• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Isamoor's ITB - a boring affair

If the Aviars don't end up working out you could check into Exo Soft Links. I've been using those for most of my putter needs recently.

They're more wizardry in feel than aviary so YMMV though

If the Aviars don't end up working out you could check into Exo Soft Links. I've been using those for most of my putter needs recently.

They're more wizardry in feel than aviary so YMMV though

Heh, I was using Exo Soft Links when I started this thread. I actually just pulled down my set of 4 from where they were collecting dust. Man, those things took a beating and I didn't even drive with them. But yes, they do feel very nice.

At this point I think I'm just looking for a unicorn mold+plastic that I'd feel okay putting and driving with. (And that I can make last at least a few months before cycling in a fresh one.) Probably should just go back to Wizards. Wizards come in so many plastics surely there's one that's reasonable for putting and driving both.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Wizards. But you already know this.

Do you have a preferred plastic for doing putting and driving with the same disc?

Back when I used Wizards the most I liked putting with a pretty soft Wizard (SSS-SSSS). But I taco'd a couple when I drove them into trees.

I could likely be comfortable with a firmer Wizard these days. Not sure how quick a PW or SS would taco though.

Do you have a preferred plastic for doing putting and driving with the same disc?

Back when I used Wizards the most I liked putting with a pretty soft Wizard (SSS-SSSS). But I taco'd a couple when I drove them into trees.

I could likely be comfortable with a firmer Wizard these days. Not sure how quick a PW or SS would taco though.

Gotta let you know you inspired me to switch back to Wizards from Links.

As to your question, can't speak to PW but my Hemp SS has gotten some warpage going on from hitting trees. I have a Firm that's held up reasonably well but don't care for putting with that firm a plastic. Infinite has a big discount on their Wizards right now so if you're in the market might not hurt to give em a look.

Gotta let you know you inspired me to switch back to Wizards from Links.

As to your question, can't speak to PW but my Hemp SS has gotten some warpage going on from hitting trees. I have a Firm that's held up reasonably well but don't care for putting with that firm a plastic. Infinite has a big discount on their Wizards right now so if you're in the market might not hurt to give em a look.

Hah. I think Links and Wizards are pretty darn close. More plastic choices on the Wizards, and they have the subtle "gyro" effect (they thin out the flight plate near the middle on purpose). But darn if that thin flight plate doesn't love to taco. It is nice to know that Exo Soft will pretty much always feel like Exo Soft though. The SS/SSS/SSSS often seems more like a general suggestion.

Yea, I never actually got rid of all my Wizards. They're just too unique to try and re-buy. Although I have wanted to feel a couple of those Hemp blends at some point.

I was doing some backyard putting work in some near freezing rain yesterday. (I had gotten all bundled up before it started raining, or I wouldn't have even tried it.) A gritty glow wizard was working best in the cold wet rain (compared to a few Yeti Aviars that just got too slick).

Got in a few holes today. With it being just cold and not raining, the Yeti Aviars were feeling quite nice.

I'm going to try and stick with the Aviars long enough to see how they survive a month or two of woods drives. With the cold wind around here I'm mostly hiding on my local wooden courses.

Actually was warm enough, dry enough, and winds only at around 3-5mph today, and I could get off work an hour early, so I hit the field for field work. It'd been too long. With the longer summer sun I could usually hit the neighborhood field a couple times a week. This was my first trip since October though.

Mostly focused on mids. Warmed up chucking Aviars and did okay at that.

Had a few Atlas to play with. Mostly wanted to try the XT plastic. In the end, the over mold didn't bother me much, and the discs went far, but they just didn't seem to offer a better grip.

I also took some Mako3s. I'd pulled a few of those back out for some woods golf. I can definitely thread a Buzzz through the woods, but some lines require a really firm Buzzz throw.

In the field the Mako3s were just perfectly neutral as expected. A modest turn into a modest headwind. Tailwind bombers.

Also took a variety of neutral Buzzzes. Still my most consistent midrange. My Buzzzes ended in the tightest clusters.

The only driver I took was a small stack of Relays. They were very fun to throw though. The color contrast on them gives me quick feedback on nose angle (I was a little nose up at first of course). After some adjustment I got 3 out of 4 to cluster around 350' for my last set (into a slight headwind). I still wasn't feeling great about the consistency of my form, but I took that as a big win and called it a day.

I know I have a lot to work on, but doing something useful with my left arm is my current focus. I did okay focusing on that today.

I hope anyone else in the Midwest got some time outside today. Snow is likely here early next week alas. Stay safe y'all!

Have actually had a few weeks of relatively warm weather here this December. Have managed to get a couple field work sessions each week (much more field work than rounds with the kids home for the holidays).

Have been pounding fairly hard in the field on distance with a mix of Relays, Valkyries, Beasts and the occasional Wraith.

