• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Introducing SD, Salient Discs

In my opinion, Prodigy did live up to their hype. The hype wasn't so much about a revolutionary new disc design as it was about an unknown company that had stolen most of the top pros and had some crazy sweet plastic. As it happens, Prodigy did sign most of the top pros, and they do have some great plastic.
Wow, this post is even less funny than nolantardy's moronic contributions. I guess I forgot that the hype for Prodigy was that they'd change the game by producing overweight, oval shaped discs that fade at the thought of spending time in the sun. My bad. My attitude on Salient is the same as it was on Prodigy. Wait and see. Prodigy has (imho) been a major letdown so far. It sounds like Salient may go the other way and be impressive. I certainly hope so, just like I wanted Prodigy to be a winner. The more good discs out there the better it is for us all.

if you think prodigy wasn't claiming that they were gonna revolutionize the modern disc you need to take a few hours and sift through that mega-crap of a thread and read what their lousy rep was sayin! lol

If anyone thinks this company will fail because of some posts on a message board, your world view might be a little warped...

I think we all just need to take a step back and remember that everyone has an opinion. If you are bashing a company, the company rep has a right to defend themselves.

have you two ever heard of customer service? to put this succinctly, the owners of this company dont have thick enough skin to survive in the real world. and guess what you geniuses, the people who decide if your company fails are the exact same people who read this thread. nobody else knows about your make believe products.

^^^You sir have just won 3 first run Prometheus/Prometheii lol...PM with your address and we will have them sent out to you when we get them finished.

Oh so we're back to second grade paradigm. So, in addition to passing out fruit gummies to those who "have your back," anyone who disagrees with you with also not be your friend any more?

I've been extremely underwhelmed by every single post of yours on this board, beginning with the "challenger" bag

another PR fail for salient "discs." and i agree NOS, every single claim these cats type make me yawn or laugh. if i remember correctly this is the company making the giant 200g drivers that will never see a tournament in their life. at least they can take themselves seriously.

Yep, and then if you say anything bad about the products, the fake doctor's little buddy comes around and threatens you with physical violence.

exactly. is this really growing the sport? seems like the wrong attitude to me.

In my opinion, Prodigy did live up to their hype. The hype wasn't so much about a revolutionary new disc design as it was about an unknown company that had stolen most of the top pros and had some crazy sweet plastic. As it happens, Prodigy did sign most of the top pros, and they do have some great plastic.

yeah and people wearing their shirts win every tournament they play. and i agree that they have sweet plastic, i dont know anyone that feels otherwise. what did you guys expect from a disc company, some magical equipment that fixes your wack form and sends discs toward the basket?

Wow, this post is even less funny than nolantardy's moronic contributions. I guess I forgot that the hype for Prodigy was that they'd change the game by producing overweight, oval shaped discs that fade at the thought of spending time in the sun.

the sponsored pros dont even throw prodigy discs, so who cares. it seems to me that the revolution of prodigy was the shareholder aspect that might make it possible to be a full time pro disc golfer.. its just another disc manufacturer otherwise, do you think theres some secret revolution in disc technology that some person knows?

^Eventually there will be a big breakthrough in disc technology if you think otherwise you're just dumb... this game has not always been played with the current discs and breakthroughs have attributed to many changes in the game primarily distance and control.

It is impossible to know what company will make the next big break through whose to say its not a new one like salient.

Also customer service does not have to be all about sucking up. I have more respect for those who stand by their products/work instead of just shrugging of or kissing ass to the haters.

I don't know if I want a "big breakthrough," or if it will ever happen. I think change will come in increments, not leaps and bounds.

i respectfully disagree that there are still huge game changing advancements in disc technology. rocs, birds, and such will never be obsolete.

I don't know if I want a "big breakthrough," or if it will ever happen. I think change will come in increments, not leaps and bounds.

I feel that it will be more of a retrospective leap... like at the time it wont seem like such a big change but 10 or 20 years later people would be able to look back and be like yea thats where it all changed...look back at the founding of innova thats when the discs started changing from toys to sports equipment

i respectfully disagree that there are still huge game changing advancements in disc technology. rocs, birds, and such will never be obsolete.

The only thing that I've seen as of late that has been a big advancement is some of Latitude 64's,Westide's and Dynamic Discs plastic.

I can say that it's one of those points in disc golf history that a company or companies made a name for themselves and caused other companies to step up their game.

Maybe SD will be like that too.

