• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Stud: New PnA

Update: got the Star Stud in the mail today. Light blue, with a really nice multi-color sparkly first-run stamp. Looks awesome, Star plastic is firm and feels great in the hand.

Took it to the course. The wind is stronger than it was the other day when I took the DX Stud out with the Colts. Gusts that I believe were 30-40 mph, no joking. Not as wet as the sun was out, but that wind today was strong.

So, I took my Opto Pure, Discmania P3, Dismania MD, DX Stud and Star Stud out. And I found some things:

1. The Stud is more overstable than the Colt. Even my fresh, first-time-thrown DX Proto Colts were NEVER as overstable as the Studs are. The Star and still-fresh DX Studs have a consistent fade.

2. The Stud performed incredibly well in the wind. I tried to wait until the gusts died down, but there was still a steady wind blowing. Into the wind and in crosswinds, I was surprised and very impressed how well the Stud, especially the Star Stud, glided in the wind on full-power throws off the tee. The Opto Pure did okay, but even it got turned over in a headwind. The other discs were getting knocked down and around. The Stud flew well, getting really good distance for these conditions. I like the Opto Pure and think it arguably be the best driving putter out there, but it will be fun to see if the Stud gives it strong competition in more reasonable conditions.

3. It was hard to determine accuracy on shorter range throws (like 100 ft.) to the basket. The Colt, especially the Proto-DX Colts and the Star Colt, are very laser-straight on approaches, and I still get surprised how often they hit metal somewhere, and occasionally actually goes into the chains and the basket. In a headwind, the Star Stud did fly pretty straight at the basket. I will have to test further, but I think in calmer conditions the Stud is going to fade more. That will make it a better hyzer disc than the Colt, but it is likely not as dead-straight as the Colt.

4. On putting inside the circle: that was a joke today. IMHO even McBeth would have to work to make good putts in that wind today (yes, I saw the USDGC and continue to be stunned by his ability to putt in adverse conditions). But what I did see from short 10 foot putts is that the Pure went straight in while the Star Stud tended to fade like an OS putter. The DX Stud was slightly better to putt with, but also wanted to go OS.

So my conclusion is that the Stud is the overstable compliment to the Colt. Maybe that new Manta will be the understable cousin for the trio, but we'll see. But the Stud/Colt combination, as I've said before, is going to be an awesome part of my bag. I've been accused of being over-enthusiastic, so I won't go off saying "THE COLT AND STUD ARE AWESOME, AWESOME AWESOME!!!!", but I feel that way on the inside. :) :thmbup:

And kudos to Innova for these two awesome molds! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
How does the Stud compare profile and flight-wise to a Classic Roc?

Apologies, but I don't have a Classic Roc with which to compare. The Stud is a smaller diameter than the VRoc and Roc3. The Stud is also not domey (like the Colt is not domey, especially the proto-Colt), and might be likened more to the Roc3 than the VRoc (my understanding is that the VRoc is molded from the San Marino Roc) The Stud is V-Tech like the Colt and VRoc, but the bead on the Stud seems slightly smaller to me than the Colt.

The wind was interfering with me getting good flight trajectories that I want to see in calmer conditions, so I'll have to report back when I get that info. I can say that the Stud is definitely overstable, and fades like the Roc3 and VRoc normally fade when thrown straight and flat.

As one who putts with Classic Rocs I've been following the Stud as it could solve my availability issues with the now OOP CR mold.

Got a few DXs and Stars in the mail yesterday. All are 175's, and from my observations the Star's I've received have a little "pop" to them where as the DX's don't. I prefer a firm top so the DX's are right in my wheelhouse and what I will be discussing from here on out.

I threw a few putts with the DX's yesterday and they flew pretty similar to the CR's; enough that I couldn't really tell a difference. Initial thoughts were good. Wanting to share my thoughts with you guys, I went out again today and they felt just as good, if not better. It was a little breezy, but I felt very confidant putting with them.

I don't have much experience approaching with the CR's, but have been working on driving putters in the off-season for that very reason. I haven't taken the studs out to an open field yet, but I was able to do some short <250' approach shots in my backyard. After throwing both newer CR's and Studs, I would give an initial edge of high speed stability to the Stud.

