• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Innova DX Roc

Or just carry a premium plastic version of another mold that flies how you want. They exist.....

I'm firmly in the anti-cycle camp. Just my opinion. You guys can hate me all ya want.

No hate...I haven't found a mold out there that offers the dead straight glidey flight that a beat Roc does but still fights the wind. Closest thing I've throw to a beat Roc in premium plastic is a star coyote, and those things get destroyed by the wind. Plus I just love some dx plastic.

Philo is the biggest one who cycles them; there are others who bag a Roc or 2 and recognize the classic/iconic status of the disc, but they don't lean on them as much as players used to.

Was James Conrad throwing one in last years USDGC? I can remember Nate Sexton and Koling commenting on it but can't remember if it was a Roc or Roc 3?

I was gifted one while traveling when I met up with a friend of mine gave me a Hallowing Roc from last year. Flies nice. I hadn't thrown one in a while and really liked it for backhands. Bit of turn with a gentle fade, but if you give it some hyzer it would hold the line well.

Didn't try to turn it over but it was nice to throw one again. It's on my wall now though.

I have been using an 06' Big Eye for maybe 10 years now. Still my mos overstable roc. Ive tried tons of champ ranchos and a lot of them are overstable but most are too domey or the champ blend just isnt right. I have yet to get my hands on a 4x Glow since I dont want to pay the price but I have heard that last years iDyes came out pretty overstable and since feeling but have yet to find one at a decent price. I like my rocs to have just a mild done to them and most recent runs of ranchos are just too domey.

The milky white 04 Ring of Rocs are super overstable and flat as a board. Nice "budget" alternative to the 4X.

Not to be confused with a Roc3, which isn't a Roc. :|

That's also a #3 Roc based on a 5 Roc cycle.

I generally carry between 3 and 4 (Comets fill some slots when temps drop) but still call my middle Roc my #3 Roc because it's generally pretty understood what that means. I generally feel most comfortable with #1/1.5, #3, and #4 Rocs.

Not to be confused with a Roc3, which isn't a Roc. :|

Ah ok, I was about to go searching through Philo's last ITB to figure out where he says that is a Roc3. I agree, Roc3 is not a Roc, its some type of mutation of a Roc mixed with a flippy fairway driver that doesn't fight a headwind or give you that slow, buttery smooth glide.

Back to #3 Roc in a 5 Roc cycle...I'm assuming that is your middle of the road Roc...basically the Roc that is just getting into the perfectly beat stage?

That's also a #3 Roc based on a 5 Roc cycle.

I generally carry between 3 and 4 (Comets fill some slots when temps drop) but still call my middle Roc my #3 Roc because it's generally pretty understood what that means. I generally feel most comfortable with #1/1.5, #3, and #4 Rocs.
Oh, I know what a #3 Roc is.

I've actually been leaning on the #4 Roc a lot these days, and I just put some hyzer on it to cover the #3 slot. If I was going to carry just four I'd probably go #1/#2/#4/#5; I'm getting to the point that #3 Roc just sits in the bag. Weird, but it is what it is.

Ah ok, I was about to go searching through Philo's last ITB to figure out where he says that is a Roc3. I agree, Roc3 is not a Roc, its some type of mutation of a Roc mixed with a flippy fairway driver that doesn't fight a headwind or give you that slow, buttery smooth glide.

Back to #3 Roc in a 5 Roc cycle...I'm assuming that is your middle of the road Roc...basically the Roc that is just getting into the perfectly beat stage?
Yeah, it's pretty simple. The #1 is your new OS Roc and they just fall in line by stability from there. #3 is in the middle and it should be the workhorse/perfectly beat in Roc that gets the most throws.

Unless you are a moron and throw a #4 Roc with hyzer instead. :|

Actually I've been rolling my wrist open a lot, and throwing with a lot of hyzer helps me not do that so I've been throwing the #4 Roc with hyzer instead of throwing the #3 Roc flat, rolling my wrist and flipping it. So I have a reason. It's not a good reason, but it's a reason.

My #3 Buzzz is the best. Love the #3s.

*ducks and runs out the door while being pelted with Dx Rocs*

Might be mixing up posters, but IIRC you switch back and forth, is that the case? If so, why? Is it a feel thing, or just to switch things up now and then?

just to switch things up now and then?

Mostly this. I get a bug up my butt and want to throw Rocs/Comets which I love the flight of. But I've added more and more FH to my game and the Buzzz is just more versatile for me throwing FH/BH. I know you CAN FH Rocs and Comets, but the Buzzz is more idiot proof.

So basically you just need to sit on anthills more often. #dadjokes?

:clap::D

I could carry all three molds Rocs/Comets for BH and a Buzzz or two for FH but my minimalist OCD won't let me do it.

Mostly this. I get a bug up my butt and want to throw Rocs/Comets which I love the flight of. But I've added more and more FH to my game and the Buzzz is just more versatile for me throwing FH/BH. I know you CAN FH Rocs and Comets, but the Buzzz is more idiot proof.

I've actually been thinking about adding the buzz back to the bag specifically for this reason. Same thing with a harp or OS putter...I can flick dx aviars, and they can hit some magical lines, especially when scrambling. But if I'm just throwing a routine, easy fh shot, why not use a disc that doesn't punish me if my form/release angle isn't perfect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk