• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Innova DX Roc

I picked up my first ever Roc about 2 weeks ago. DX. 180g.

I'm not sure how the DX will beat in...
Beat DX Rocs are insanely sweet. If you've ever thrown a Comet then you have a really good idea of what a beat DX Roc will act like.

Many people who like Rocs will keep several Rocs in multiples stages of wear in their bag so that the one mold will cover all the stabilities from slightly overstable to understable. It really is a thing of beauty.

Ok, Roc throwers.

I am thinking about starting a cycle of these things. Picked up a small stack of flat top, DX glows.

Is a fresh one going to fly anything like an MD4?

Thanks.

Nope.

In my experience dx flat tops are fairly straight when fresh. Diehard roc cyclers will tell you the flat tops get unpredictable once they beat in. If you're cycling rocs you want a slight gradual dome...not pop top and not board flat. Glow dx might possibly be a bit more OS to start but I'm guessing nowhere near a fresh md4. Regular dx flat tops sure aren't from what I've thrown.

Nope.

In my experience dx flat tops are fairly straight when fresh. Diehard roc cyclers will tell you the flat tops get unpredictable once they beat in. If you're cycling rocs you want a slight gradual dome...not pop top and not board flat. Glow dx might possibly be a bit more OS to start but I'm guessing nowhere near a fresh md4. Regular dx flat tops sure aren't from what I've thrown.

I can second this

Thanks.

I don't like the feel of a dome on my mids which is why I went with the flat tops. I was hoping that since the Roc and MD4 had almost identical flight numbers they might fly similar. I have a DX Roc3 somewhere and it flies pretty close to my MD4 so I guess I thought a flat top Roc might be close.

I was hoping a cycle of the Rocs could cover the shots for a Mako3, an MD3, and an MD4.

For a while I had a flippy dx roc, fresher dx roc3, and gummy star rancho as the mid setup. Lost the flippy roc and stuck a gstar mako3 in as a short term replacement but it's managed to stay. I've also swapped out the dx roc3 with a reasonably beefy puddle topped champ mako3 for straight shots.

This is not the first time I've heard about this "turning roc" flight lately. I'm almost concerned, but would still like to chalk it up to learning and form stuff.
I have experienced the "turning Roc" and can tell you that in my case it is 100% wrist roll. :( I'm rolling my hand so that the palm is up when I pull through and releasing everything with an anny angle, and the Rocs are turning. When I can manage to NOT do this, the Rocs fly like they should.

Quick solution requiring no improvement in my form? Put some hyzer on 'em! Works every time. :|

Beat DX Rocs are insanely sweet. If you've ever thrown a Comet then you have a really good idea of what a beat DX Roc will act like.

Many people who like Rocs will keep several Rocs in multiples stages of wear in their bag so that the one mold will cover all the stabilities from slightly overstable to understable. It really is a thing of beauty.

I've had mine 2 months now. I've really been trying to beat it in by throwing it on every pitch up on hard pan, putting it for everything inside about 10 feet. Played a Roc only round today and I love how it flies now. It is still stable, but longer and straighter for me than a fresh one. Adding my 2nd DX to the bag, with the 3rd one waiting in reserve.

I've finally got my dx roc beat and I'm experiencing that glidy stage. Kind of reminds me of a star coyote but with more consistent fade. Absolutely love bagging rocs. Also, I find the bottom stamp dx rocs just feel and fly awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My newest Rocs. This DX feels like the Nexus plastic. Will probably cycle one in for the winter.

picture.php

picture.php

If you're going to cycle Rocs, just go KC Pro. DX will cycle way too fast.
Better yet, start cycling Wasps. does the same job better, and seasons slower.

Last edited:
I've been using the same DX Roc 3 for about 4-5yrs. Still plenty stable despite not being the prettiest disc in the bunch (lots of gouges in the rim). DX or KC Pro you can't go wrong. I bag both. When I go to the disc shop I buy my Rocs on feel and shape. Some of the newer KC Pro plastic is too stiff and slick for me. Lately I've been loving the older bottom stamped flat DX Rocs. Money!

Debatable, Ive been cycling a mix of DX and KC for over a decade now and I have DX Rocs that have been in my bag for 5+ years. It might more depend on how rocky your courses are or how often you hit trees.

I noticed you list the Buzz and Comet in your sig line.

Personally, I'm getting impatient cycling Rocs to fill the understable role. It would take a very patient man to get something like a Z Wasp there.

Personally, I'm getting impatient cycling Rocs to fill the understable role. It would take a very patient man to get something like a Z Wasp there.

Not if you wanna pay $50 or so for a JB Wasp or one of the special blends. Personally I throw a Buzzz and a couple Comets in lieu of 5 rocs. (ducks while exiting roc thread)

Do you have a play it again sports near you? I go take a peek at their used bin a few times a month and pretty much always find a perfectly beat in dx roc. One mans trash...

Do you have a play it again sports near you? I go take a peek at their used bin a few times a month and pretty much always find a perfectly beat in dx roc. One mans trash...

I live about 2 miles from one, but they don't carry discs. It is next door to a fantastic disc golf store (Pluto Sports, Knoxville TN) that is very involved in the local dg community, so I don't know if that decision is out of respect or just a coincidence.

I'm definitely keeping my eyes open on the local market, though.

I have a DX Roc that finally took the place of my seasoned X-Comet.
It took 5 years.

I have a KC Pro that flies dead nuts straight.
It's 6 years old

Last month I added a fresh KC

Yeah, base line sucks, nobody should buy that crap:gross::doh::wall::D

I wish my DX Rocs would season faster. For me, it takes at least a year of use to even notice a difference in flight, but I don't hit many trees.

I wish my DX Rocs would season faster. For me, it takes at least a year of use to even notice a difference in flight, but I don't hit many trees.

You could take one of them and do some field work in a parking lot?