• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Stud: New PnA

Premium plastic is like GI irons and baseline plastic is like blades. You may get consistency with the GI, but there are some shots that require the playability of blades.

Nice analogy. I do have some DX Proto Colts and a DX Stud. Having said that, for the shots I throw with these discs, Star plastic is just fine, maybe better as it's premium and won't wear down and out very quickly. I'm not saying DX is bad; I'm sure many will prefer it. For me, though, that premium Star plastic and the Colt and Stud are just awesome.

And yes, someone will clamor for these molds in Champion, or Pro, etc., and soon. Metal Flake would be great, yes? :thmbup:

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but how does the Stud compare to the Envy?

What plastic types is the Stud available in currently? Future types?

Currently Star and DX. Nothing else announced for future plastics as far as I know. In the CCDG interview with Dave Dunipace though, he mentioned that he bags GStar Studs (and Colts) so I'm guessing we'll get the Stud in GStar too. Knowing Innova, if it's popular they will probably get around to champ and maybe XT eventually as well, but for now we have 1 baseline and 1 premium plastic.

What plastic types is the Stud available in currently? Future types?

I'm thinking that XT would be amazing, just because my gut has got my brain thinking that the XT will 'fix' the domeyness that kinda makes the disc uncomfortable for putts. Not to mention softer versions would really make this thing a favorite for putts in the circle. The fade is so consistent, which makes it killer already, but I am biased in my love for softer putters :)

Currently Star and DX. Nothing else announced for future plastics as far as I know. In the CCDG interview with Dave Dunipace though, he mentioned that he bags GStar Studs (and Colts) so I'm guessing we'll get the Stud in GStar too. Knowing Innova, if it's popular they will probably get around to champ and maybe XT eventually as well, but for now we have 1 baseline and 1 premium plastic.

Yes, I heard Mr. Dunipace say that about GStar Studs and Colts. My first thought was surprise that they didn't put GStar ahead of Star in getting runs out. My second thought is that we are going to see the Stud and Colt out in GStar fairly soon.

(Side note: thank you, Mr. Dunipace, for putting the Star Colts and Studs out first!!! :clap: )

So I do think we'll see the Stud and Colt out in more plastics over time, but I have no idea of the pace of schedule on those...

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but how does the Stud compare to the Envy?

I have not tried an Envy, and I want to try one. I was looking at PIAS and other places for a Neutron Envy today, and did not find one to buy. Oh well, we'll keep looking, and as soon as I have comparison data, I'll make another post here.

I can say this much: I have Proxys, and they are very similar to the Colts... very straight approach discs. I like the Colt a little better because I can power down on it, and I don't feel I can power down well and consistently on the overmold discs. But they are both shallow and fly similarly. I would have every expectation that the Envy and Stud are going to be similar to each other, also.

I was able to get a few throws in with the stud today (granted not enough to get a solid opinion yet). Mine is a 175 star stud which sadly has a decent amount of dome.

My initial impression is that it is going to be a great driving putter for shots where I want straight with a bit of fade at the end. It is definitely not OS at all and seemed to handle power well without any desire to turn. I also had a few buddies toss it and the consensus was "like the way it flies...too bad its domey". The other thing that stood out was that it didn't have near the glide that my star colt does.

So at this point I'm on the fence. Hoping that when they get around to a GStar they mold up flatter.

I'm getting old and nostalgic. Classic Rocs were great discs; the Wings stamp was one of Innova's best. Then I find out they going out-of-production.

I thought that the proto-Colts were solid. If Innova has retired the CR, at least they're bringing out a fine replacement. Then I find out the production Colt is not so stellar.

Having been kicked twice, I'm clinging to a faint hope that the Stud might be the Classic Roc ... or the proto-Colt ... or both.

How does the Stud compare profile and flight-wise to a Classic Roc?

The stud is almost exactly like a flatter classic roc. The colt is slightly more undertable.

Two DX 175's ... I like 'em. Straight flights when thrown flat, 10-15' high, with little to no turn and a bit of fade on throws out to 275-280'. On shorter throws the fade is a bit more pronounced but still easy to keep them straight. They hold a sweeping hyser out to 250'. I didn't try any anhysers but I expect these will fly great working against the neutral flight and slight LSS fade. They're probably a decent putter although I have no reason to replace my Wizards.

