• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is brand loyalty stupid?

What do you think about brand loyalty

• I like it and will only use discs from one company

Votes: 23 10.0%
  • I think it's stupid and will use whatever disc I want

Votes: 207 90.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Everyone's got their reason(s) for doing whatever they do. Brand loyalty isn't necessarily stupid, but neither is using several companies if that's what you like to cover all the slots.

The only thing truly stupid is doing stuff with no rationale behind it.

Forgoing other brands of discs just means you are limiting yourself to what you throw. I think i have representatives from 7 manufacturers in my bag. Every manufacturer has at least one or two discs you will like, IMO.

After throwing too many discs I can at least say the Roc, teebird, eagle and destroyer are freaking legit especially when you factor in various plastics for different flight.

But brand loyalty is stupid, yes.

It's called fanboyism, I was doing that with discraft for a while and latitude, basically anything but innova products because they are evil. In the end I found an Orc like I used to have that bagged. Now I put a couple innova in again. I can interchange so many discs with my current ones it's not even funny.

Throwing only one brand is fine. Not everyone has the money to spend to buy every disc on the market and try it especially now a days with new brands coming out every year. Misprint deals let you try many discs for cheap. Dave Feldberg only uses Innova and is almost 1050 rated, last year the world champion was Eric Mccabe and he only throws Discraft so it's not like you have to throw 4 different brands to be effective at this game. At this point Innova and Discraft have very few holes left in their product lines and the few they do have you can get around. I don't think you should refuse to try a disc from any company (except maybe Quest! ;)) but sticking to the discs you know is for the best.

From 2011 and still relevant and true. :popcorn:

But it's still a valid point. Some folks say you shouldn't limit yourself to one brand, because you'll be missing out on some better discs from all the other brands, and presumably hurting your game. They exclude the sponsored players, who are loyal to one brand as terms of their sponsorship.

Are those sponsored players are hurting their games because they're limited to one brand? Is the sponsorship so valuable that they'd rather score worse to be sponsored? Or are they so good that the difference in discs doesn't matter to them, while it affects a duffer like me?

Are those sponsored players are hurting their games because they're limited to one brand?

There was talk in another thread about Will Schusterick being held back by Prodigy's putters. People were also talking about Nikko and his putting when he went to Innova, since he was without his Wizards. IMO, that's rubbish, but obviously the theory is out there.

Or are they so good that the difference in discs doesn't matter to them, while it affects a duffer like me?

Look at what Paul McBeth did with those DX discs that he had really never thrown. He shredded that course the first time out. HE is what matters, not Innova's discs.

By the same token, I think it's also true for Rec players. I gaurantee that if I picked up 5 similar Prodigy discs (I've never thrown Prodigy), that I would score within a couple strokes of my usual. I bet you'd do the same with MVP, David. (Unless you just can't putt at all with premium plastic)

Innova does the best drivers.
MVP does the best Fairways.
Rocs, Comets and MVP for mids.
MVP and Gateway for putters.

I also think Latitude does the best understable discs out there. Seems like all of their stuff flies more US than similar discs of different brands.

I used to be all about Innova as that was about all that was sold around this area. After a guy opened a disc golf shop about a half hour from me I began experimenting with different companies and now bag not only Innova but many Discraft and of course my trusty Wizard putters.

I try them all for sure. Its good to see what the classic Innova discs are like, Aviar, Roc, Tbird, Firebird, Destroyer, etc. But then I just go with results after that.

"Stupid" is the wrong word. I'll use whatever, but just because someone has loyalty or enjoys a companies lineup it doesn't mean they're stupid for doing so...

I have a hard time saying that any method of choosing which frisbees you're going to throw around in the woods is any stupider than the silly game we play. :p

In all seriousness, you can pick any of the big manufacturers and be a top player with only their molds, or you can find what works best for you from a bunch of companies. Either way that's not going to be the thing that determines how well you play. A good player is just as good with any solid lineup of discs, and a crappy player isn't suddenly better no matter what they bag.

^This.

Besides, the current 'different' company molds are all, at and earlier time, Innova-only molds of which said patents expired and are now labeled 'new' but are, in reality, plus or minus 5% differientation from the original Innova molds.

Stupid? No. But is it annoying when one encounters a fanboy trying to justify his/her rationale that no other companies discs are as good as their preference? Yes. This is especially true when I hear them say something hyperbolic along the lines of: "I've tried their discs, I can't throw them, they suck."

I'm neither loyal to one brand nor a plastic geek trying out every new manufacturer that hits the market.

I throw discs made by Innova and Discraft because they are relatively common and thus easier to replace.

I've owned a few other manufacturers' discs, so I'm not totally adverse to trying out new things. I'd just rather stick with what's familiar. :shrugsmiley:

Last edited:
In all seriousness, you can pick any of the big manufacturers and be a top player with only their molds, or you can find what works best for you from a bunch of companies. Either way that's not going to be the thing that determines how well you play. A good player is just as good with any solid lineup of discs, and a crappy player isn't suddenly better no matter what they bag.
Crap! All this time, I've been convinced I just needed to find the right combo of discs from specific manufacturers. :doh: :wall:

Guess I better start working on technique... :(

I think I currently have 11 different manufacturers in my bag. Too many companies making too many discs to be loyal to just one. Now, disc loyalty on the other hand...

Latest posts