• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

(insert pro disc golfer's name) leaving (insert established disc golf company name)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No clue about the percentages thing
Ya, what was that supposed to be about? Like you have to throw a certain percentage of DDs discs????
No decision yet. I've still got 3 days lol.
HAHA. A fellow procrastinator...deadlines are such a pain in the behind.

Ya, what was that supposed to be about? Like you have to throw a certain percentage of DDs discs????

I think he was wondering more if like they were gonna limit you to maybe only 5 other company's discs in your bag or something like that. I could see it being more of a set number than a %.

Ha, no prodigy offer here, just deciding between Discraft and DD. Super tough decision, I love both companies.
Care to discuss it a little? What's it like for a disc golfer to be deciding between two great companies? What are the offers like?

Quite a few pros left their sponsers for an "unknown" new company. Turns out the company is known and is Prodigy Disc Golf. The pros made announcemnts that they are leaving but didn't reveal the company and said they would announce everything on the 1st of January. Some people are cool with it, some aren't. There were a couple drifts, can't remember what they were about and now we're here.

And PM and MJ are staying where they are.

Oh. :|

Thanks, RTS! :)

Care to discuss it a little? What's it like for a disc golfer to be deciding between two great companies? What are the offers like?
It's honestly a really hard position to be put in. I've been with DD since it started back in 06' (got sponsored at Am worlds) and I've been with Discraft since 09' (got sponsored at the Memorial). Obviously the huge difference is that one was an apparel sponsor and the other was a Disc sponsor. I've witnessed the growth of Rusco's company DD since it was in the basement of a frat house to now having like 3 stores in 3 different states I believe. (KS, MO, TX correct me if I'm wrong). Rusco is an amazing individual and I totally like the direction he is taking disc golf. Discraft has always been there for me as well though and makes amazingly consistent plastic. It's not as personal of a relationship but they have treated me great. I honestly feel fortunate that they even sponsored me to this day. The hard part comes down to, do I stay with what I already know or go with something completely new? Obviously there has to be something outweighing that decision.

As for the sponsorships I honestly don't know what to expect from DD or Discraft. I know that with Discraft it's team level based. So if I stayed with them I'd be looking at 150 discs next year for my allocation and the normal $$$ Bonus's for top 4 in an A-tier and higher. That is if the sponsorships stay the same next year, which it sounds like they might be changing some things but won't tell us till next year.

As for DD I have a general idea what I'd be looking at but he's working on the team documents currently and doesn't want to release them till they're finalized (which makes sense). I know that Rusco would get me what I needed though and would do his best to make sure each team member is happy.

So as far as choosing based on sponsorship criteria, that's not gonna happen seeing as how I'm not even positive on exactly what I'm getting from either. That means I am going to make my decision purely on the discs that I will be throwing and the company I see growing themselves and myself the most.

I definitely understand being stuck with a decision between two great options. I appreciate that you've taken the time to describe your unique situation and given us a glimpse into the life of a sponsored disc golfer during this somewhat big transition stage of the sport. We're lucky to get to hear from you before you make the decision!

It's honestly a really hard position to be put in. I've been with DD since it started back in 06' (got sponsored at Am worlds) and I've been with Discraft since 09' (got sponsored at the Memorial). Obviously the huge difference is that one was an apparel sponsor and the other was a Disc sponsor. I've witnessed the growth of Rusco's company DD since it was in the basement of a frat house to now having like 3 stores in 3 different states I believe. (KS, MO, TX correct me if I'm wrong). Rusco is an amazing individual and I totally like the direction he is taking disc golf. Discraft has always been there for me as well though and makes amazingly consistent plastic. It's not as personal of a relationship but they have treated me great. I honestly feel fortunate that they even sponsored me to this day. The hard part comes down to, do I stay with what I already know or go with something completely new? Obviously there has to be something outweighing that decision.

As for the sponsorships I honestly don't know what to expect from DD or Discraft. I know that with Discraft it's team level based. So if I stayed with them I'd be looking at 150 discs next year for my allocation and the normal $$$ Bonus's for top 4 in an A-tier and higher. That is if the sponsorships stay the same next year, which it sounds like they might be changing some things but won't tell us till next year.

As for DD I have a general idea what I'd be looking at but he's working on the team documents currently and doesn't want to release them till they're finalized (which makes sense). I know that Rusco would get me what I needed though and would do his best to make sure each team member is happy.

So as far as choosing based on sponsorship criteria, that's not gonna happen seeing as how I'm not even positive on exactly what I'm getting from either. That means I am going to make my decision purely on the discs that I will be throwing and the company I see growing themselves and myself the most.

109 pages, and this is the best, hard, information yet! Thanks for sharing how the sponsorship deals work, for those of us who are new.

Yes, thank you Pat for just laying it all out for us. Your post reminded me of Liz Lopez' video. You guys really are faced with a big, important decision.

Awesome post, and good luck with whatever deal you decide to go with.

How much is the bonus money?

Honestly, I think a pro could play very will with only 4 molds. Think about what a lot of the Innova guys throw: Destroyer, Teebird, Roc, Aviar. Of course, they all have multiple discs of each in varying stages of wear to cover a lot of different types of shots at a given distance. I think any of the said DD guys could play just as well with only the four DD discs that were just released.

Honestly, I think a pro could play very will with only 4 molds. Think about what a lot of the Innova guys throw: Destroyer, Teebird, Roc, Aviar. Of course, they all have multiple discs of each in varying stages of wear to cover a lot of different types of shots at a given distance. I think any of the said DD guys could play just as well with only the four DD discs that were just released.

It's logical that DD players will also be able to throw Lat 64. At least for now.

Very true. I used to do this but I'm up to five. What changed was that it takes so much longer to beat in plastic now than it did 10 yrs ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.