• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Introducing SD, Salient Discs

Ive yet to fondle these, and have no dog in the fight, but, shouldnt we wait until this stuff is out before we get the pitchforks out? Shouldnt we at least gie them a chance to live up to the consistency levels they are trying to achieve?

As far as his 'why'; What exactly was the answer you were looking for? Is there an acceptable answer for you guys? I doubt it, but if there is, how would it go?

As far as his 'why'; What exactly was the answer you were looking for? Is there an acceptable answer for you guys? I doubt it, but if there is, how would it go?

yeah, got to agree with you on this one. I don't understand why it matters.

There is no acceptable/unacceptable answer. Having a strong 'why' is meant to inspire other people to believe in your vision so strongly that they become your most passionate and vocal advocates.

Think of Apple or to a lesser extent, even Grip EQ.

The vision and passion drives the product, not the other way around.

I don't know about you, but having a company's 'why' be "to give players some really cool discs, shoes, bags etc to use while playing" doesn't inspire me.

I love hypocrites

Obviously. Oh not the Salient PR person? Cause here's the definition for that word.

a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

Like when he said he was done giving details cause they had a secret company meeting and now he's back picking what he wants to say and to who. That's a hypocrite.

I'm not a disc manufacturer calling anyone with an opinion that doesn't fill my ego a troll.

I think he's running his business image into the ground before launch based off this thread and now that I see their slogan about hippie engineering I'm even more convinced of this. First premium disc golf line. Defies traditional flight ratings or charts. Eat it up. I can smell it from here.

I don't know about you, but having a company's 'why' be "to give players some really cool discs, shoes, bags etc to use while playing" doesn't inspire me.

Then I am hoping that at this point we can respectfully agree to disagree because I feel the opposite.

For better or worse, I do not see any manufacturer focusing too much in growing the sport into the realms of additional corporate sponsorship and prime time exposure. I guess Vibram is with the Vibram Open, but that still seems more of a local attempt than a national one.

I do like the idea of newer/ smaller companies trying to make the sport flashier. At the end of the day all that matters is your score, but there is definitely some glamour and fashion showing involved in this sport. What sport does not have it? Have you seen some of the uniforms that college football teams have, and their stadiums? How about NASCAR? Look at golfers, both ball and disc, and tell me that some of them are not trying to make a fashion statement.

If being flashy does not inspire some, I can respect that because there are so many different facets of this game to get excited about, but again I am going to disagree and say that I am looking forward to something that is flashy. Keep in mind that I am not going to replace my Roc3s, TeeBirds, or Leopards (yes, all Innova).

I have no idea what Apples or Grip EQs "why" is...nor do I care or know anyone who cares. When it comes down to it, the quality to price ratio of the product is all that matters. We all know a ton of fanboys, do you think even the slightest majority of them know what the company the gush over "why" is?
don't you have to have vision and passion to create the product? can you elaborate more on what you mean by this?

I think he's running his business image into the ground before launch based off this thread and now that I see their slogan about hippie engineering I'm even more convinced of this. First premium disc golf line. Defies traditional flight ratings or charts. Eat it up. I can smell it from here.

I think i missed something. where did they/he say "hippie" engineering? if they/he did, I can see where your agitation would come from.

I think i missed something. where did they/he say "hippie" engineering? if they/he did, I can see where your agitation would come from.

Oh I'm not agitated. I'm amused at this point. It's like watching a car accident. You feel bad but it's so hard not to want to be entertained. He responded to some simple criticism with some responses you don't get from many companies looking to make a good name before launch. The tagline is in kilgus sig. Calling everyone else who makes discs inconsistent because of hippie engineering. It sounds elitist and his claims are laughable. Give it a read. Good stuff.

I should stop reading this thread but once it turned more into prodigy than his own company I figured what the heck.

There is no acceptable/unacceptable answer. Having a strong 'why' is meant to inspire other people to believe in your vision so strongly that they become your most passionate and vocal advocates.

How many products do you own because you are familiar with, and agree with the owners mantra or reasoning behind starting said business?

Im gonna guess you own zero pairs of 'Toms', own a mac, probably dont shop at your local organic grocery mart or farmers market. Likely own some nike apparel, or adidas or under armor.

Just sayin... To try and hold a disc golf company to the standards of a hipster shopper is silly and not how most businesses operate.

This thread is some of the most ridiculous **** I've ever read.

I'm looking forward to throwing some of your fancy new plastic, SD.

