• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Tern

I haven't thrown a TD2, but I've handled a few, and they look more like the Mambas I'm talking about, re PLH.

Very understable Mambas PLH is so low it's almost touching the surface when laying flat. These other Mambas aren't like that, PLH is quite a bit higher. Still an understable disc, but much more workable...hyzer flip to straight, controlled anhyzers, even sweeping hyzers.

I had a Champ Valkyrie in the bag at the time I got these Mambas, and they both flew basically the same, with the Mamba being faster and longer. I dropped the Valkyrie for the Mamba.

BentElbow11 said:
Thanks for the tips on the Tern in different plastics. I don't like throwing any 'blizzard' or 'air' discs though. Also, I've tried the champ Tern and I think the Renegade owns it. You should try a Lucid Renegade at 170g or below. If you do, make sure you deflash it. That will really open up the glide and take some of the fade out.

I've always been afraid of doing that to a disc. I just let the trees and rough ground take care of that flashing for me. Takes a bit longer,but at least I don't flub up a disc which knowing my luck would happen lol.

Heard good things about the Renegade,but I really like my Terns. When I'm on, I'm on with a Tern. I can hit them over 400 feet everytime when i'm feeling good or power them down with my climo grip. Very good disc once gotten use to or when I feel good. :p

What I do is very gently rub the disc in a circular motion on a fairly smooth concrete surface, pressing down lightly and only removing the flash so it's smooth. You could also use fine grade sandpaper.

I liked the champ Tern, but it's an "S" curve driver. The Renegade is straighter and more controllable, IMO. Oh, and just as long! It also has a narrower rim, 2.1cm vs 2.3cm.

UncleBrother2001 said:
I carry 2 Champions a G-Star and a Star. They all work great and will cover every shot I need even when powered down. Well except for the wooded shots that is.
Haha, me too.

I also own 3 Renegades. They are not used any more.

Well, I don't like curvy drives like you get with the Tern. I don't rely on S curves in my driving. The Renegade is a straighter flyer, IMO. Great for hyzer flipping to straight, with minimal fade. I've only thrown the 'Lucid' though.

My Renegades are way more understable than my Champ Terns. There is no S with those on my throws unless I anyy them or throw them into the wind. The only reason there is no S with my Renegades is: they don't come back. That's why they got benched.

They shouldn't be. It could be speed related, or maybe weight. What weights are your Renegades? And also, which plastic? Fusion and Bio-Fusion will break in much quicker than Lucid.

The champ Tern's I've thrown were Katana-like, too much lateral movement. Fun to throw, but not on courses...for me.

Okay on your Renegades. Rated at -1.5 turn, 2.5 fade. I'd put my Lucid at -2, 2 with the flashing gone. It can be flippy with some anhyzer or into the wind, but that's not how I throw it. It's my stable-understable driver for hyzer flip straight drives and controlled anhyzers. I use a champ Orc and/or QOLF for OS duty.

I guess the champ Terns are straighter like Innova claims, although my 2 first runs with the star stamp weren't.

My Star might as well be a different mold just as the listed numbers suggest. -4 2. Still trying to figure out the GStar, but so far it seems to fit right in between.

How can your Lucid Renegades be too understable if your Star and G Star Terns are -4,2, or thereabouts? Do you just prefer the Tern?

Agree. I actually hate that my Renegades are so consistent. I bought a few hoping they would cover diffenet winds. Nope, pretty much the same.

Have you guys seen on Ebay that someone is selling a St. Patricks day Tern for 40 bucks? That's nutz man

The only reason I really didn't go for the Renegades was 1. I've always felt that the Latitude/Westside/DD flies more understable than what the numbers lead you to believe. 2. I've got so much time and energy wrapped up in my Terns that I don't really want to look for another high speed driver as the Tern suits my style of play better.

Going back to how all the Trilogy plastics fly understable than what the numbers say. I've never threw DD except for The Judge,but I have experience with many Latitude 64 and Westside discs and they fly much more understable than what it says on the disc. My buddy has a DD Escape. He likes it but he says it flies a lot more understable than he thought it would.

My Terns however will stay in my other bag and when I can get to where I can throw the champion plastic 390ft+ all the time then all of them will go back into my main bag. I still have some days where I can throw them great on one hole then on another hole I'm struggling to get it to 390. These are my Champion plastics. My G-Star and Star Tern always throw really good for me. the Champion is just a bit different in feel,but I will eventually get to where I can throw these things great. :D

UncleBrother2001 said:
Have you guys seen on Ebay that someone is selling a St. Patricks day Tern for 40 bucks? That's nutz man

The only reason I really didn't go for the Renegades was 1. I've always felt that the Latitude/Westside/DD flies more understable than what the numbers lead you to believe. 2. I've got so much time and energy wrapped up in my Terns that I don't really want to look for another high speed driver as the Tern suits my style of play better.

Going back to how all the Trilogy plastics fly understable than what the numbers say. I've never threw DD except for The Judge,but I have experience with many Latitude 64 and Westside discs and they fly much more understable than what it says on the disc. My buddy has a DD Escape. He likes it but he says it flies a lot more understable than he thought it would.

My Terns however will stay in my other bag and when I can get to where I can throw the champion plastic 390ft+ all the time then all of them will go back into my main bag. I still have some days where I can throw them great on one hole then on another hole I'm struggling to get it to 390. These are my Champion plastics. My G-Star and Star Tern always throw really good for me. the Champion is just a bit different in feel,but I will eventually get to where I can throw these things great. :D

<<"Have you guys seen on Ebay that someone is selling a St. Patricks day Tern for 40 bucks? That's nutz man">>

I can find them in the clearance bin for $10 in a couple more months. Always see the remaining special stamped seasonal discs in there.

<<"I've always felt that the Latitude/Westside/DD flies more understable than what the numbers lead you to believe">>

I've thrown some Flows and Rivers that were the opposite. But in general, I think it may be true. Could be the flashing issue with Lat 64 and Westside...how much flashing was on the testers.

Champ Terns are more stable than Star or G-Star, and are rated as such by Innova.

I can get more snap, straighter flight, and very near equal distance out of my Lucid Renegades. Both have great glide, but I think the Renegade is slightly better in that respect too. AND I actually think the Renegade is more stable than the Tern, but the Tern needs more power to reach it's optimal cruising speed(and true flight). That could be why some consider the Renegade more understable. The Renegade is like a broken-in Wraith, with enhanced glide.

So would you say a Renegade throws similar to a Pro Wraith then? I have thrown a Pro Wraith before. It was the first driver I broke 400ft with :D

A Fusion or Bio Fusion maybe. I was talking about Lucid Renegade/Champ Wraith. A Champ Wraith takes a lot to get beaten in. But if you can imagine that, then think Lucid Renegade out of the box. Same rim width, same speed, same sharp wing, and similar flight.

BTW, the Renegade kicks the Flow's a$$ bigtime! Flow's are all over the place in stability, power hungry, and strangely touchy too. The Renegade is much straighter, smoother in flight, and easier to throw.

If you're worried about the Renegade being too understable, stick with Lucid and get a heavier one, at least 170+.