What I really seem to be liking at the moment is the Stud's shoulder. Without getting into the specs, the DX's feel more solid which is something that concerned me about the DX CR and ultimately why I've made the decision to switch putters to the Stud.

p.s. With this being my first post, does that mean I'm not a stalker anymore? :confused:

Apologies, but I don't have a Classic Roc with which to compare. The Stud is a smaller diameter than the VRoc and Roc3. The Stud is also not domey (like the Colt is not domey, especially the proto-Colt), and might be likened more to the Roc3 than the VRoc (my understanding is that the VRoc is molded from the San Marino Roc) The Stud is V-Tech like the Colt and VRoc, but the bead on the Stud seems slightly smaller to me than the Colt.

The wind was interfering with me getting good flight trajectories that I want to see in calmer conditions, so I'll have to report back when I get that info. I can say that the Stud is definitely overstable, and fades like the Roc3 and VRoc normally fade when thrown straight and flat.

Classic Rocs only share the name with Rocs, not comparable in any respect. Colts and Rocs also have nothing in common. I would hesitate to give that comparison at all.

Proto Colts flew exactly like Classic Rocs to me. It seems clear that Innova is fashioning a way to retire the Classic Roc and XD mold pieces by replacing them with hip new "V-tech" discs instead of simply refurbishing the original molds. Expect both of the molds to disappear from Innova website sometime this year.

Maybe that new Manta will be the understable cousin for the trio

The Manta will almost assuredly be a V-Tech stingray, right?

Classic Rocs only share the name with Rocs, not comparable in any respect. Colts and Rocs also have nothing in common. I would hesitate to give that comparison at all.

It may not be a good comparison; I was just trying to give out what info I could.

Proto Colts flew exactly like Classic Rocs to me. It seems clear that Innova is fashioning a way to retire the Classic Roc and XD mold pieces by replacing them with hip new "V-tech" discs instead of simply refurbishing the original molds. Expect both of the molds to disappear from Innova website sometime this year.

I agree with you on Innova's intent. V-Tech is not bad at all, and of course Innova wants to take our $$ from us by putting out new designs. Unfortunate for the lovers of the CR and XD molds, though.

That's the consensus opinion of the cognoscenti, but who knows fer sure. It could be a V-Tech of the (traditional) Cobra, with the VCobra being a variant of the King Cobra. But it probably is the V-Stingray. But I am not going to rush out to buy a Manta... only thing still on the want list is a Neutron Envy...

That's the consensus opinion of the cognoscenti, but who knows fer sure. It could be a V-Tech of the (traditional) Cobra, with the VCobra being a variant of the King Cobra. But it probably is the V-Stingray...

The 2016 Innova catalog describes the Manta as the Vtech stingray

And there you go.

Side note: I need to find a copy of the 2016 Innova catalog....

Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/downloads/innova-catalog.html

From the catalog:

The Manta is a new VTech version of the Stingray that offers more control. The Manta has a gentle turn when thrown with power, and smooth straight glide when thrown flat with moderate power. The Manta is a good choice for beginners, and is ideal for players looking for a "beat in" Mid-Range for finesse shots.

As one who putts with Classic Rocs I've been following the Stud as it could solve my availability issues with the now OOP CR mold.

Got a few DXs and Stars in the mail yesterday. All are 175's, and from my observations the Star's I've received have a little "pop" to them where as the DX's don't. I prefer a firm top so the DX's are right in my wheelhouse and what I will be discussing from here on out.

I threw a few putts with the DX's yesterday and they flew pretty similar to the CR's; enough that I couldn't really tell a difference. Initial thoughts were good. Wanting to share my thoughts with you guys, I went out again today and they felt just as good, if not better. It was a little breezy, but I felt very confidant putting with them.

I don't have much experience approaching with the CR's, but have been working on driving putters in the off-season for that very reason. I haven't taken the studs out to an open field yet, but I was able to do some short <250' approach shots in my backyard. After throwing both newer CR's and Studs, I would give an initial edge of high speed stability to the Stud.

