• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Innova DX Roc

But if I'm just throwing a routine, easy fh shot, why not use a disc that doesn't punish me if my form/release angle isn't perfect?

Because you'll ingrain form flaws in your FH that will take longer and be more frustrating to remove when you realize they're there?

Yeah, it's pretty simple. The #1 is your new OS Roc and they just fall in line by stability from there. #3 is in the middle and it should be the workhorse/perfectly beat in Roc that gets the most throws.

Unless you are a moron and throw a #4 Roc with hyzer instead. :|

Actually I've been rolling my wrist open a lot, and throwing with a lot of hyzer helps me not do that so I've been throwing the #4 Roc with hyzer instead of throwing the #3 Roc flat, rolling my wrist and flipping it. So I have a reason. It's not a good reason, but it's a reason.

I've been doing this too much lately and it's frustrating. Today I was better mainly because I was concentrating on that part of the release, when I forgot to do that I rolled the wrist. :wall:

I've been doing this too much lately and it's frustrating. Today I was better mainly because I was concentrating on that part of the release, when I forgot to do that I rolled the wrist. :wall:
I'm not concentrating at all, and I'm making all sorts of dumb mistakes. On Tuesday I opened my hand on a drive. Just let go of the disc before the snap. :eek: It was like I'd never played disc golf before.

It at least made me feel better about my wrist roll, anyway. :|

Because you'll ingrain form flaws in your FH that will take longer and be more frustrating to remove when you realize they're there?

Yeah, that's fair. I leaned heavily on my harp for fh upshots for about a week, then all of a sudden found that I couldn't flick anything without massive OAT. Then spent a week flicking my aviars and I was back to being smooth.

I think having a "crutch" disc like a harp that you use sparingly, but is still there when you need something that you know 100% will go where you want it, isn't terrible. Maybe you get tired late in a round, or it's a high pressure situation, whatever the case. I'm definitely not bagging anything but my rocs for most rounds. In fact, I don't have a bag for most rounds.
My typical round involves me jogging the course with a beat roc, eagle, and putter, and trying to get a sunrise round in before work. Definitely don't lug around a crutch disc for those rounds.

But if I'm just throwing a routine, easy fh shot, why not use a disc that doesn't punish me if my form/release angle isn't perfect?

If it is truly an easy, routine shot, then you should be able to throw anything. But I get what you are saying (see below)

I think having a "crutch" disc like a harp that you use sparingly, but is still there when you need something that you know 100% will go where you want it, isn't terrible.

For a competitive situation/with something on the line? Yes, I agree. Though it is better when it is less of a "crutch" and more like a "trusty tool" that you are controlling.

I practice FHing my Darts, Leopards, and Falks all the time. It's great to work the hyzer angle, and helps develop good snap and angle control.

But on the course, when I want a FH hyzer? I'm going for the more reliable Zone, Teebird3, or Firebird every time.

I practice FHing my Darts, Leopards, and Falks all the time. It's great to work the hyzer angle, and helps develop good snap and angle control.

But on the course, when I want a FH hyzer? I'm going for the more reliable Zone, Teebird3, or Firebird every time.

Agreed, but I FH a stable swirly S-FD a lot on the course.

Agreed, but I FH a stable swirly S-FD a lot on the course.

Yeah a nice stable 7 speed is perfect. I'll also FH hyzer flip my Falk on a tunnel (especially uphill) and I'll scramble with a long panning anhyzer FH Dart. But usually when I'm FHing, it's because I want a straight shot with reliable fade, so the stable/overstable stuff just makes sense.

So, uh...yeah. :|

Anybody throw Rocs?

picture.php

One hangs and I throw the other 2 plus another from 1992 not in this picture.

They look so clean for throwers. Do you wash them? Maybe the courses you play are immaculate? Or maybe you simply ace with them so they never touch the ground?

Pictures can be weird. This Roc is beat 1/2 to death:

picture.php

I rubbed the grime off with a magic eraser, took a picture and there you go. I'd doesn't look 1/2 bad. It looks a lot worse in person. The stamp is intact, though. That goes a long way toward keeping it looking new.

They look so clean for throwers. Do you wash them? Maybe the courses you play are immaculate? Or maybe you simply ace with them so they never touch the ground?

I didn't just take this picture, it's kinda old itself.

lol Sorry, it's a favorite. I also have 2 minis with that stamp...nfs.
I had an 8X also, same color as yours (dead leaf brown). Great thrower!

Back to real Roc talk.

My thrower with the Boneheadz is an easy 6/10. Probably a solid #5 Roc, I admit I don't use it much. If I was still competitive and did tourneys or leagues it would go in the cart for those days only, to perfect to waste any other throws but occasionally I throw it to remember the great shots of my past.

I also have an true manufacture orange 8xKCRoc that I am currently throwing as my #4 Roc. I will probably take it out once my white #3 8xKCRoc beats in to take its place. I have several white 8xKCRocs ready to slide in to the #3 slot. I even have a 2001 CE Roc that could easily be a #3.

You are one of the very few that can probably picture and appreciate what my mid set-up actually looks like...

#1 180g Champion or CE Ring of Rocs
#2 175g KC Color Glow Roc
#3 180g White 8xKCRoc
#4 176g Orange 8xKCRoc
#5 176g San Marino

I have a very abused Boneheadz mini, so abused it has many, and I mean many micro cracks...
I have a couple of Glow Boneheadz as well.

Back to real Roc talk.

My thrower with the Boneheadz is an easy 6/10. Probably a solid #5 Roc, I admit I don't use it much. If I was still competitive and did tourneys or leagues it would go in the cart for those days only, to perfect to waste any other throws but occasionally I throw it to remember the great shots of my past.

I also have an true manufacture orange 8xKCRoc that I am currently throwing as my #4 Roc. I will probably take it out once my white #3 8xKCRoc beats in to take its place. I have several white 8xKCRocs ready to slide in to the #3 slot. I even have a 2001 CE Roc that could easily be a #3.

You are one of the very few that can probably picture and appreciate what my mid set-up actually looks like...

#1 180g Champion or CE Ring of Rocs
#2 175g KC Color Glow Roc
#3 180g White 8xKCRoc
#4 176g Orange 8xKCRoc
#5 176g San Marino

I have a very abused Boneheadz mini, so abused it has many, and I mean many micro cracks...
I have a couple of Glow Boneheadz as well.

Lol. Once somebody has an 8X and goes "It's nothing special, just a white one" it's time to walk away...

Latest posts