• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Innova DX Roc

Prince Vegeta

Bogey Member
First thread ever.

I've been playing for a few years casually. My first disc was a Buzzz. I just recently started taking the sport seriously and began working on my form. My dog chewed it up so I replaced it with a 180g Buzzz esp. It's automatic. Super consistent. Does what I need it to. I then bought a 177g DX rancho roc to compare the two. I read that the roc has a bit more fade to it which is what I was hoping for.

For some reason I can't groove with the roc. It's probably my form, but I feel I play with a bit of consistency and shot shaping now that I've been working on it. The roc for me flips up and glides right on my right handed backhand throws every time (even on a hyzer). I guess the positive is that it is consistent. I just imagined it would have some fade to it. I can throw throw the roc and my buzzz around 300 feet. Maybe a bit more with the buzzz if I wanted to.

Any opinions? Thank you.

Roc are much less tolerant of form flaws than Buzzzes. If you're "turning over" your Roc, you need to clean up your form. You've likely developed some bad habits that you'll have to break.

I agree with tbird888. If a new DX Roc "flips up and glides right" when throwing "around 300 feet" then something very unusual is happening. That Roc is not flying like a Roc.

Possible causes:
Headwind
Exceptionally understable disc geometry
Maybe the bead messes with your release?
Form flaws / off-axis torque

To give the Roc a fair shot, you should determine which of these is causing the Roc to not fly right.

If these variables are eliminated, the two disc molds should be fairly evenly matched. Either is an excellent choice. The Buzzz will prefer lower lines and will be easier to get a little more distance. The Roc prefers higher lines and has a little extra fade. Again, both are excellent; personal preferences and hand-feel will determine your winner.

FWIW, the Roc won that slot in my bag.

Thank you. I can throw it with little wind and it turns over. It probably is my form considering I just started taking things more seriously. About a month ago I was an extreme casual disc golfer. Only threw My old buzzz and a putter, so I know my form isn't great. I definitely agree that the buzzz likes to be thrown lower.

Do you notice a difference between other beaded and non beaded discs? Are you using a power grip or fan? Probably your form, but it is not unheard of to have issues with beads.

Thank you. I can throw it with little wind and it turns over. It probably is my form considering I just started taking things more seriously. About a month ago I was an extreme casual disc golfer. Only threw My old buzzz and a putter, so I know my form isn't great. I definitely agree that the buzzz likes to be thrown lower.

Keep in mind that DX Rocs will turn more into a headwind when compared to star or champion rocs. The Roc and the Buzzz are both great discs, either one will work great for you. Just throw the one that is more comfortable for you

Do you notice a difference between other beaded and non beaded discs? Are you using a power grip or fan? Probably your form, but it is not unheard of to have issues with beads.

I have only ever thrown a buzzz until now. I'm very new to the world of different discs. That's why I decided to try the roc; just to compare to the buzzz. I mostly throw power grips. Sometimes a fan grip, just depending on the shot. When I am comparing the two, I try to do so in an open field with little wind and let it rip to analyze the flight characteristics.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that DX Rocs will turn more into a headwind when compared to star or champion rocs. The Roc and the Buzzz are both great discs, either one will work great for you. Just throw the one that is more comfortable for you

Although it is windy were I live, I try to compare the roc to my buzzz on calmer days.

I have only ever thrown a buzzz until now. I'm very new to the world of different discs. That's why I decided to try the roc; just to compare to the buzzz. I mostly throw power grips. Sometimes a fan grip, just depending on the shot. When I am comparing the two, I try to do so in an open field with little wind and let it rip to analyze the flight characteristics.

Try using a fan grip and comparing. If the fan grip eliminates the turn without reducing distance it could be your grip just hates a bead. If not your form is OATy.

What patent numbers would I look for to see if mine is from this run? I'm fully willing to accept the fact that is is probably 99.99% my own form.

Check bottom of the flight plate, new discs says 'www.innovadiscs.com', while older discs has a part that says 'Patent NO. #########'

To compare molds properly they really should be in similar plastics. You really cant compare the molds well with an esp buzzz and a dx roc.. a kc or champion roc or roc3 would compare better to an esp buzzz

To compare molds properly they really should be in similar plastics. You really cant compare the molds well with an esp buzzz and a dx roc.. a kc or champion roc or roc3 would compare better to an esp buzzz

Agreed, comparing a DX roc to a Champ or Star roc is like apples and oranges to me. DX tends to hold lines a lot longer and be more susceptible to wind.

Agreed, comparing a DX roc to a Champ or Star roc is like apples and oranges to me. DX tends to hold lines a lot longer and be more susceptible to wind.

But unless really beat or into a stronger headwind, no (Rancho) Roc should show the flight behavior that was described. All newish Rocs in all plastics should be pretty high-speed stable.

Roc are much less tolerant of form flaws than Buzzzes.

I strongly disagree with this. To me, rocs fly like putters and Buzzzes fly like a drivers. Rocs feel much less sensitive to torque and nose angle differences (I'm on team ROC, fwiw).

DX Rocs should not be showing turn when fresh, however I have experienced some DX Roc3's that were downright flippy right from the start.

But unless really beat or into a stronger headwind, no (Rancho) Roc should show the flight behavior that was described. All newish Rocs in all plastics should be pretty high-speed stable.

In my experience, if a premium plastic roc and a dx roc are both beat in to the same level then the DX will hold its turn longer and have less fade.

In my experience, if a premium plastic roc and a dx roc are both beat in to the same level then the DX will hold its turn longer and have less fade.

``Beat to the same level'' is difficult to define over different plastics. But I see what you mean and agree. It doesn't contradict my previous post.