The Relays are mostly there to keep me honest. I can see the top of their flight plate during flight easily, so it gives me good feedback on nose angle. Additionally, I can consistently plant them ~325', so they help keep me honest when trying to throw faster stuff. I prefer to use Teebird3s on the actual course, but Relays are still a very solid disc.

The Valkyries are also there to keep me honest. I generally feel like I can get most of my Valkyries "up to speed" (e.g. a full S-flight). I can't quite do a full S-flight on my stiffest champion Valkyries, but that's okay for me. I had a fun time with my daughter running some multi-throw experiments comparing Relays and Valks. As expected, the Valkyries have a higher average distance, a much higher maximum distance, and a much higher variation. Out of 10 Valkyrie throws I can usually put one comfortably over 375'. The Valkyries also keep me honest if I don't put enough spin on a throw. The S-curve is really exaggerated when I "pull the disc" instead of slinging it.

I snagged a few fresh/stiffer Beasts to try out the classical "faster Valk". And yea, they do travel faster through the air than Valks. The fresh star beasts also have less turn than all but the stiffest champion valks (for my arm speed). For me the Beasts don't really have much higher maximum distance than the Valkyries, but they are a bit more consistent. They get their distance by traveling a bit faster instead of trying to get just the right amount of turn in the flight.

And lastly, I was pulling out some Wraiths to play with again. And dang, I just don't know what I was doing with them earlier this year. Even now when I know I'm slinging faster overall, I just don't feel like I'm getting anything extra out of the Wraiths. I can grab some lighter, flippier Wraiths, but then control gets really touchy. Max weight star is controllable, but it takes a good rip for me to really put them out there past 350' (i.e. I only clear 350' perhaps half the time). I can comfortably put Valkyries as far as Wraiths a lot of the time. Of course, that requires a big S-turn for the Valks and largely a straight to fade for the Wraiths, so there is definitely some on-the-course value to the Wraith.

So for the moment? I'm actually most comfortable throwing beasts for max distance I think. Perhaps I'm just subconsciously following the rule of 35. (I can get ~66% of my beast throws over 350', but not a very high percentage of my Wraith throws over 385'). I need to get back out to a couple of the local courses that actually need wide-open 350' throws to see how I'm feeling on the course.

I'm simultaneously definitely working on my backhand form still. Most of that focus on my off arm/swim move fun. But also trying to get more formal with my breath work for a full backhand x-step.

Well, the weather went rough around these parts. I've gotten in a round here and there, but seldom have I felt comfortable actually bracing on the teepad (because they've been too slick from ice/snow/mud/etc).

I haven't really been bagging anything over a teebird for those conditions (and sometimes no drivers at all).

This weekend was a nice fluke. Played a round today where I could actually grip on the teepad and I was only in two layers of clothes. Went ahead and hit the field this afternoon as well.

Still messing with putters. Found a mix of Electron Envies at the local PIAS. I've been enjoying them; especially when it's been damp. More so than any type of BB Aviar in the damp.

Did trade a Grip B-series bag for an MVP Voyager Slim 2.0. Thus far I'm really liking the Voyager Slim (I've only gotten 3 rounds in on it). It's stupid heavy (~4 pounds empty), but that supplies good structure. I like the upper pouch, the storage, and that the main compartment isn't too big. I added a nice sternum strap that helped a lot. Rain fly was solid in the one round I needed it.

Otherwise mostly still rocking the same core discs (Zone/Buzzz/Teebird3/Firebird). Mixing in a few of the others I've mentioned above (e.g. Sol in tight woods, Relay with open wind).

I do like the Relays, and they are back in stock, but they are kind of expensive. I haven't found a good way to get the "Lab Seconds". I'm thinking of picking up a stack of F2 Leopard3s because I can get them cheap in bulk.

Also thinking of intentionally getting some lighter Teebird3s to try a bit for understable duties (or just an extra 5-10% of distance when control matters less).

Still looking forward to breaking back out the Beasts once Spring really sets in here.

Stay safe y'all!

Spring is finally mostly here. Not much change in the bag. Sticking with the electron envies for driving and for putting. Something deeper and slower would likely be slightly better for putting, but I enjoy smaller bags and having more space for other discs.

MVP doesn't seem to have caught up on Relay production around here yet. I picked up a stack of F2 Star Leopard3s. I've been enjoying them a lot; especially in the longer wooded holes.

I'm heading to a longer, open pro-level course this next weekend (BC3 in southern Indiana). I'll probably break back out some Valks for this weekend. Then try to ease into the Beasts over the next month or so.

I do kind of like the classic feel of bagging 4 of the "Big 5" CE molds though (Leopard3, Teebird3, Firebird, Valkyrie).