We all know a ton of fanboys, do you think even the slightest majority of them know what the company the gush over "why" is?

Of course they don't know what the "why" is, but for some reason using those products makes them feel like they're a part of a fairly exclusive club. Using those product makes them feel special. That's the difference.

Look, I'm not here to put on a management level sales seminar, I'm just saying that so far SD's posts and company attitude, arrogance towards potential customers, and overall corporate philosophy on these forums is really off-putting and less than inspiring.

This is only my $.02

And unlike SD, I'm actually signing off this thread so I can instead :popcorn:

Of course they don't know what the "why" is, but for some reason using those products makes them feel like they're a part of a fairly exclusive club. Using those product makes them feel special. That's the difference.

Look, I'm not here to put on a management level sales seminar, I'm just saying that so far SD's posts and company attitude, arrogance towards potential customers, and overall corporate philosophy on these forums is really off-putting and less than inspiring.

This is only my $.02

And unlike SD, I'm actually signing off this thread so I can instead :popcorn:
Everyone makes mistakes, it just happens. Chris really stopped posting in this thread til the initial release. The testers are being shipped out this week and the Official release is in its final stages. When I get word from Chris I will give yall the release date.

Kilgus' signature reads: "Hippie" engineering is a thing of the past, Salient Discs: first premium disc golf brand.

I think it's an incredible boast. If it turns out their discs can fly a thousand feet from the hands of an intermediate-level player then so be it. If they are merely normal discs which fly like normal discs then such arrogant statements are uncalled for. The phrase "First Premium Disc Golf Brand" could easily end up being used as a joke in the future.

Who cares! I'd gladly test anything for them. Heck, I'll even test a coozie! Lighten up, they are just taking pride in their company.

Kilgus' signature reads: "Hippie" engineering is a thing of the past, Salient Discs: first premium disc golf brand.

I think it's an incredible boast. If it turns out their discs can fly a thousand feet from the hands of an intermediate-level player then so be it. If they are merely normal discs which fly like normal discs then such arrogant statements are uncalled for. The phrase "First Premium Disc Golf Brand" could easily end up being used as a joke in the future.

Dude it's just a slogan, something catchy to grab someone's attention. No need to over analyze it

I would be glad to answer your question and tell you that I am an advocate for disc golf and have played the game and been a PDGA member for over 10 years and Salient Discs was developed simply to give players some really cool discs, shoes, bags etc to use while playing.

The consistency, engineering and all the other portions that we have used to get Salient started is a result of our educational backgrounds and goes hand in hand with trying to make the best possible products.

We fully don't expect to compete in quantity with the "big boys" but we do expect to compete in quality while adding a few new things to the market. Hopefully many players, retailers and fellow disc golf brothers/sisters will see all of these things as a positive. In closing we feel at Salient Discs that if we can offer something a little new and different with some simple tweaks and a little extra investment on our end that we can make a premium disc golf brand that everyone can enjoy.

check us out on Facebook or twitter at Salient Disc Golf. Our website will be up and live when we make our official announcement.

Below is a pic of one of our upcoming releases:

Man I can't wait until I can get a hand on one of those discs.

Chris, who will be testing them in Cola? I threw the PVC proto and the gummy one a few times at Owens and that was a blast. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

I had such a blast throwing the PVC proto at Owens also and I think Salient is going to be very sucessful.

Oh I'm not agitated. I'm amused at this point. It's like watching a car accident. You feel bad but it's so hard not to want to be entertained. He responded to some simple criticism with some responses you don't get from many companies looking to make a good name before launch. The tagline is in kilgus sig. Calling everyone else who makes discs inconsistent because of hippie engineering. It sounds elitist and his claims are laughable. Give it a read. Good stuff.

I should stop reading this thread but once it turned more into prodigy than his own company I figured what the heck.

Not laughable at all... Can you name another manufacturer in this market doing digital wind tunnel testing, using humidity controlled molding facilities, and using hi-angular momentum design techniques to enhance the flight? And I've not even spoken about the unique blend of polymers their using to enhance the grip.

You see... these guys really are smarter than those of the past. It's not a slight to them at all... just plain facts. And anyone who says they won't throw these, but sees them go 30-40 ft further than your current stock is just lying. Performance is the key. Why did I add Prodigy stuff to my bag? It performs! I don't care if they didn't start out on the right foot... I care that my drives are flying past my competition and you do too.