What I really seem to be liking at the moment is the Stud's shoulder. Without getting into the specs, the DX's feel more solid which is something that concerned me about the DX CR and ultimately why I've made the decision to switch putters to the Stud.

p.s. With this being my first post, does that mean I'm not a stalker anymore? :confused:

Thanks for that. You sound like a guy who knows Classic Rocs.

I'm getting old and nostalgic. Classic Rocs were great discs; the Wings stamp was one of Innova's best. Then I find out they going out-of-production.

I thought that the proto-Colts were solid. If Innova has retired the CR, at least they're bringing out a fine replacement. Then I find out the production Colt is not so stellar.

Having been kicked twice, I'm clinging to a faint hope that the Stud might be the Classic Roc ... or the proto-Colt ... or both.

And now, you tell me the Stingray is going away (yes, it has been changed many times before)...?? Dammit!! <<goes off to count how many *good* DX Stingrays are in the bin>>

The stud is almost exactly like a flatter classic roc. The colt is slightly more undertable.

Here are some pics.

The first one is a stack of Proto Colts and Studs, all in DX of course :thmbup:. Can you tell which is which?

The next photos show the PLH and then the slight dome between the two. Proto Colt is left, Stud is right in these pics.

SD, I did look and compare the "shoulder" between the two and there is a touch more height on the Stud as you noted. I feel that slight/very slight rise is pretty much not delectable in the hand/feel between the two.

Now, I just have to wait until Sunday to test the Stud. BTW, it is gonna be in the 70's here that afternoon :D!

Attachments

• IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 87
I think the question will be: why buy Colts when you can cycle the "better" stud? And I think the answer will be clear.

They should have made the colt beadless to truly replace the xd.

SonicGuy-I think the question will be: why buy Colts when you can cycle the "better" stud? And I think the answer will be clear.

Excatly! I am hoping the Stud can be an off the shelf replacement to prolong the life cycle of my Proto Colt stash OR better yet never have to use them at all :thmbup:.

The Proto Colt is my current go to approach/shorter mid range disc, when I do my part correctly... it goes long and straight where I point and shoot it!

Last edited:
SonicGuy-I think the question will be: why buy Colts when you can cycle the "better" stud? And I think the answer will be clear.

Excatly! I am hoping the Stud can be an off the shelf replacement to prolong the life cycle of my Proto Colt stash OR better yet never have to use them at all :thmbup:.

The Proto Colt is my current go to approach/shorter mid range disc, when I do my part correctly... it goes long and straight where I point and shoot it!

If you (plural) are talking DX Studs, you may be right about cycling them. Star Studs and Colts may be a different story.

One thing I have not ascertained is whether a Stud can become the laser-straight disc the Proto-Colts and the Star Colts are. My intent is to bag both in Star plastic to cover the straight shots as well as the more OS shots.

Last edited:
If you (plural) are talking DX Studs, you may be right about cycling them. Star Studs and Colts may be a different story.

One thing I have not ascertained is whether a Stud can become the laser-straight disc the Proto-Colts and the Star Colts are. My intent is to bag both in Star plastic to cover the straight shots as well as the more OS shots.

I will clarify...I have no use for a premium version of either, just DX for me and I'm good :thmbup:!

I will clarify...I have no use for a premium version of either, just DX for me and I'm good :thmbup:!

I'm the other way, I prefer the Star versions. :thmbup: Premium plastics take longer to season in, retain their flights longer, don't wear out as quickly, saving me green dollar bills.

I'm the other way, I prefer the Star versions. :thmbup: Premium plastics take longer to season in, retain their flights longer, don't wear out as quickly, saving me green dollar bills.

Premium plastic is like GI irons and baseline plastic is like blades. You may get consistency with the GI, but there are some shots that require the playability of blades.

Here are some pics.

The first one is a stack of Proto Colts and Studs, all in DX of course :thmbup:. Can you tell which is which?

The next photos show the PLH and then the slight dome between the two. Proto Colt is left, Stud is right in these pics.

SD, I did look and compare the "shoulder" between the two and there is a touch more height on the Stud as you noted. I feel that slight/very slight rise is pretty much not delectable in the hand/feel between the two.

Now, I just have to wait until Sunday to test the Stud. BTW, it is gonna be in the 70's here that afternoon :D!

Thanks for posting pictures.

Latest posts