Still sticking to the Discraft mids though (Zone, Buzzz and sometimes Sol).

Had fun with the Valks for a few weeks. I've eased back into the Beasts, and the occasional Wraith when appropriate (e.g. headwinds, long sidearms). I'm pretty consistently putting Beast/Wraith over 350' on the course. Nothing really touching 400' though.

Need to do some more self-recording and posting here for form feedback. I'm thinking I could likely get to touching 400' golf lines this summer if I get the video camera out more often. Definitely need to smooth out my weight transfer (and the timing of it).

Switched all the way from Relay to Leopard3. Mostly due to availability as mentioned above.

I'm putting pretty well with the Electron Envies; gonna stick with those for putting and driving for now. Really haven't had as many 3-putts as I expected, but I'm trying very hard to keep the nose down and hit low. I'm pretty accepting of cage hits with my current style (i.e. none of this "I didn't give it a chance!" stuff).

Really fubbed some upshots recently. Realized I hadn't practiced 150-200' upshots in forever. I used to throw those a lot during a round. These days I'm usually closer off my drive (C2 more often than C1, but that's still jump putt range even if you're laying up). Probably need dedicated upshot practice time.

Did a couple bag mods. I worked with a local alterations shop to add an extra nylon strip along the shoulder straps on my Upper Park Pinch. That way I can more cleanly attach a sternum strap and maybe hang some bag tags on them. I also stripped some weight off of my MVP Voyage Slim V2. I removed the side support panels, and I cut out a fair percentage of my back panel. Removed about 1.5lbs of weight. Pics of these mods are attached here.

Attachments

• Voyager_Back_Panel_small.jpg
    Voyager_Back_Panel_small.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 11
  • UP_Pinch_Mod_small.jpg
    UP_Pinch_Mod_small.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 13
How did you like BC3 when you played it? I was down there last fall for a family trip but only managed to play Deer Run which was pretty nice in and of itself.

And if you don't mind me playing devils advocate I think a Wizard would be great for putting and those approach shots if you can squeeze one in your bag

How did you like BC3 when you played it? I was down there last fall for a family trip but only managed to play Deer Run which was pretty nice in and of itself.

BC3 is just an absolutely quality establishment. It has more ~open holes than wooded, but a good enough mix for me. Plenty of length and elevation. Lots of quality par 4s (not always common on a lot of Indiana courses). The teepads, fairways, baskets etc are kept very clean and tidy. It has some water danger, but nothing too nerve wracking (although my card as a whole has lost at least one disc most rounds I think).

I like Deer Run as well. It's a bit more wooded, which is often a bit more to my taste. And it's kept in reasonable shape. The teepads are pretty poor though. I usually have at least one slip/almost fall per round on those pads. I've broken my leg slipping off a tee pad, so my PTSD flares up a bit there. It still has a handful of cool par 4s as well.

If I only had time for one round, I think I'd always do BC3. But if I had time for two rounds I usually end up doing one of each.

And if you don't mind me playing devils advocate I think a Wizard would be great for putting and those approach shots if you can squeeze one in your bag

I did break back out some Wizards for some field work the other day. They are absolutely solid discs, and I'm not getting rid of my Wizard stack, but they weren't doing much different than my electron envies. The electron envies are much straighter than premium envies. The electron envies go a bit further than wizards, which isn't actually a needed thing (electron envies aren't as long as buzzzes for me.... but they're close). I do suppose being an overall slower disc would make wizard approaches better for ranging. But I do enjoy just jump putting 100' upshots with the envies. Lastly, I've just gotten used to the ever-so-slightly shallower envy. But yea, I should try some complete rounds with just Wizards. Thanks for the suggestion.

Had a good field work session with the drivers today. Lovely spring weather.

Definitely think I'm back up to the Wraiths already this season. I don't always get their -1 turn... but even when they just go straight to fade they go at extra 20' over an average Beast flight. Star Wraiths just really are a goldi-locks mold+plastic. I also feel pretty comfortable forehanding Wraiths (I did that almost exclusively off the tee for the first 3-5 years of my "career"). It was windy enough today that I didn't do any formal distance measurements. I'm definitely not hitting 400' with Wraiths yet, but I was feeling comfortable going over 350' with most backhand Wraith shots.

Haven't had too much time to play around with putting putters.

No real bag changes going into late summer. Bag is still:

Electron Envies (putting and throwing)
Z Flx Zones (I did decide I don't really like standard Z/ESP as much)
Z Buzzz (sometimes Z Flx, sometimes Big Z, seldom ESP)
Star Leopard3 (considering trying champion again)
Teebird3 (all plastics. AB Color Glow Champion goes so far)
Star Firebird
Star and GStar Wraiths

Still not doing a consistent 400' backhand with the Wraiths, but I'm getting closer.

