• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there a tech term for this putting style?

Technohic

* Ace Member *
Been having good and bad days with my putts and a friend of mine is usually money from 50' in with a SE Rhyno, but figured out its not the disc, but how he putts. I started doing this and if I wasnt in, I was still 2' for the nex shot which is a gimme

What he does, and I now do, is have the 4 fingers straight out under the putter with your index finger on the bottom of the rim and each finger about a 1/2 inch apart and your thumb LIGHTLY on top in the thumb track are as a guide, and rather than pushing the disc right at the basket, you more do like an underhand push on the bottom of the disc, rotating your hand like tossing pizza dough almost like an elevator toss but not very high; just a controlled arc toward the basket.

Tossing pizza dough I guess is a good analogy since I have been using a Blowfly. I havent mastered it to the extent he has, but like I said, I am right there by the basket if I miss allowing me to give it a chance at a bird without paying for a miss with a bogey.

No, it is under hand, sort of. Just like a push but instead of toward the basket, a bit more upward.

This is driving me nuts! I have been searching youtube videos and they all seem to be more direct or drill it at the basket. What I am talking about is similar to a push putt, uses stradle and inline options in the same way but relies on spin and more loft.

Like an elevator shot but not near as high.

Does your hand come at your side or like granny style?

A guy locally does a "chicken wing" putt. He throws it almost like hes in a bowling stance.

He uses a fan grip like you are describing. he kind of throws it like a horse shoe but its just wierd to describe.

it uses minimum spin on the disc but puts it on a good line. Its just hard to adjust height of the putt from a good distance.

I suppose you could go between the legs on it; I probably have when needing to get a position for a stance, but this does use spin and you can lower it and angle it anny or hyzer for what you need.

I just might have to film it with my BB and share it. If its new, do I get to do the tech term for it?

Yeah, it doesnt look that weird as far as positioning of feet and stradle, it just flies a little differently.

I know about what you are talking about, since I'm a blowfly putter as well, but I don't straddle <unless I have no other way>. I usually have my right foint behind my marker almost pointing towards the basket, my left behind me for balance and push, and then basically laser putt towards the chains with just a slight lift, and LOTS of spin on the disc. But you are correct, the greatest thing about the blowfly is that if you miss, chances are you are RIGHT there for the next putt. I've also hit the rim COUNTLESS times, and watched it crawl over in in, where any hard disc would have bounced off

I *think* I know exactly what you're talking about, hic. I putt this way, but only in range (which is pretty short, tbh).

Much of the forward motion comes from "push"ing the disc from where it's resting on the palm. Elevation (and a bit of spin) from the 3 fingers under the disc pushing up. Index finger adding spin (under the rim) and also controlling direction, along with the thumb.

Sound right? It's really controllable for me. And I have no idea if there's a name for it...

My friend does it with a SE Rhyno, which is flexible but not floppy and you can throw it straight at the basket but typicaly there is a little loft. I think it has to be more common though than I think and real similar to that.

I *think* I know exactly what you're talking about, hic. I putt this way, but only in range (which is pretty short, tbh).

Much of the forward motion comes from "push"ing the disc from where it's resting on the palm. Elevation (and a bit of spin) from the 3 fingers under the disc pushing up. Index finger adding spin (under the rim) and also controlling direction, along with the thumb.

Sound right? It's really controllable for me. And I have no idea if there's a name for it...

Must have been posting when you posted this but that is exactly what I am talking about. The more I do it, the further out I am using it. I can probably do it from 50' now just after a day of trying it.

"the TechnoDouche"?

...meh, doesn't have a ring to it... :p

edit - There's gotta be a name for it already, right?

Last edited:
There has got to be. I dont think it could be anything new, I just cant find it.

Mm...Sounds like a loft putt too me. I don't know if that's the actual name for it, but that's what I've always called it. By throwing it more vertically and attempting to "drop" it in you drastically reduce the distance for the second shot. If I misread and you don't throw it up as opposed to the typical putting style than I'm not sure what you're talking about.