• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Stud: New PnA

Bottom line: the Stud and Colt are superior to the Proxy and Envy, especially when powering down. Innova, Discraft, and Trilogy mids and approach discs are superior to MVP/Axiom discs such as the Proxy and Envy.

OK

I don't even really throw mvp any more but the envy and proxy are very good discs.

Maybe you throw weird

Last edited:
Okay, first that shouldn't be happening with the Envy. And second, the Proxy isn't a US putter, but is perfectly stable and completely fadeless. Don't let "Gyro" psyche you out. :D

Just go with the Stud's fade instead, lol.

Fair enough, inBounds shows the Proxy as stable and Axiom also describes it as such, so my calling it US was definitely wrong. I guess I think of it that way because of how many putters are rated 0/1 or 0/2, so it's less overstable than much of the competition. Saying it's fadeless isn't exactly accurate since it's a -1/1.

If you've thrown both the Stud and Envy, do you disagree then that the Envy's end of flight fade is heavier? That's what I'd been seeing. Worked great on drives off the tee, but short ranges approaches thrown flat didn't fly flat enough for me to get comfortable with. I've never given Gyro technology a second thought, but in this case it seemed possible that it could explain what I was seeing.

Last edited:
Fair enough, inBounds shows the Proxy as stable and Axiom also describes it as such, so my calling it US was definitely wrong. I guess I think of it that way because of how many putters are rated 0/1 or 0/2, so it's less overstable than much of the competition. Saying it's fadeless isn't exactly accurate since it's a -1/1.

If you've thrown both the Stud and Envy, do you disagree then that the Envy's end of flight fade is heavier? That's what I'd been seeing. Worked great on drives off the tee, but short ranges approaches thrown flat didn't fly flat enough for me to get comfortable with. I've never given Gyro technology a second thought, but in this case it seemed possible that it could explain what I was seeing.

Your other post was pure MVP/Axiom bashing, attributing erroneous characteristics to both the Proxy and Envy. Now trying to walk it back? No big deal, whatever.

Where did you get -1,1 for the Proxy?

Anyway, throw what's best for you...simple.

That's what I thought you meant and it's spot on with my experience. I bought a soft Envy based on the positive talk it gets for drives and approaches, but I ended up really unhappy with it. On anything less than a 200 foot drive I had to factor in a really heavy fade, almost as hard as my Zone. It got to the point where I was anhyzering it just to make it go straight for a 100 feet, which was totally aggravating. Doesn't happen too often where I completely disagree with the popular opinion of a disc, but it sure happened with the Envy.

Even the Proxy fades out harder than I feel like is reasonable for an US putter :\

???

100' is the length of my driveway

Bottom line: the Stud and Colt are superior to the Proxy and Envy, especially when powering down. Innova, Discraft, and Trilogy mids and approach discs are superior to MVP/Axiom discs such as the Proxy and Envy.

Lol, even I think the Envy/Proxy combo are one of the best in the game for short range drives and approaches.

I've actually played long enough to have thrown most of the discs you talk about.

jonkimbertx:

Sorry if my replies to you seem overly harsh. Just that there's a history here of bashing MVP for this reason or that. Maybe hold onto your Proxy and Envy to revisit at a later time, you never know.

Anyway, good luck with the Stud. Sounds like you like how it flies.

jonkimbertx:

Sorry if my replies to you seem overly harsh. Just that there's a history here of bashing MVP for this reason or that. Maybe hold onto your Proxy and Envy to revisit at a later time, you never know.

Anyway, good luck with the Stud. Sounds like you like how it flies.

Tell me about it...stumbled into a bloody war zone apparently. Appreciate the apology.

If you were genuinely curious, Proxy is rated as -1/1 on Infinite, Community, and inBounds. Other sites rate it differently.

Lol, even I think the Envy/Proxy combo are one of the best in the game for short range drives and approaches.

I've actually played long enough to have thrown most of the discs you talk about.

He didn't really mean it. That was just an adult meltdown.

