• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Innova DX Roc

To compare molds properly they really should be in similar plastics. You really cant compare the molds well with an esp buzzz and a dx roc.. a kc or champion roc or roc3 would compare better to an esp buzzz

You're right, they're different molds. But my expectation was that the roc would be more stable. It flies like a shorter lightweight leopard. A buzzz was my only midrange experience before this. My buzzz is straight as an arrow.

I strongly disagree with this. To me, rocs fly like putters and Buzzzes fly like a drivers. Rocs feel much less sensitive to torque and nose angle differences (I'm on team ROC, fwiw).

DX Rocs should not be showing turn when fresh, however I have experienced some DX Roc3's that were downright flippy right from the start.

I kinda get that feel. Roc literally flies like a faster putter (except in my case very understandable).

I strongly disagree with this. To me, rocs fly like putters and Buzzzes fly like a drivers. Rocs feel much less sensitive to torque and nose angle differences (I'm on team ROC, fwiw).

DX Rocs should not be showing turn when fresh, however I have experienced some DX Roc3's that were downright flippy right from the start.

Putters, by virtue of being slower, are generally much more sensitive to form flaws like (off-axis) torque than drivers. That's why they're great for teaching beginners. That has nothing to do with stability though.

I agree Rocs are definitely better with nose angle issues than Buzzzes though due to their slower, glide-heavy nature (why Comets need to be paired with a driver like a Leopard as "teaching discs" to not ingrain nose angle problems). Not sure I was including nose angles when I generalized "form flaws".

I have the same problem with Rocs. They're too flippy for me. I bought 5 different ones last year and they all fly similarly. I don't have good form and that's the problem though. I was expecting them to be much more overstable based on their flight numbers.

Buzzzes fly more stable than the flight numbers for me so that's what I throw.

For what it's worth, here is a video of me throwing a bunch of mids (Buzzzes, Rocs, and more) in a field practice session. Should really be watched on a larger screen if possible.

Alright so maybe I jumped the gun a bit with this thread. I spend several hours just practicing my form with the roc and buzzz. I saw an improvement with the roc. It flies straight then falls to the left when it runs out of gas. I don't think I trust myself enough yet to attempt flex lines with it.

One thing I will note, my buzzz and roc feel really different in the hand (duh). Buzzz is very flat and roc has a slight dome to it. More than that though I think I am really enjoying the bead. It nestles ever so comfortably in one of the grooves of my index finger with a power grip. I felt that the more I dedicated to it the more I liked it in hand, and that's half the battle.

Alright so maybe I jumped the gun a bit with this thread. I spend several hours just practicing my form with the roc and buzzz. I saw an improvement with the roc. It flies straight then falls to the left when it runs out of gas. I don't think I trust myself enough yet to attempt flex lines with it.

One thing I will note, my buzzz and roc feel really different in the hand (duh). Buzzz is very flat and roc has a slight dome to it. More than that though I think I am really enjoying the bead. It nestles ever so comfortably in one of the grooves of my index finger with a power grip. I felt that the more I dedicated to it the more I liked it in hand, and that's half the battle.
Bag a Buzzz and a Comet, problem solved.

I'm gonna have to disagree with this.

I mean, I'm not saying it's a copy in any way, but having thrown comets first when I picked up a Roc this winter my first thought on throwing it was "this feels and looks a lot like a comet but flies a tick more stable than my beefiest comet". That's all I'm saying.

I've only bought one new dx roc in years, last year and it seems less stable than my other rocs. Still has the pat. no.

This is not the first time I've heard about this "turning roc" flight lately.

I've only bought one new dx roc in years, last year and it seems less stable than my other rocs. Still has the pat. no.

I can see people wanting Star and Champ Rocs to start out less overstable but I REALLY hope that didn't drive Innova to tweak the mold :( That would be supremely disappointing!

I can see people wanting Star and Champ Rocs to start out less overstable but I REALLY hope that didn't drive Innova to tweak the mold :( That would be supremely disappointing!

I think Innova tweaking molds has more to do with Dave D's mood on any given day versus actual market data and feedback. :|

Im in the opposite boat here. I wish they would make Star and Champ rocs that are more overstable.
If the extra overstability doesn't kill the glide, I wouldn't argue with just a smidge more added to DX and KC Rocs. Just give it a tiny fist bump from Mr. Overstability.

If the extra overstability doesn't kill the glide, I wouldn't argue with just a smidge more added to DX and KC Rocs. Just give it a tiny fist bump from Mr. Overstability.

I switched over to DX RocX3. Glide is great, extra stability is there, handle wind great, and they beat in well. I still keep well beat Ranchos as turnover discs, the flatness of the RocX3 stops it from being a truly great turnover disc. The only problem is that they are truly longer than Ranchos. I get an extra 20' off the RocX3 which isn't always appreciated.

I picked up my first ever Roc about 2 weeks ago. DX. 180g. Patent number on the bottom.

Standstill shot, fan grip, 200 feet out from the basket, open fairway, released on hyzer: I've got an Elite X Stratus, an Elite X Buzzz, an ESP Buzzz, and a pre-flight number super rubbery DX Wolf. The Wolf flips to flat and flies straight as an arrow, never turns. The Stratus flies the same way, but is more sensitive to flipping in the wind or due to a bad shot. The Buzzzs both hold the hzyer and will dump early left unless I push a bit harder and aim more to the right. The Roc holds the hyzer but pushes forward a lot more than the Buzzz before it fades. I'm not sure how the DX will beat in, but I think I'll grab another fresh DX when it starts to happen. Right now, this is the disc I grab for that shot.