rather than bracing onto it?

I tried to compare my standstill form to others' and that's the conclusion I made. When the backswing is at its peak, my front foot is not yet planted and when I am releasing my upper body is leaning too much forward.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 15
No video footage this time, I've lost my tripod somewhere, but this was a really useful tip. I have been trying to incorporate it on the field and on the course. Seems to have helped to my original problem, the inconsistency of the throwing direction. But I'll find the tripod and provide some video material next time.

There are three shots from this evening's field session. The first is my "standard" standstill mid-range throw. As mentioned, I tried to implement the swimming motion, but it is very subtle or almost non-existent. Nonetheless, the rear arm movement is different from what it used to be. I also end up leaning forwards quite much, more than normally. I have noticed that I tend to do that on the course, when I need to specifically hit some small gap or throw downhill.

In the second and third throws, I tried to make the swim move more pronounced after watching the first set from the video, but those throws were quite bad. In the last throw, the hand movement is pretty forced and the whole throw was just no-good.

One side note that is not captured on the video. I mentioned that the consistency of lines has improved on the course and that is certainly true, but I struggle with downhill or uphill shots. Downhill shots I tend to release too much left and uphill shots I yank to right.

You are setup over turned back and then you lean back away from target past your rear ankle and tilt your pelvis opposite. Once your rear knee goes back past the ankle your leverage is toast as your rear hip collapses downward instead of posting up on it for the front hip/leg to swing/swivel back underneath.

Note how neutral and centered I'm setup, and then I brace/post up on rear leg, extending rear knee and flexing front knee tilting pelvis to support or brace the spine in dynamic balance turning back centered inside my posture/rear foot.

IMO this motion is much more natural and easier to feel using a full forward pump/address to target and then going into a pendulum backswing.

tv2CTOY.png