• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Tern

ljerome said:
I have not thrown the Star but the Innova disc chart gives the Champ the exact same rating as the Wahoo. No way the Tern turns like the Wahoo. A good bit more HSS. I agree with fightingthetide 12/5/-1/2 which matches the Teedevil rating but I have never thrown that disc.

The Bli Teedevil i have is more like 12/5.5(due to weight)/-0.5/3.

I don't have a very good impression of the Stars as I only have a 166 and a 175. The 166 is definitely stable (has some starlite in it I'm sure) and has a PLH as high as any of my other Terns. The 175 is less stable than the 175 Champs, but I haven't thrown the 175s much as I'm preferring the lighter weights in this mold. Pretty much I'm carrying the Champ and Star 166s for distance and they are a good pair with the Champ being about +1 more HSS. These 166s bomb and don't seem too bothered by mild headwind. My 172 Champs are straighter and get really good low line distance.

Overall these kind of remind me of a faster Beast as they are versatile and glidey for their speed. Compared to a Sword they are less HSS, more glide, and longer. The Sword is like a slightly faster Wraith for me.

Discspeed, or anyone else, have you thrown a Trespass? I'm hearing the lighter ones (not Lucid Air) are much more like a -2,2 in flight...or sometimes even less stable. Wasn't sure if you could compare them to the Tern.

i played in a dd 2 disc challenge ant threw a tresspass but it was 172 and lucid. i would put it right between a vip sword and a champ tern like a fast esp surge for me.

Fightingthetide said:
Discspeed, or anyone else, have you thrown a Trespass? I'm hearing the lighter ones (not Lucid Air) are much more like a -2,2 in flight...or sometimes even less stable. Wasn't sure if you could compare them to the Tern.
FWIW the Terns I've thrown were pretty much dead nuts straight, or as close as a warp speed driver can get to it. Trespasses on the other hand had a decent turn and a definite fade.

jubuttib said:
Fightingthetide said:
FWIW the Terns I've thrown were pretty much dead nuts straight, or as close as a warp speed driver can get to it. Trespasses on the other hand had a decent turn and a definite fade.

Damn that comment and the earlier longer Beast comment are what i've been wanting and preaching for a long time which plastic is like that for you Champ or Star? I imagine the Champ thanks to the reported HSS. Since there are variations which shape is the straightest? Dome and PLH.

Got a chance to air out my Star Tern today down at Pickard Park(Playing the long layout). Threw a couple pretty good bombs with it(At least they were bombs for me). Put it to within 200 on hole 3. And then on hole 6 threw a monster turn over that left me with about an 80-90 foot upshot. I also carry a Champ Tern and noticed that the flight numbers vary quite a bit between the two. The Champ is 12/5/-2/2 and the Star is 12/5/-4/2. The shots I threw with the Star seemed to mimick those flight numbers pretty close.

BLURR said:
Got a chance to air out my Star Tern today down at Pickard Park(Playing the long layout). Threw a couple pretty good bombs with it(At least they were bombs for me). Put it to within 200 on hole 3. And then on hole 6 threw a monster turn over that left me with about an 80-90 foot upshot.
Those are bombs! You are 100' longer than my longest throws on those two holes! :shock:

Steady 26542 said:
BLURR said:
Got a chance to air out my Star Tern today down at Pickard Park(Playing the long layout). Threw a couple pretty good bombs with it(At least they were bombs for me). Put it to within 200 on hole 3. And then on hole 6 threw a monster turn over that left me with about an 80-90 foot upshot.
Those are bombs! You are 100' longer than my longest throws on those two holes! :shock:

I threw it some more last night and I must say, this disc goes a long, long way for me. It is consistently out pacing my destroyers/scorpius by 30-50. And those were my longest throws on those two holes that I have ever had. Normally I am a good 150-200 out on hole 6 and usually a soft teebird hyzer out on hole 3.

Fightingthetide said:
Can anyone compare the Tern to the DD Renegade?
I go back and forth between these as my main distance drivers. I have a ch. Tern in the high 160s and a Star a tad lighter. I have two Lucid Renegades, 168/173.

I believe the Terns are longer on my best throws. The Renegades are very close. In terms of stability, there seems to be no difference between the two Renegades, and one will eventually be either sold or kept as a back up.

Stability is hard to describe. The Ch. Tern is clearly the most overstable. It even handles a decent amount of wind at my distances. The star Tern seems to be very similar to the Renegades at high speed, moving right a good bit if thrown flat. The difference is at low speed. The tern comes back a good amount, while the renegades just don't want to.

