• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Overstable Drivers

Which overstable Innova driver do you prefer for big hyzers (350' & up) and headwinds?

• Star TeeRex-x

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Champion TeeRex-x

• Star TeeRex

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Star XCaliber

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Champion XCaliber

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Star Max

• Champion Max

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Firebird

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Monster

• Whippet

• Total voters
Firebird has always been my overstable workhorse. Only 35 MPH do i feel threatened...

discmania power driver, not quite as overstable as those mentioned, but gets the job done better imo

and the award for most likely to answer the question goes to...

Mike Solt!!!! Come claim your prize Mike!

I have been using a domey champ destroyer for power hyzers. My champ xcal will flip more if there's too much wind. I can't get as much d with a champ firebird or champ max.

I don't like the idea of throwing overstable molds in star plastic. Star beats in too quickly and loses stability. Maybe I should put time and money into testing my thoery of not throwing star for overstable drivers. It just seems to me that if you play courses that have trees star plastic will lose stability to the point where it's not the overstable driver that you bought it to be.

Intersting changes in stability between star and champ.
Destroyer more stable in champ
Xcal less stable in champ
Max more stable in champ

Of course this all depends on how domey.

Teerex's aren't overstable. They're stable. I use the Firebird for my overstable slot.

edit: and the new blunt nosed Rex's are understable :D

I have yet to throw an Innova disc 350' on a big hyzer line into a headwind. My form isn't the best, but my Teerex-Xs and Starfires didn't cut it. They would flip flat occasionally if the wind is strong enough, so I couldn't count on them. I haven't thrown the more overstable discs like the Max or the Xcaliber in to the wind, so I can't comment on them. The local guys here seem to really love their poppy top champ Destroyers and Forces for that shot though, and it works great even into strong winds.

tumpsi said:
Teerex's aren't overstable. They're stable. I use the Firebird for my overstable slot.

edit: and the new blunt nosed Rex's are understable :D

Even the x molds will flip enough that I avoid throwing them into headwinds.

So far the star max is the best overstable driver I've tried by innova. I just replaced mine with a flick however. The flick doesn't get as good of yardage, but I find it a little more consistent in headwinds. Monster isn't long enough.

I like the star xcal very much for the shots in question. Never tried the force though, and that seems to be the main competition.

I use the star max for less d or bigger winds.

flicks are great when new. they just seem to lose their overstability too quickly. i'd rather keep something in my bag for longer than a month.

i chose star max for the throws described. i actually use a star wraith for longer hyzers. i can keep them pretty stable, even on long throws. but my max is for shorter hyzers 350' and under, or headwinds.

Latest posts