I suppose I may just be a cynic at heart, but I never expected Prodigy to do any more than they have already done. Sure, they had quite a few quality control issues, but I never thought they wouldn't. If you are going to have unrealistic expetations for new companies, you will always be disappointed.

I'm still not clear, is everyone in the thread getting 3 free discs or not?

Or can we at least buy them at cost? Wait, I forgot, they already sell all their products at cost.

Sd crew needs to grow thicker skin. Or just not post anymore. I'd love to give them a shot, but their presence in the threads turn me off. Defending your product is fine, but this is the Internet and people flame. Feeding those flames from the company is not a good way to have a presence here. Sd, you guys can clearly do what you want, but I'd guess if you just stop posting you would fair better in the long run. If I was affiliated with ad I would get you guys off this site all together. Good luck with your venture, hopefully as the company grows so will your business practices.

This is what happens every time there is a speculation thread or an announcement thread half the people are pumped up for a new manufacturer or disc then the other half and either troll or comment on the trolls..... and i know I am playing into this as well but i just hope there is some actual throwers that can describe these discs take pics and also some vids of them throwing... Just wish this thread and others like it could stay on track.

I will do my best to have a detailed, unbiased write up for these discs. Pics and possibly video included. Im actually pretty pumped to do it. Whether they fit my game or not, itll be fun being apart of the process, imo.

I will do my best to have a detailed, unbiased write up for these discs. Pics and possibly video included. Im actually pretty pumped to do it. Whether they fit my game or not, itll be fun being apart of the process, imo.

Agreed, I will do my best to do the same as well.

I'm still not clear, is everyone in the thread getting 3 free discs or not?

Or can we at least buy them at cost? Wait, I forgot, they already sell all their products at cost.
we should just for reading/helping create a thread almost as silly and condescending as the almighty prodigy threads! lmao

Originally Posted by Pwingles

Can't wait to hear it, Pwingles!

Agreed, I will do my best to do the same as well.

:wall:

We are going for more of an athletic look rather than your typical heavy hiking shoe. Durability and comfort is #1, finding a 1 piece sole in large sizes is the tough part but we are trying.

I beg of you to not forget about those of us with size 15 feet and above! Please! Even if it is special order, give us the option. We get hated on by 90% of the shoe market.
Also, which country will these be made in?

Any of you haters are dumb. Just the fact that they are going to bring standard manufacturer consistency and tolerances to disc manufacturing is HUGE. No more "eye-balling" and "its the cooling rates" arguments. QC determined by consistent line checks, no other manufacturer actually does this. And hopefully they are nerdy enough that they will watch PLH and nose shape. As well as actually caring about the weights. They could do alot with the right standards and guidelines, thats how they'll be able to make a name. Everything everybody cries about on here is due to lack of QC.

Much more excited about these guys than UB disc golf, tool shed over there for sure. My arms are crossed and I'm mean mugging you, I'm so cool. sigh.

I could be wrong, but at one point I read that less than 2% of the population wear a shoe over size 13.

Doing a mass production of size 14 or 15 shoes is not a sound business decision....in my opinion.

:)

Everything everybody cries about on here is due to lack of QC.

Which, like your size 15 feet, represents a miniscule slice of the disc golfing population. Honestly, if I were getting into the disc business, I would focus my efforts on mass distribution rather than catering to a small segment of the greater population that cares about consistency.

Look at Innova - for all the inane railings by people on here about their so-called "inconsistency," they still rule the market because you can get their products anywhere.

Salient will live or die purely by the number of discs they can get into people's hands at an affordable price, regardless of how consistent or not they end up being.

I could be wrong, but at one point I read that less than 2% of the population wear a shoe over size 13.

Doing a mass production of size 14 or 15 shoes is not a sound business decision....in my opinion.

:)
I'm not asking for a mass production, no big foot person is. Even if it is a small release once/twice a year we will work around it.
You just don't understand the plight. With limited options comes limited ability to buy proper shoes. and even if it is only 2% of the population, there isn't really any historical data that suggests thats consistent or that the population isn't growing.
Let me ask you this; if a company doesn't have what you want, so you send them an email/letter asking about it? Or do you just move on?
I'm willing to bet alot of $$ you just move on, like the grand majority of people. (I do ecommerce, and read the studies all the time). Most people I know with 14+ find a brand thats "comfortable" and stick with it until the product changes for the worse. Not out of loyalty, but because there are no options to explore so why bother.