I have thrown many distance drivers since the Destroyer came out but I think the Tern may finally push them out of my bag. At my power level (425' in good conditions with a champion Destroyer from 2008) the Destroyer works for me but it is almost too much disc. The Champion Tern has only a slight turn at speed but its fade is later than any other distance driver I have thrown. I also think the Tern is more forgiving if my angle of release is not just right. I ordered one of the Ken Climo editions of the Tern and I will report how much more stable it is when I get it.

PMantle said:
Fightingthetide said:
Can anyone compare the Tern to the DD Renegade?
Stability is hard to describe. The Ch. Tern is clearly the most overstable. It even handles a decent amount of wind at my distances. The star Tern seems to be very similar to the Renegades at high speed, moving right a good bit if thrown flat. The difference is at low speed. The tern comes back a good amount, while the renegades just don't want to.

I have a 175 lucid renegade that I've had a few practice sessions with and just got a 171 champ F2 tern that I picked up to fill out my order of retro circle stamped eagles from the Innova pro shop. Those eagles are crazy overstable BTW. Tonight was the first chance to compare the two at a local rugby field in 5-10mph direct head and tail wind. In previous field work I've been getting the renegade further on average with more consistency than any of my other max D tailwind drivers (D4, flippy D1, seasoned star boss, and esp nukes which occasionally fail like a D4 turn and burn or a warp speed wide rim slip hyzer out early).

My initial impression is that the 171 jolly launcher tern is LESS overstable than my 175 lucid renegade and the faster tern has more distance potential. They're wasn't a huge difference in HSS backhand but the renegade showed me more fade. After a couple hours chasing 17 discs, I tried flicking with little to no wind at sunset. The tern would flip up and over for a tight s-curve to just over 300' at 90% power less than 10' high. For reference, my flippy D1, normal max D FH disc, was going the same distance but needed full power on a similar hyzer angle but did not flip. The renegade, while this is the first time I've tried to flick it too, would hyzer out a lot shorter and not turnover like the buttery smooth tern, therefore the renegade is obviously more HSS stable than the tern IMO. My best downwind pulls tonight were with my 169 bio trespass averaging 410-420 with the longest 435' downwind but needed more room to work than either the tern or renegade. My best throws up winds were 390' (bio trespass, flippy D1) with the tern and renegade 360-370' on hyzer flip with little to no fade staightish lines. I'm certain there is more potential D with the tern once I figure out how much hyzer it needs to keep from pulling too far off line to the right. Finally, in one bad upwind shank, I skidded the tern some 100' across the adjacent parking lot. The jolly launcher plastic barely showed a mark 8)

My two renegades are losing flash and becoming even more under stable. The light one will be downwind only from now on. My older Ch Tern continues to fight light to mod wind.

PMantle said:
My two renegades are losing flash and becoming even more under stable. The light one will be downwind only from now on. My older Ch Tern continues to fight light to mod wind.

:arrow: I've only had my 175 renegade for 10 days and roughly 50 field throws. I can still feel a fair amount of sharp flashing over a least half the bottom rim and just a tickle over the remainder so I could see it losing more stability. The tern already has a smooth bottom and I don't think my pavement slide wore off any flash that might have been there since it only has one very light scuff less than a cm long from that screw up. I think I'd like the renegade to loose more stability to get closer to the tern. I kind of like its smaller rim for more control like I'm getting from its big brother the trespass. Odds are the tern or renegade will only be a calm/tailwind driver for me unless I can duplicate those hyzer flip tight s-curve sidearm results I was consistently getting with the tern last night.

When I go to DD in September, I am going to be on a mission to find a more stable(yes, I'm one of those) Renegade. Hope to find some higher PLH ones than what I have, but still be close to or under 170.

PMantle said:
When I go to DD in September, I am going to be on a mission to find a more stable(yes, I'm one of those) Renegade. Hope to find some higher PLH ones than what I have, but still be close to or under 170.

Sweet! 11,6,0,0 Renegades! Let me know how that goes for you :wink:

PMantle said:

I played minis tonight with a guy who said his bio-fusion renegades were more stable than his lucids.

7ontheline said:
PMantle said:

I played minis tonight with a guy who said his bio-fusion renegades were more stable than his lucids.
Interesting. Not taken a chance on a bio since I assumed the opposite.

PMantle said:
7ontheline said:
PMantle said:

Interesting. Not taken a chance on a bio since I assumed the opposite.

I have an EMac renegade, which I assume is close to Bio, and it takes 100% to make it fly as advertised. I love it.