• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Innova DX Roc

I wish my DX Rocs would season faster. For me, it takes at least a year of use to even notice a difference in flight, but I don't hit many trees.

Buying used is the best thing you can do but us roc throwers dont let go of used ones too often so you kinda have to get lucky and find one on FB or at PIAS.

I noticed you list the Buzz and Comet in your sig line.

Personally, I'm getting impatient cycling Rocs to fill the understable role. It would take a very patient man to get something like a Z Wasp there.

Yeah my buzz is typically for lower line strait to slight turn shots, and use the comet when I can put a little more air on it and hold a line forever. Also great for turnovers.
My Z Wasp is about 2 years old and still has plenty of fade. I love it! I can pretty much throw it as hard as I want with 0 turn.
I do have a couple JB Wasps which are dead strait, and will start using those for the hyzer-flips/turnovers soon. They'll likely replace my Buzzz.

I wish my DX Rocs would season faster. For me, it takes at least a year of use to even notice a difference in flight, but I don't hit many trees.

I take a few to the local wooded courses and play best shot doubles by myself. They get knocked around a bit and get natural wear. It's a fun way to practice and once you get used to them, they make fairly decent putters too. It's also a fun way to break up monotony.

I take a few to the local wooded courses and play best shot doubles by myself. They get knocked around a bit and get natural wear. It's a fun way to practice and once you get used to them, they make fairly decent putters too. It's also a fun way to break up monotony.

Might I suggest worst shot doubles? It's my new thing at the home course and it's really helped my consistency off the tee. A line's only a good line if you can hit it twice.

Buying used is the best thing you can do but us roc throwers dont let go of used ones too often so you kinda have to get lucky and find one on FB or at PIAS.

I gave a couple of my used Rocs away to some new players at my local course (have backups in similar stages of wear.) Hope they come to appreciate those Rocs. Or maybe I'll get good karma and the next time I hit chains with a Roc it will stick instead of splashing out.

I live about 2 miles from one, but they don't carry discs. It is next door to a fantastic disc golf store (Pluto Sports, Knoxville TN) that is very involved in the local dg community, so I don't know if that decision is out of respect or just a coincidence.

I'm definitely keeping my eyes open on the local market, though.

Might not be respect but that PIAS might have tried to sell discs and did not make enough to justify keeping the discs in stock, sold them to the Pluto Sports.

I Will second that the Innova DX ROC makes a great long approach putter if still OS but if beat in the Same disc will make a great long approach putter if running everything.

I Will second that the Innova DX ROC makes a great long approach putter if still OS but if beat in the Same disc will make a great long approach putter if running everything.

Many times I have stepped up to the lie where my Roc landed and missed the putt, then picked up the Roc and made the putt I just missed. I have always chalked it up to some combination of making the adjustment and getting out of my own head and simply throwing a disc to the target without overthinking it.

Many times I have stepped up to the lie where my Roc landed and missed the putt, then picked up the Roc and made the putt I just missed. I have always chalked it up to some combination of making the adjustment and getting out of my own head and simply throwing a disc to the target without overthinking it.

Sorry for the disc drift but I do the same with a Shark half the time.

...Some of the newer KC Pro plastic is too stiff and slick for me.

I only have one KC Pro Roc, but shelved it because it was so slick and domey that I had a hard time holding onto it.

So for you Roc cyclers out there, how many Rocs do you typically carry? My initial assumption is 3 (flippy, neutral, stable) am I way off?

It can vary, but around 3-4 for me. I normally have a mix of 3 DX and KC Pro in the bag along with a Champ Rancho for OS.

So for you Roc cyclers out there, how many Rocs do you typically carry? My initial assumption is 3 (flippy, neutral, stable) am I way off?

My plan is to carry 3 as described, occasionally pulling out the flippy or stable one depending on course or if I want to play with something else on a given day.

I carry five. They are a mix of whatever flies like I need. The flippiest is an 8X KC Pro. Next is a "somewaht flippy but more stable than the 8X" Star Ontario. It can be swapped with an embossed DX Rancho that was thrown into a street and run over by a Volvo. The main beat in Roc is a DX Rancho. The "beat in but still has predictable fade" is a 12X KC Pro. The OS is a Champ Rancho.

That's just what is in the bag right now though. I could make a lineup of five DX Ranchos that would cover that, I could make a lineup of five KC Pros that could cover that, and I could take four DX Ontarios and throw in a OS DX Rancho to cover that.

You could take one of them and do some field work in a parking lot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or just carry a premium plastic version of another mold that flies how you want. They exist.....

I'm firmly in the anti-cycle camp. Just my opinion. You guys can hate me all ya want.

I could carry 3 like you described and be fine, but I prefer to carry 5 (1 Champ Rancho and 4 DX) to have more backups. The Champ is for having that OS Roc available for a long time for when I really want that particular flight, maybe it is windy, maybe it's been a bit since I put a fresh cycler in the bag. Then a fresh DX to get the cycle going with a new(er) Roc flight. The next one probably gets the most throws, very straight but a bit of fade left. The next one is like anywhere from a Mako3 to a Comet and sees a lot of throws as well. The last one is beat up pretty well, will turn the whole way and glide out on that turning line. If I lose a Roc it is usually this last one that can get away from me sometimes but I've accumulated multiple beat Rocs so it is ok.

So if you think #1-5 going down in stability, #1 and 2 handle OS/stable. #2, 3, 4 can handle neutral. #4 and 5 can handle flippy. Having 5 means that there will always be one that is close to those 3 slots, with minimal adjustment needed (unless for whatever reason I lose 2 or more in a round, but thankfully that's never happened.)

EDIT: Similar to what Three Putt described. 5 spots, fill them in with what you have in your stash.

Last edited:

Currently 7, 1 Champ, 1 Star, 1 KC, 4 DX.
Champ - Overstable, Star - Slightly Overstable, KC Neutral to slightly Overstable, DX - Ranging from Neutral to understable

Flippy Neutral Stable doesnt cover enough of my shot making ability in Mids but I know Im an outlier here since I can throw rocs almost 400' For me all of my rocs are just slightly different from each other, enough so that I warrant carrying more. I could add 2 more rocs to this if I wanted to cover the super overstable side and the super understable side but I have yet to find that super overstable roc and I dont have a ton of use for a roller roc

Or just carry a premium plastic version of another mold that flies how you want. They exist.....

I'm firmly in the anti-cycle camp. Just my opinion. You guys can hate me all ya want.

So my only issue with doing that is that for me, base line plastic holds lines longer and acts differently in the wind. I havent been able to find a premium plastic that holds a line quite as well as baseline plastic.

1) I really like the feel and grip of base plastic and specifically DX plastic. I throw these discs a lot more consistently.

2) A stable disc beaten to neutral or even understable tends to handle wind much better than an understable disc in premium plastic.

I didn't chose cycling, cycling chose me. :D

That's fine. No hate. The pros/cons of both have been laid out in depth, including what's been said above.

I like to cycle because I know how the discs will fly from time spent throwing them.

There is a slot in my bag where a typical Comet could work. But what if I get a new Z Comet and it doesn't fly as expected, either in its inherent stability and/or how it performs in different conditions? Then I have to either get another one if it isn't stable enough, or if it is more stable than expected, I have to season it anyway or maybe try a X Comet. When the Comet gets beat in, then I have to go through that process all over again, or end up putting it in the slot of a Meteor or Tursas or whatever. But then at that point, might as well be cycling.

Cycling Rocs (or whatever mold) is more of a sure thing. It's like working with someone you have worked with before: you know how they perform under various conditions from experience rather than from their application materials.

Last edited: