• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Innova DX Roc

I believe the DG gods have tapped me to be a Roc thrower/cycler. I walk into my local PIAS with a plan to replace my Firebird that I stupidly just left on the ground a few weeks ago. I always check the used ones for anything interesting and there are 2 fairly beat white KC Rocs. In my mind I'm wondering what the chances are those would be there just after I have perused through this Roc thread and the bigger Roc thread. I move on to find my Firebird and I run across 2 new KC pro Rocs in white. Everyone here knows how this story ends. I walk out of the store with 4 Rocs, Firebird, and a MJ Comet (because I have no will power) and a used DX Eagle since my father in law throws them.
Looks like tomorrow I will be taking my Roc collection to the field and course.

I believe the DG gods have tapped me to be a Roc thrower/cycler. I walk into my local PIAS with a plan to replace my Firebird that I stupidly just left on the ground a few weeks ago. I always check the used ones for anything interesting and there are 2 fairly beat white KC Rocs. In my mind I'm wondering what the chances are those would be there just after I have perused through this Roc thread and the bigger Roc thread. I move on to find my Firebird and I run across 2 new KC pro Rocs in white. Everyone here knows how this story ends. I walk out of the store with 4 Rocs, Firebird, and a MJ Comet (because I have no will power) and a used DX Eagle since my father in law throws them.

The God's have spoken...

This is the main Roc thrower for me right now. It's a #3-#4 for me. I wish y'all could hold it for a minute, it has a ching type feel, soft and buttery but firm. Very durable, has a chunk out of the rim you can kind of see here. But I've always wondered about this Roc because of the feel.

attachment.php

It looks more used than this picture shows also. I'm not real hard on my disc with my noodle arm, that's why dx Rocs from late 80s, early 90s that I own and have thrown since then are in the condition they're in. I also really don't use them for drivers now as much as I used to.

Attachments

• 92 Roc.jpg
    92 Roc.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 62
This is the main Roc thrower for me right now. It's a #3-#4 for me. I wish y'all could hold it for a minute, it has a ching type feel, soft and buttery but firm. Very durable, has a chunk out of the rim you can kind of see here. But I've always wondered about this Roc because of the feel.

attachment.php

It looks more used than this picture shows also. I'm not real hard on my disc with my noodle arm, that's why dx Rocs from late 80s, early 90s that I own and have thrown since then are in the condition they're in. I also really don't use them for drivers now as much as I used to.

About my San Marinos from 91-92 and earlier. I try not to call them DX because I am not even sure that description was used back then.

You remember when Innova started introducing the different plastics?

I still drive Rocs when ever possible, I will rarely use then to approach though. I am afraid of actually hitting the basket/pole/lock/number plate/even the chains scare me (metal target) with old plastic (favorite discs).

Lol. Once somebody has an 8X and goes "It's nothing special, just a white one" it's time to walk away...

"Yeah I got a bunch of 8x backups for that slot...or maybe I could use this '01 CE Roc...nbd" :D

EDIT: saw this is a DX Roc thread...feels like the "mythical" Roc thread. Let's bump that one back up.

Lol. Once somebody has an 8X and goes "It's nothing special, just a white one" it's time to walk away...

It is like those who have a slightly flexible with a little grip standard 11x KC Pro ROC and say it is nothing special. Now most KC Pro as of mid 2010's is as flexible as 11x but has the 12x grip to the disc so it can be slick the way some 12x KC was or the pebbling that other 12x discs had unless glow plastic. Yes 11x can get slick but clean the disc to remove as much of the oils as one can, unless the disc was found outside. Same for the really stiff F2 only KC Glow that is borderline not legal, some say that is nothing special but it is due to how stiff it is.

Sorry this is a DX ROC page.

About my San Marinos from 91-92 and earlier. I try not to call them DX because I am not even sure that description was used back then.

I still drive Rocs when ever possible, I will rarely use then to approach though. I am afraid of actually hitting the basket/pole/lock/number plate/even the chains scare me (metal target) with old plastic (favorite discs).

Nope but remembers when Champion and Pro came out in the same year and CE was fully dropped and hard to find in 2004 -2005.

Curious about when and where you got your Boneheadz, if you can remember.

I got mine at the Pro Worlds in Dayton, from I believe Patti from IFO.

I got mine from John David. Not sure when or where but Dayton Worlds is a possibility. We might have made an even trade for a shirt I designed back then. (I need to bring that back)

The term DX was not used back then. But we all knew each batch/run was different.

Threeputt and I talked about different plastics in an XD thread. We both have bullet stamp era XDs that have the feel of modern day Pro plastic yet I got mine in 1990.
The "pro?" XDs
picture.php

Don't sleep on that used DX eagle...seriously, firebird, beat dx eagle and 4 rocs in various stages of wear...add a putter and you have a solid bag there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I sold discs I had a deal with Disc Golf World to buy from him at the same price I would have gotten direct from the manufacturers because my volume drove his per disc price down and he could sell me smaller orders and keep my inventory nimble; it was a good deal for both of us. The first time I saw the term "DX" was on a dealer list that Rick Rothstein left in an Innova box when he sent us an order in '98. Since the plastic now had a name, I added it to my order sheet heading. The next time I faxed an order to him, Rothstein called me back on the phone wanting to know what the heck DX was. :p

"Pro" plastic was "KC Pro Plastic" though. "Pro" was a catch-all term for upgraded plastic because you already had Tournament Pro plastic and soon there would be Elite Pro plastic from Discraft and Lighting Prostyle plastic. It's funny that Innova managed to eventually snag that term that everybody used.