SonicGuy and a couple others mentioned cycling these (DX) things ... I agree. Unless they go completely wonky, a beat DX Stud will likely fly like a Proto-Colt. In Dave D's AMA he suggested that the Stud was like a baby Roc; I agree with that also and hope they'll (DX) beat in the same way a Rancho Roc does.

Not quite the same hand feel as a Classic Roc but pretty darned close. (The Studs feels slightly "thicker", probably due to the convex lower V-tech rim vs the concave rim of the Classic Roc.) I haven't seen anything, yet, to make the DX Stud a better Classic Roc but it seems to be a decent replacement. I'm looking forward to taking one of these out for one-disc rounds at some of the shorter woods courses.

Nothing will beat the Classic Roc's Wings Stamp ... the Stud is not even in the ballpark. Still trying to decide if I'll remove the Stud stamps.

Nice disc. I'll buy 3 more to have a set of 5 for backyard/field practice. For the my DX production Colts, I'll probably carry those in my vehicle to give away to kids in the park.

Well I got my 2 DX Studs and 1 Star Stud in the mail today. Didn't make it to the course yet, but my first impression is that this blend of DX is amazing! It honestly feels more like "Drive Pro" than DX to me. It's firm and stiff and even a little glossy. If I picked up a blank disc in the store in this blend of DX I might even mistake it for Star, which I don't think I've ever thought about a DX disc before. It's firm and stiff like the Thunderbird DX, but not quite as tacky/grippy. It's more similar to new Star plastic in that it's a bit slicker, but I'm sure it will lose that quickly on the course. I'm excited to see how this blend beats in over time; Mr. Dunipace, please, please run some DX Rocs soon. The blends of DX lately have been fantastic!

Anyway, as has been pointed out here several times, the DX Studs are *almost* flat. Mine have just the slightest of domes, but nothing to make anyone complain about. The Star has a bit more dome, but honestly it doesn't really bother me. If I were trying to putt with it or throw it forehand, it would probably bother me, but for backhand drives and upshots, it's fine. No one who throws Rancho Rocs should have anything to complain about here. Now I've just got to make it out to the course to play a round with these.

^^^ that description of DX plastic sounds gross. I want buttery dx, not slick and hard.

^^^ that description of DX plastic sounds gross. I want buttery dx, not slick and hard.

If you think Star is slick and hard then you don't want this blend of DX. However, I suspect after a few rounds on the course, it will be much more buttery and less Star-like. The glossiness beats off of Star discs fairly quickly and I'm guessing this DX will lose it even quicker. We will see.

Did a little testing during warm up before our rounds today. The Stud is just a tic more stable than my proto Colts of the same weight.

I threw them on the same lines several times back to back and the stud will out fade my Protos by a few feet. The Stud also seemed to have a tad more glide.

So I put the Stud in the bag and used it a few times during my rounds instead of my go-to Colt. I could see the stability of the Stud come out more on longer throws where the my Colt would be straighter finishing with a more fore ward fade.

I am gonna run both in the bag for a bit but, I will say if you were a fan of the Proto Colt this would be the most direct replacement for them in feel and almost flight wise. Especially for a readily available, off the shelf, production disc. I could see myself being able to drop the Protos if I did not prepare and buy a stash before the change.

Heck, the Stud might replace my Protos in the bag, I am sure with a little use the Stud will work into the the same straight flight and low to no fade for my approach shots.

I am gonna run both in the bag for a bit but, I will say if you were a fan of the Proto Colt this would be the most direct replacement for them in feel and almost flight wise. Especially for a readily available, off the shelf, production disc. I could see myself being able to drop the Protos if I did not prepare and buy a stash before the change.
Heck, the Stud might replace my Protos in the bag, I am sure with a little use the Stud will work into the the same straight flight and low to no fade for my approach shots.

Thank you for the update. What you're saying about potentially replacing the proto Colts is true. If one likes Star plastic (like I do), then substituting the Stud for DX proto Colts might work out very well, and the Star plastic should take longer to season in, thus keeping the Stud's flight properties longer with a smoother mellowing out process.

