• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

disc junkie said:
Jesse B 707 said:
the one thing that worries me with these is how they will beat up, it seems to be just about the perfect stability out of the box (for me) so im a little weary of what it will turn in to

Did you remove the flashing?
none to speak of

That's why I got some champs. I wanted that initial extra stability. Can't wait to toss mine tomorrow. Hopefuly there won't me 30 mph wind like there has been the last couple weeks so I can get a good read on them.

Jesse B 707 said:
disc junkie said:
Jesse B 707 said:
the one thing that worries me with these is how they will beat up, it seems to be just about the perfect stability out of the box (for me) so im a little weary of what it will turn in to

Did you remove the flashing?
none to speak of

Thats rare

As Admiral Obvious would say "Well I imagine itll beat to being a very nyce roller, tailwind and turnover driver "

Nyce on open holes

They've been released.

I got my shipping info and invoice last night from herodisc, so I'm guessing they probably won't show up until tomorrow, maybe even saturday. Still waiting to see what this "chartreuse" disc looks like. Can't really find any info or release numbers for that color.

Got my 170 Pro Katana Yesterday, got out in the snow today to see how it flew:
Went to a field with a 150 R-Pro Boss, Seasoned 171 Pro Starfire-L, 172 Champ Roadrunner, and the 170 Katana.

I max out on D about 400-410 at the moment and throw Wraiths for D. I am a flat to slight anhyzer release thrower and had trouble at first getting the angle right. They required a slight (20 Degree or so) hyzer release, so those of you with hyzer flip drives should love this driver. I was hoping this driver would be a SL on steroids, and its not that far off. Among the drivers I threw side by side with the Katana it flew most like the roadrunner on the high speed portion of the flight, but if given enough height it would finish more like a SL does. Very long "S" flight with about 40 feet of R to L movement across the field.

for those of you who have seen both

is the Pro Katana as domey as the Pro Boss?

How domey is the champ?

The pros are not as domey as the bosses. The champs are much flatter, but have a mild dome.

i havent even got a tracking number from herodisc and i ordered last thurs

Andy-MN said:
They required a slight (20 Degree or so) hyzer release, so those of you with hyzer flip drives should love this driver. I was hoping this driver would be a SL on steroids, and its not that far off. Among the drivers I threw side by side with the Katana it flew most like the roadrunner on the high speed portion of the flight, but if given enough height it would finish more like a SL does. Very long "S" flight with about 40 feet of R to L movement across the field.

20 degrees of hyzer is quite a bit...That's a pretty darn flippy disc...more so than a lot of Champ Roadrunners. It doesn't sound anything like an SL to me. I've always considered the SL to be one of the straightest flying fast discs, and the numbers for the Katana (and the sheer speed) seem to suggest more movement than most other discs. SLs are also stable when new...pretty much requiring a flat throw. :?

dgdave said:
That's why I got some champs. I wanted that initial extra stability. Can't wait to toss mine tomorrow. Hopefuly there won't me 30 mph wind like there has been the last couple weeks so I can get a good read on them.
do your champs have a big old dome like the pros?

marmoset said:
So basically Dave made a durable, heavy R-Pro Boss?
His admiration for those Bosses are no real secret...
it is easier to turn than a new 164 R-pro boss

discspeed said:
Andy-MN said:
They required a slight (20 Degree or so) hyzer release, so those of you with hyzer flip drives should love this driver. I was hoping this driver would be a SL on steroids, and its not that far off. Among the drivers I threw side by side with the Katana it flew most like the roadrunner on the high speed portion of the flight, but if given enough height it would finish more like a SL does. Very long "S" flight with about 40 feet of R to L movement across the field.

20 degrees of hyzer is quite a bit...That's a pretty darn flippy disc...more so than a lot of Champ Roadrunners. It doesn't sound anything like an SL to me. I've always considered the SL to be one of the straightest flying fast discs, and the numbers for the Katana (and the sheer speed) seem to suggest more movement than most other discs. SLs are also stable when new...pretty much requiring a flat throw. :?
i was putting maybe 5 to 10 degrees on mine.
and Dave, im guessing those champs will be pretty flippy without the giant dome of the pros

Tossed around a 163 gram champ one of these yesterday in a field. Clear color bad ass stamp flat on top. My first throw it slipped out early (like a boss does a lot for me) and was a worm burner right into the ground. My next throw was probably the longest shot I've ever thrown I put quite a bit of hyzer on it threw it nice and smooth and it took off on a hyzer flip line. Very far. The problem was it was tough to duplicate this again. The next several throws just flipped into rollers or I didn't get the disc to flip up enough, released early etc.
When you get this thing right it really goes, but there is no telling where. Sometimes it flexes out sometimes it turns and stays turned...... One of the farthest flying and maybe the most unpredictable disc I've ever thrown. I'd only ever throw it with a big tail wind or use it as a roller or trick disc. The R-Pro boss was less flippy after a few hits than this thing. I think it's even flippier than a roadrunner, but this could have been the light weight contributing as well. Fun to throw.....yes.....will it go in my bag, no. Too unpredictable and the rim is just too damn big for me. Novelty disc that will look great on a wall.

I think I'll be waiting for a 175 stabilized champ...That will probably be in about a year. :cry:

TeamTollandDG said:
Tossed around a 163 gram champ one of these yesterday in a field. Clear color bad ass stamp flat on top. My first throw it slipped out early (like a boss does a lot for me) and was a worm burner right into the ground. My next throw was probably the longest shot I've ever thrown I put quite a bit of hyzer on it threw it nice and smooth and it took off on a hyzer flip line. Very far. The problem was it was tough to duplicate this again. The next several throws just flipped into rollers or I didn't get the disc to flip up enough, released early etc.
When you get this thing right it really goes, but there is no telling where. Sometimes it flexes out sometimes it turns and stays turned...... One of the farthest flying and maybe the most unpredictable disc I've ever thrown. I'd only ever throw it with a big tail wind or use it as a roller or trick disc. The R-Pro boss was less flippy after a few hits than this thing. I think it's even flippier than a roadrunner, but this could have been the light weight contributing as well. Fun to throw.....yes.....will it go in my bag, no. Too unpredictable and the rim is just too damn big for me. Novelty disc that will look great on a wall.
im guessing that the pros are more stable than champs from this description

Latest posts