I sometimes mix in Star Mako3s or Z Sols for the woods. And I keep my stack of Valkyries for the winter.

Had a good field session. Found a new place to do some fieldwork. It had fresh football field markings, so I had very honest distance feedback on all throws. It was a welcome change of pace. (I usually bring the range finder and ping a few shots here and there.)

My putter throws were shorter than I would have liked. Only pushing the electron envies just over 250' mostly. None of them threatening 300'.

I took Mako3s instead of Buzzzes (pretty normal for field work). I got a little under half of their throws over 300'.

I took a nice pile of Leopard3s. I pushed all of them over ~325', and a few over 350'. I own ~10 star leopard3s, and cycle through them pretty regularly, but this was the first time I feel like they were getting somewhere close to a -2 turn.

And lastly I had a couple star valkyries. I was getting about half of their throws over the 360' line. And got one just right to squeak over the 390' line. These were pretty fresh and domey star valkyries, so they flew pretty darn straight.

I definitely felt like I was getting the above discs up to speed. There was minimal wind.

I also took a tripod to painfully watch myself again (so awkward). My biggest fail was not lagging my upper body behind my lower body (i.e. I wasn't getting into the plant while still at the ~reachback). That's a pretty common fail though, so I didn't feel too bad about it. I did use that as my swing thought for the rest of the session.

Heading into fall here. Not a lot of changes to the bag.

I'm feeling pretty comfortable just bagging fairways if everything is under 350' on the course. (i.e. Teebird3/Firebird/Leopard3).

For longer courses, if I know the course and I'm feeling frisky I'll toss in a variety of Wraiths. I've touched 400' with Wraiths on the course, but not regularly. If I'm playing the course blind I'll usually go with Valkyries instead (or if I'm just not feeling connected that day).

I have come to better appreciate how much stability variety there is in the stack of Buzzzes I own. As I more reliably push them over 300' their stability differences are highlighted even more.

And lastly I'm back to toying with Wizards over Envies. If I was a "pro" I'd just carry Envies for driving and something else for putting, but I like my small bags. I'm a good enough putter with Envies, but I definitely worry about the 3-putt everytime I step up to an edge-of-circle putt. Something a bit slower and deeper reduces that touch of mental anxiety.

Not a whole lot of change heading into winter.

I did pick up some Bergs and they have pretty much solidified their space in my bag. They do upshots very well, especially covering for my lack of "touch". I even use them for some putts.

I'm still doing Bergs and Zones both for now. Zones go far and fade harder. But there's plenty of overlap. I don't have any nice glow zones (only a pair of rock hard Z ones). So I went berg only on a glow round in the woods. I thought I'd miss the Zone shot shapes, but it wasn't really a problem. I'd say the price of the Bergs hurt, but I'm really only enjoying Cryztal Flx Zones, so they aren't really that different in price.

I occasionally pull out the Wizards for a while. Then go back to just Envy/Berg/whatever. I know it's horrible for my putting consistency, and I'll pay for it in the spring.

Teebirds still go stupid far. Probably done with Valks or Wraiths for the winter unless I squeeze in a 40deg round sometime.

Enjoy the winter folks!

Not a whole lot of change heading into winter.

I did pick up some Bergs and they have pretty much solidified their space in my bag. They do upshots very well, especially covering for my lack of "touch". I even use them for some putts.

I'm still doing Bergs and Zones both for now. Zones go far and fade harder. But there's plenty of overlap. I don't have any nice glow zones (only a pair of rock hard Z ones). So I went berg only on a glow round in the woods. I thought I'd miss the Zone shot shapes, but it wasn't really a problem. I'd say the price of the Bergs hurt, but I'm really only enjoying Cryztal Flx Zones, so they aren't really that different in price.

I occasionally pull out the Wizards for a while. Then go back to just Envy/Berg/whatever. I know it's horrible for my putting consistency, and I'll pay for it in the spring.

Teebirds still go stupid far. Probably done with Valks or Wraiths for the winter unless I squeeze in a 40deg round sometime.

Enjoy the winter folks!

The price tag on the Berg definitely hurts, but if you grabbed a K1 you will never need to replace it unless you lose it....which at the range a Berg flies should be pretty hard. I have a 4 year old K1 that looks scuffed around the edges, but doesn't have a single gouge on it despite hitting concrete multiple times. K1 just doesn't quit.

I too was hoping the reduced range on the Bergs would help me avoid losing them. Still, there is water inside C1 at a few local courses. I've totally lost a disc airballing and edge-of-circle putt before. (The water level was up in the river behind the basket.)

I've got three K1 Soft and a couple of this year's weaker glow crop. I understand why the pros enjoy the firm plastic for consistent releases. But dang it, I just like the feel of some gummy plastic.

I might try some basic K3s next spring if I find some locally.

Latest posts