My DX Stud feels pretty grippy, not waxy and slick like some DX discs I got a few months back (particularly a couple of DX Cobras). My DX Colts are similar to the Stud in a decent, grippy DX blend. I'd suggest finding a DX Stud (or Colt) in the store and checking it out, or just order one DX Stud. If the DX feel is not to your liking, pay the disc forward to someone to get them into the game.

I got out for a short round with my Studs today. I have to say the disc surprised me a bit. Both Star and DX were much more overstable than I thought they would be. For everyone comparing these to the proto Colt mold, sorry, but these are seriously NOT that disc. I have a dozen or so proto Colts, all in XT (which was generally more stable than DX). I think I can definitely say that DX and Star Studs are more turn resistant, have less glide, and fade harder than any proto Colt I've thrown.

Interestingly, I was expecting the Star Stud with its extra dome to be the more overstable of the two plastics, but mine definitely is not. When thrown with 75% power on a hyzer line, the Star flips up more and fades less than the DX. The DX had pretty much no turn or flip up whatsoever and a pretty dumpy fade. They also don't have nearly the glide that my XT proto Colts have. Distance-wise, the DX and Star Colts were going about the same distance, probably about 275 is as far as I pushed them. The Star was just ending up a little straighter and the DX further left (RHBH), but the Star didn't seem to pick up much extra distance. Proto Colts are pretty easy for me to push over 300 and I don't feel like the Studs will go that far until they get beat in a bit. I think the DX Stud is honestly more overstable than a lot of DX or KC Pro Rocs I've thrown out of the box, which is not what I was expecting out of it. I can still see the Stud being a pretty useful disc. It might slot right in between my DX Rocs and Pigs in terms of distance and stability. It's not bad, just not exactly what I was expecting.

My flight numbers for these (for whatever they're worth):
DX - 3.5 3 0 3
Star - 3.5 3 -0.5 2

I got out for a short round with my Studs today. I have to say the disc surprised me a bit. Both Star and DX were much more overstable than I thought they would be. For everyone comparing these to the proto Colt mold, sorry, but these are seriously NOT that disc. I have a dozen or so proto Colts, all in XT (which was generally more stable than DX). I think I can definitely say that DX and Star Studs are more turn resistant, have less glide, and fade harder than any proto Colt I've thrown.

Interestingly, I was expecting the Star Stud with its extra dome to be the more overstable of the two plastics, but mine definitely is not. When thrown with 75% power on a hyzer line, the Star flips up more and fades less than the DX. The DX had pretty much no turn or flip up whatsoever and a pretty dumpy fade. They also don't have nearly the glide that my XT proto Colts have. Distance-wise, the DX and Star Colts were going about the same distance, probably about 275 is as far as I pushed them. The Star was just ending up a little straighter and the DX further left (RHBH), but the Star didn't seem to pick up much extra distance. Proto Colts are pretty easy for me to push over 300 and I don't feel like the Studs will go that far until they get beat in a bit. I think the DX Stud is honestly more overstable than a lot of DX or KC Pro Rocs I've thrown out of the box, which is not what I was expecting out of it. I can still see the Stud being a pretty useful disc. It might slot right in between my DX Rocs and Pigs in terms of distance and stability. It's not bad, just not exactly what I was expecting.

My flight numbers for these (for whatever they're worth):
DX - 3.5 3 0 3
Star - 3.5 3 -0.5 2

Thanks for the reviews. I'm also finding that the Star Colt gives more distance than the Star Stud, though I've had the caveat of several windy days in a row and being unable to compare them in calm conditions.

:gross: Seriously? wow...

But if it flies like a D Zone then it certainly has a place in my bag.

It's possible that the DX one I was throwing today was just an anomaly and the flight of my Star is more how the mold is supposed to fly. I've got one other DX that I haven't thrown yet, so I guess when I throw it I'll see if it's more similar to the DX I threw today or more similar to the Star. I'd say the Star definitely flew more how I was expecting these to fly than the DX did. I'd like a little more glide than I was getting, but that could develop after break in. I've never thrown a D Zone. The ESP Zones I've thrown were definitely more OS than these, but I know D plastic tends to be less stable (and beat in faster), so these could be similar.

Latest posts