• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Tern

JHern

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I picked up a first run, same great plastic they used for the Roc3. Katana-esque shallow rim depth, but the wing is not as wide. I have a feeling these are going to be a big hit, anyone throw a bunch of these yet?

I have one, but I have nothing of substance to add. It's too fast for me to really tell what it's supposed to do. The plastic is nice, though.

*adds something after he says he has nothing to add*

I'm planning on adding a "this is too fast for me but everybody else is doing it so what the Hell" driver to my bag. The Tern and Krait are early leaders for that slot. The Krait is more comfortable in the hand and they fly exactly the same for me (because I have no business throwing either one) so I'll probably go with the Krait. The Tern does seem to fly farther for me than some other high-speed discs I've tried like the Vulcan and the Archon, and it doesn't seem to dump as badly as a Boss as it slows down.

If you have any other questions about how discs I can't throw fly for me, I'll be here all week. :p

I've always been all for using at least one disc that is too much for you as a yardstick and motivation to push yourself farther. Not to mention some great results when the stars align and forcing flexibility and finger muscle power training. For perhaps one day mastering wider winged drivers after being trained hard with massive wings. Not necessarily as regular or go to driver mind you.

Straight then left is a perfectly viable and justifiable line and if a hot rod discs achieves that with more D and equal or better consistency as a shorter slower disc i say go for it. Maybe not each time but to push you forward. Don't give up you never know when and how you can overcome the form detail that keeps you from achieving more distance. If lucky a good disc can push you beyond your current limit if it does not demand more than you can give. It is a long shot but sometimes you can shoot the moon. Spoke like a true disc whore cough.... You decide.

Everytime I see this disc mentioned I have to do a double take reminding myself that this new disc by Innova is not called the "Turd".

sunspot said:
Everytime I see this disc mentioned I have to do a double take reminding myself that this new disc by Innova is not called the "Turd".

Nor is it the "Turn" as a lot of others have misunderstood.

JHern said:
sunspot said:

Nor is it the "Turn" as a lot of others have misunderstood.
eBay asks me about this on every search :lol:

Anybody know where I can find this in Star plastic? From what I've read, Star Terns are more understable than Champion Terns. But there don't seem to be any Star Terns.

according to the innova website the tern is only available in champion plastic.

http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/distance-drivers/speed-12/tern.html

I found the following at Infinite Discs:

Innova states that the flight rating of this disc in Star and Champion plastic slightly differ. The flight rating for Champion Plastic is 12/6/-2/2.

I don't know if it's just a mistake, or if we will see Star in the future. I sure hope so, as I hate Champion for distance drivers.

PMantle said:
I found the following at Infinite Discs:

Innova states that the flight rating of this disc in Star and Champion plastic slightly differ. The flight rating for Champion Plastic is 12/6/-2/2.

I don't know if it's just a mistake, or if we will see Star in the future. I sure hope so, as I hate Champion for distance drivers.

Innova does that with just about every release. New discs get released in champ. People buy it. When sales start to drop, they run it in Star plastic. People buy it. People like new things. Ever notice that Taco Bell has something new to try every month? Check out the new CantinaBell menu... http://www.cantinabell.com/

i have picked up a couple of these easy distance disc with very smoothe transitions. really rewards good form. it compliments my surges very well.

I got one last week. I like it a lot. It has become my distance driver. I always get a high-speed turn with it. I've only turned it all the way over once or twice. Usually get a nice S-curve, with lots of glide. Even if I get the nose up, the low-speed fade is not excessive.

My wife started playing about 8 months ago and was throwing about 225. I bout her a turn and it added about 40 feet to her drives. I've played a few rounds with it and found it gets easy distance even for inexperienced players. It is a very forgiving disc.

Low fade and good distance with low power requirement discs makes discs forgiving for new players especially if the disc is not fussy about nose angles. The lack of HSS is not as bad for 200' throws as it is for 300' or more so no wonder a disc that has two or three of those characteristics is easy to throw. Anyone can use a disc like that as long as the HSS is added with added power. I have not thrown the Tern but description wise Beasts should be easier to power to stay straight in light weights and are more HSS in the ones made in the last few years (not the quickly breaking in DX though) so they would be at least easier to grip and aim consistently. If not equally long considering the lower speed. The Beast has the benefit of being long for the distance and the least fussy disc of that distance about the nose angle and not being terribly power hungry like most fast discs. So a triple win with a but. Being more HSS it won't turn with a clean form at 225' so to delay the fade at such a low power vs what makes the Beast really shine needs an anny release. It is not hard just throw a flat throw with the disc tilted in the hand.

River is a less power hungry slower shorter Beast and a Sidewinder is a less HSS Beast with a hair less LSS so suitable for 225' throwers.

A friend of mine has a Champion Tern that is brand new with no tree hits yet. It's basically a Destroyer. I will wait for the Star which will have slightly different numbers.

Save for one exception that i know about the HSS of the Destro that Tern sounds more OS than normal. Only broken in Pros flip in Destros and low PLH Blizzards i don't count because Blizz is a crap shoot anyway.

Wow isn't the Scorpius supposed to be a beefy disc? I didn't try one because the numbers and descriptions i heard of it didn't seem to make it superior to Bliz Bosses, lighter nukes etc. That sounds like you got a Tern that is not what Dunipace intended. If it is supposed to be Katana type disc which is notorious for having huge stability differences between plastics. Flat ones being beefy until a headwind hits it and Pro flipping a lot in rear wind. Sometimes i wonder if the discs should stop being named and being test thrown and having the description printed on it. Roller, flippy, understable, straight, overstable or something like that. It is discomforting to see so much variation within one mold and to me it seems that things are getting worse rather than better in the last few years for many molds mostly newer ones. GRR :roll:

Latest posts