Tell me about it...stumbled into a bloody war zone apparently. Appreciate the apology.

If you were genuinely curious, Proxy is rated as -1/1 on Infinite, Community, and inBounds. Other sites rate it differently.

Yeah, again sorry about that.

I'd rate the Proxy at 0, 0...but that's IMO. It's known for its uncanny straightness, at high or low speed. I've had it bagged for about 3 years now. I've also thrown a lot of other putters over the years, from OS-Stable-US.

I'd rate the Proxy at 0, 0...but that's IMO. It's known for its uncanny straightness, at high or low speed. I've had it bagged for about 3 years now. I've also thrown a lot of other putters over the years, from OS-Stable-US.

The shot I have the most success with is the Simon-style anhyzer bomb, Proxy holds that line beautifully for 250+. I think what gets me in trouble on short throws (like every other putter) is the rim depth, which is shallower that most but still a bit deeper than midranges. Haven't quite figured out how to keep it from hooking on my fingers and taking a trip to OAT city. With the Stud it's been a non issue cuz how how shallow it is.

Also, am I wrong that the Envy has a beaded bottom and the Proxy doesn't? It's hard to tell with the overmold, but that always messed with me, too.

The shot I have the most success with is the Simon-style anhyzer bomb, Proxy holds that line beautifully for 250+. I think what gets me in trouble on short throws (like every other putter) is the rim depth, which is shallower that most but still a bit deeper than midranges. Haven't quite figured out how to keep it from hooking on my fingers and taking a trip to OAT city. With the Stud it's been a non issue cuz how how shallow it is.

Also, am I wrong that the Envy has a beaded bottom and the Proxy doesn't? It's hard to tell with the overmold, but that always messed with me, too.

Yep, putter rims vary a lot(depth and shape) and are an adjustment from mids, when throwing. Proxy's a shallower, lower profile putter.

You have an Envy, you tell me if it's beaded. :D

Actually the Envy is not a beaded putter, per se. But a little of the core will extend under the rim(overmold), so it may appear that way...some more than others.

Last edited:
Even though I do love the proxy/envy combo (I bag it), I will go to say that the proxy is -1,1. If I rip it flat it is turning and not really coming back. But if I hyzer flip it it will flip up to flat and have the tiniest hint of fade at the end. On shorter shots it will fade on me, and if given enough height it will fade. If I were to split hairs I'd call it -.5/.5 but -1,1 gets the point across
Regardless, this is quite the almost on topic thread jack, so I apologize for my posts about discs other than the ones mentioned in the title.

Even though I do love the proxy/envy combo (I bag it), I will go to say that the proxy is -1,1. If I rip it flat it is turning and not really coming back. But if I hyzer flip it it will flip up to flat and have the tiniest hint of fade at the end. On shorter shots it will fade on me, and if given enough height it will fade. If I were to split hairs I'd call it -.5/.5 but -1,1 gets the point across
Regardless, this is quite the almost on topic thread jack, so I apologize for my posts about discs other than the ones mentioned in the title.
Any oat?

I can see that at max power/max distance throws with it. But I use the Proxy for approach and short hole drives...you know, as intended. ;)

:how's the DX plastic in the Stud?:

I can see that at max power/max distance throws with it. But I use the Proxy for approach and short hole drives...you know, as intended. ;)

:how's the DX plastic in the Stud?:

Hence the "flat rip" ;) but yes it is very straight on anything under 330 or so. In fact I parked a 305? 310? Something like that footer today with my proxy. Drop in bird. @ranger no OAT as far as I can tell, discs fly like they should throughout my entire range of power. But, of course, I could be wrong

Hence the "flat rip" ;) but yes it is very straight on anything under 330 or so. In fact I parked a 305? 310? Something like that footer today with my proxy. Drop in bird. @ranger no OAT as far as I can tell, discs fly like they should throughout my entire range of power. But, of course, I could be wrong

I'll use it on drives to 300' or so, and step up to a mid beyond that.

:don't like the Stud stamp...Innova retro, meh::

Latest posts