• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Introducing SD, Salient Discs

Latitude 64's "Why"

Salient Disc's "Why"

That's cute. Now would be where I quote him calling people trolls and calling other companies hippie engineers and every other thing that had me rolling from a PR person but I won't waste the time. It's in here. I've gone back. It's awesome. Latitude has achieved their goals in my opinion and I sure hope Salient is able to achieve their's.

That's cute. Now would be where I quote him calling people trolls and calling other companies hippie engineers and every other thing that had me rolling from a PR person but I won't waste the time. It's in here. I've gone back. It's awesome. Latitude has achieved their goals in my opinion and I sure hope Salient is able to achieve their's.

Wasn't lat64 doing its thing before MVP, Legacy, Prodigy, DD went with lat64, etc.?

In any case, the SD "why" seems very realistic and perhaps that is a good business model right now. There are a lot of older manufacturers that don't seem relevant to me, that are still making discs, so maybe it is a business that can profit with low investment, and just might hit the right product to get bigger as well.

Wasn't lat64 doing its thing before MVP, Legacy, Prodigy, DD went with lat64, etc.?

In any case, the SD "why" seems very realistic and perhaps that is a good business model right now. There are a lot of older manufacturers that don't seem relevant to me, that are still making discs, so maybe it is a business that can profit with low investment, and just might hit the right product to get bigger as well.

I have no idea what's going on right now. I'm getting responses all over the place about things I don't even remember having conversations about here. It devolved into prodigy somewhere a long way back and I was only talking to the two who quoted me. Latitude has nothing to do with Salient either. It should be about Salient and how well they are doing with future customers and their methods of selecting testers. :D

"DD is not a manufacturer really I was a fan of Latitude long before they launched their line." -SteezeOG

You were saying?

No one was trying to counterpoint anything I didn't even know you made a point.

My point is that Prodigy, much like SD and Lat themselves, didn't sign a contract and let someone else make a product for them. I guarantee DD would've had just as many issues if they did everything themselves.

As for your Lat succeeding point, do you remember when Lat entered the market? I doubt it. They stumbled just as much. You're judging a company four months into existence, not to mention one that is still in the preliminary stages, against companies that have had the time to iron out the bugs.

Unless someone has some very, VERY deep pockets, it is unrealistic to expect a start-up company to go through all the R&D under the radar and produce the magic bullet upon their going public with their plans.

Hype and PR are important tools to getting those products out the door. Some do it better than others, but 5 years from now, who's to say who the winners and losers will be.

I just fail to understand the butt-hurt in all these threads for new companies, like they personally offended you.

85% of my bag is Lat64... just added a Westside Tursas too and loving it. I'm a Swedish fan all the way. My favorite disc in the bag right now is my Prodigy M1 though... and my D1 and D4 fly forever. I'm very excited to try the Salient product too and it will only stay in the bag if it lives up the hype... Maybe we're saying the same thing... I'm just closing my mind to it like some because of post on this silly forum. Those don't mean squadoosh when it comes to plastic flying.

Everyone is ignorant and uninformed. I started playing one year ago. I went online to find some cutting edge technology because my friends are idiots. I discovered MVP and Vibram. My buddies have discovered MVP, I'm still pushing Vibram on them.
And I'm ONE player. Turn me on to something and the rest will fall in line.

Everyone is ignorant and uninformed. I started playing one year ago. I went online to find some cutting edge technology because my friends are idiots. I discovered MVP and Vibram. My buddies have discovered MVP, I'm still pushing Vibram on them.
And I'm ONE player. Turn me on to something and the rest will fall in line.

Haha
Also, you carry too many putters

coming from another fanboy

fanboy? i have innova and discraft in my bag. hardly a fanboy. i was just saying that to criticize someone for gushing over prodigy or other 100% new companies isnt the same as gushing over DD because DD have contracted their discs out to a very well known successful company, Lat64. So they didnt go in making mistakes like Prodigy and such.

Yes I carry way too many putters. There are always some on loan. Like when somebody brings their girl throwing for the first time and gives her a Destroyer.

I think the problem here is that there is a very fine line to walk between generating buzz and over promising. Chris and his friends are obviously passionate about what they are doing (as anyone starting a new company should be). But I think they might be crossing the line a bit from just generating excitement in the community (which they need) and generating hype which they can't possibly fulfill (a la what Prodigy did).

I completely understand that Chris doesn't want to talk flight charts yet. He's still producing prototypes and experimenting with the molding process for crying out loud! The first disc isn't even finalized so creating flight charts is a complete waste of time. He also wants to save some of the details to talk about when the disc comes out, which is completely understandable. However, instead of just saying this, he says something about the disc not fitting on a traditional flight chart which is just silly. Of course it will have a flight pattern which can be mapped on a chart (and I'm sure Inbounds will do so). Hopefully, given their attempt at consistency, the discs you buy will actually match that pattern better than those from other manufacturers match theirs.

I have seem consistency issues with Innova, Discraft, Lat64, Prodigy, Vibram, and every other manufacturer I have ever bought discs from. Sorry, fanboys, ALL of them produce some percentage of their discs which do not fly the same as the charts/stats. Unfortunately, that percentage seems pretty high for some manufacturers. I can certainly get behind a manufacturer trying for better consistency and nicer feeling plastics. Like Mike C said, brand loyalty to a disc company is a funny thing; personally, I'm always willing to try new things.

I tried Prodigy DESPITE all the hype, early manufacturing issues, etc and some of their discs made it into my bag, mainly because their plastic feels nice and they fly well. They don't "add 50 feet to my game" but they fly well. The whole claim about adding 50 feet to your drives just needs to die. For someone who has tried a lot of what's out there, I have serious doubts that anything that meets PDGA specs will be able to add 50 feet to my drives. Adding distance is 70% having good technique and 30% finding the discs that match your level of speed/snap/release angles/etc. Everyone is different, so the disc that works well for one player won't necessarily do so for another player. Given that there are several hundred discs in the market exploring most of the spectrum of the allowable PDGA specs, the likelihood of a "magic bullet" disc that would add 50 feet of distance, even for a small percentage of golfers over anything else they could get from other manufacturers is really small.

That said, I'm always happy to try new discs, whether it's Innova's new mid rangers or SD's new distance driver (or hopefully someday Prodigy's fairway drivers). I love the excitement of buying something new with the hope that it will be amazing and fill a spot in the bag better than what is already there. I'm a sucker for new plastic and I spend way too much money on it every year; however I do so knowing full well that most of them will not stay in my bag in the long run. That's just reality.