• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova G Star?

Was a grippier Star Plastic really in such high demand or did Innova pull a classic business move and make a market when there was none?

I am pretty sure a grippier star plastic would have done quite well, even without this stunt Innova pulled.

I am pretty sure a grippier star plastic would have done quite well, even without this stunt Innova pulled.

I am not sure why people think that Innova pulled a "stunt" in releasing this. They say they are releasing a prototype plastic in order to get reviews and feedback to see if it should be fully released. It's not like Innova was charging 40 bucks a disc or something. It's the guys who buy only to resell that are the reason the prices are going so high.

Innova promoted the disc of Facebook and then later that night stopped accepting orders. I am not sure if it was intentional or not, but it caused quite the stir.

Innova promoted the disc of Facebook and then later that night stopped accepting orders. I am not sure if it was intentional or not, but it caused quite the stir.

Of course it was. Supply and demand. They are just evolving with the market. Every company has a flashy or grippy plastic. It must be nice to be king. Wait for all the smaller companies to come up with something that sells and then just make your own version and act like it's new.

Last edited:
Got a pair of these to mess around with. They don't feel like anything revolutionary, just regular star plastic in a softer blend, but they do feel quite nice. They remind me of the soft star wedges if anyone else here has tried those. At some point during January I'll take these out and do a video. Parked a 375' dogleg right with the green leo my second throw :D

I went online that night to see what the deal with GStar was and I couldn't even get on the site. It was more of an issue with the site having too much traffic than it was Innova intentionally crashing their own site. If they wanted to sell discs, then they wouldn't intentionally keep people from accessing the site.

If they wanted to sell discs, then they wouldn't intentionally keep people from accessing the site.

It's a crappy site, no doubt. But, it wouldn't be the first company to deliberately cause an outage to generate hype. Afterall, they first announced the GStars how long ago...three weeks? And, we're still talking about the "launch" at a pretty good clip.

Personally though, I think it's more a case of their ecommerce platform not being able to handle significant increases in load. They could benefit from some stress testing.

Ick... I feel like I'm talking about work now... lol.

It's a crappy site, no doubt. But, it wouldn't be the first company to deliberately cause an outage to generate hype. Afterall, they first announced the GStars how long ago...three weeks? And, we're still talking about the "launch" at a pretty good clip.

Personally though, I think it's more a case of their ecommerce platform not being able to handle significant increases in load. They could benefit from some stress testing.

Ick... I feel like I'm talking about work now... lol.

I don't disagree that it increased interest in GStar, I just don't think that it was deliberate.

Its sad really, they are a disc maker, not the freaking CIA/NSA.

True, but they are also marketers of their products. Any marketer, regardless of industry, that can create buzz and the perception of exclusivity on their product to generate and accelerate sales will do so.

Personally, I've been part of a "planned outage" to do just that. So, it's hardly a conspiracy to say that a company would do such a thing. (even tho I don't think Innova did - again, they just have a bad ecommerce portion of their site)

While Innova is a disc maker, simply making discs doesn't do a thing for them in terms of growth and profitability. Selling them does. Never underestimate the lengths marketing people will go to for sales.

In reference to the original topic - Gstar plastic - while I'm not a fan of the Leopard mold myself, I think they will be very successful running this plastic off on other molds like the Teebird and TL as they've indicated. Wouldn't be surprised to see production runs in the spring.

Back in Stock, just like Innova said. I wonder how those guys who paid triple feel.

I paid $33 for one and $35 for another while they were sold out...Just picked up one of each color so that takes a little of the sting away :D

It would be fun to watch their inventory feeds on these days especially when they release the teebird in gstar! I imagine they have numerous bets on how quick they will sell out, what will be the most ordered by one person, ect.

Latest posts