• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Is Innova lacking a true understable fairway driver?

I guess there would be a gap in their line up but for this hot I have always used an Eagle L in the mid to high 160's. Starts out a touch understable but beats into a very nice understable fairway.

A Champ RoadRunner is pretty darn close to what you want. I prefer seasoning a Star Leopard into this spot; once seasoned it's like a Pro Leopard that stops getting further beat in.

yes innova is missing a understable fairway driver. new leopards are not understable like they used ot be. i have a pro leopard that is almost as stable as my rivals. only way i can get it to fly anny is release it that way and it will still pull out of it. im finally giving up on this pro leopard being what i want it to be...an actual leopard.

P.S. I know there are discs from other companies that will fill this gap but I really want to discuss the gap in Innovas line up. Thanks

should have been the first sentence in your post i guess

Last edited:
I agree that there is a hole in the line up here for premium plastic, off the shelf understability. But I don't think it would be too hard to get a champion Leopard to where you would like it. Most in the bag videos from Pros I see are using seasoned TeeBirds for this slot, so it shouldn't take forever to get a Leopard there. The main reason i think the hole exists is that slightly beat in discs will fill this slot perfectly, and stay there for a long time in premium plastic. I have a 150g champ, and though it flies pretty straight off a flat release, it turned on a full power rip when new even for me, and that's at barely 300ft of power. If you want a premium plastic, slower innova fairway driver with turn, try a light one with a low parting line height.

I agree that there is a hole in the line up here for premium plastic, off the shelf understability. But I don't think it would be too hard to get a champion Leopard to where you would like it. Most in the bag videos from Pros I see are using seasoned TeeBirds for this slot, so it shouldn't take forever to get a Leopard there. The main reason i think the hole exists is that slightly beat in discs will fill this slot perfectly, and stay there for a long time in premium plastic. I have a 150g champ, and though it flies pretty straight off a flat release, it turned on a full power rip when new even for me, and that's at barely 300ft of power. If you want a premium plastic, slower innova fairway driver with turn, try a light one with a low parting line height.

I agree also that there is a hole off the shelf in premium. So for me beat champ Valks. Leos don't fly as far for me. Headwind it's a Teebird...I have never thrown a beat champ TL but I bet this would be an option...

You should try Innova's latest, the Star Kudu 7/5/-3/1. How long would you expect this disc to last? It wouldn't be long until you had a beat in TL or Leopard to replace your flippy Kudu. Maybe that's why they don't have the Kudu.

Go get yourself a used Leopard and put it in a box. Now you can say you have an out of the box understable fairway. :D

and if you have a tournament coming up and lose your nice beat premium plastic disc what are you going to do? there is nothing in the lineup that can fill that slot immediately and you didnt have the foresight to beat another one up just in case. guess your just SOL until you get that beat on.
oh wait there is several other companies around now that all have discs that can fill this slot. yay! i think I will try one of them out.
missing a giant hole like that in your lineup drives people to other companies...stupid business move. And there are a few companies who have realized that hole in the main guys and made discs that fill it without the beat-in requirement.

If a leo is stable out of the box perhaps some of you are not getting it up to speed , leo on right snap will flip up and turn over, if it doesn't you need a lighter one and release it more flat+spin.

Just remove the flashing from a new Leopard. It's a totally different disc without the flashing. I bought a Star Leopard that flew like a Teebird until I rubbed the flashing off, but once the flashing was gone, it flipped up nicely every time. I replaced it with a Patriot (Legacy removes the flashing for you so it actually flies like the numbers suggest it will.), but it's still a good back-up disc.

I really love understable dics. I really like Innova. That being said, my US discs in that FD range are currently from Lat 64, Westside and MVP. I once had an affair with an Archangel, but moved on. The Ch. Leo I have is not what I would call US at all. The thing is a frozen rope through the woods.

If a leo is stable out of the box perhaps some of you are not getting it up to speed , leo on right snap will flip up and turn over, if it doesn't you need a lighter one and release it more flat+spin.

so the ~5% of disc golfers that actually take the time to learn this is the market you want? seems silly, but hey I bet it will work out for you. :wall:
the overwhelming majority of disc golfers (broad term) think a champ/star leopard is stable. thats the market you aim for, us competitive/nerd types are a super minority, which means that most people think a premium plastic leopard is more stable than a base plastic leopard (consider weight a constant). but perhaps you didn't catch on to the conversation at hand?

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the Kite is technically a midrange, but has a fairway driver type wing. And that thing is understable for sure. Or a DX Leopard is pretty understable too.

Kite's been mentioned but it's domey as all get out and really touchy. They're so flippy and floaty you might as well be throwing a lid IMO. In a similar vein but not quite as touchy would be a Skeeter, another unheralded, out of the box, understable, small diameter mid.

The real problem with this thread is the general aversion to throwing base plastic drivers.

The real problem with this thread is the general aversion to throwing base plastic drivers.
Now why and bring a logical thought to this thread? you should know better. :p

Pro leopard after a couple tree smacks. Not hits smacks. That said my current one took 2 years to get flippy. We call her tree hater.

I'm perfectly fine with the lineup they currently have. I really love my Leopards. I carry a Beat 175 Pro, Fresh 175 Pro and slight beat 170 Champ. They all turn right varying degrees. I see no need for another Understable Fwy disc.

Now why and bring a logical thought to this thread? you should know better. :p

Pro leopard after a couple tree smacks. Not hits smacks. That said my current one took 2 years to get flippy. We call her tree hater.

Yea man we all know its very illogical to want a premium plastic flippy fairway driver.