• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Kastaplast Berg

For K3 absolutely. K1 and K2 would be more Rhyno-like for you (though still different and unique). There's a noticeable difference between their base and premium versions.

Hmm. I may have to pick one up in that case. I do like the slower speed.

I've been having some trouble ranging my Zones lately on approaches. Just ordered a K2 and K3 Berg to see if they'll help on those short, touchy woods shots that having been losing me strokes. Zones, Bergs, and Judges shouldn't be too much overlap, right? Zones for serious wind and for a bit of skip, Judges for traditional putter flights and actual putting, and Bergs for awkward short stuff. At least that's my thought.

I've been having some trouble ranging my Zones lately on approaches. Just ordered a K2 and K3 Berg to see if they'll help on those short, touchy woods shots that having been losing me strokes. Zones, Bergs, and Judges shouldn't be too much overlap, right? Zones for serious wind and for a bit of skip, Judges for traditional putter flights and actual putting, and Bergs for awkward short stuff. At least that's my thought.

the Berg is one of the slowest disc golf sized discs that is on the market. It should work for those tight lines that you need such a slow disc for precision.

Berg has worked its way out of my bag for the most part. It's really only good for one type of shot and I can make my regular putter do the same thing most times.

Berg has worked its way out of my bag for the most part. It's really only good for one type of shot and I can make my regular putter do the same thing most times.

I've been sadly thinking this myself. What one trick pony was it for you?

I've been sadly thinking this myself. What one trick pony was it for you?
I was bagging the K3 Berg, and really liked it for upshots. But it messed up my upshots with the K3 Reko cause I was throwing them too hard. Decided to just stick with the Reko.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I throw k3 bergs and 4x zones for most up shots, usually the berg. I break the zone out if I need a skip, spike, or flex line. I love being able to give the berg a rip. Once you dial it in it's super straight and your margin for error is so high because the difference between 80% and 90% ain't much distance unless you're Gibson.

It also just feels perfect in my hand BH and FH.

Absolutely wonderful disc.

I was bagging the K3 Berg, and really liked it for upshots. But it messed up my upshots with the K3 Reko cause I was throwing them too hard. Decided to just stick with the Reko.

Ever mess with K1 or K2? Totally different creature (I bailed on the K3 quick because, like you said, overlapped with my [Clutch])

Ever mess with K1 or K2? Totally different creature (I bailed on the K3 quick because, like you said, overlapped with my [Clutch])
I have both K1 and K2 Bergs as well. I pair my Rekos with JB and Soft X zones, which are mellow by zone standards, so I don't really see the need for them. I mean I can find a use for them but it's not really a slot I can't cover.

I have both K1 and K2 Bergs as well. I pair my Rekos with JB and Soft X zones, which are mellow by zone standards, so I don't really see the need for them. I mean I can find a use for them but it's not really a slot I can't cover.

I bag two Zones (JB and Ti) plus Judges. I primarily approach with Zones, and was happy with them back in Nebraska where the main challenge on most courses is wind. I'm now playing a lot more wooded courses, and I find myself needing a touch anny flick approach probably 2-3 times per round. I just do not have any disc that I feel super confident in for that shot. JB Zone is fine as long as I'm 120'+ out, but that weird range that is less than 120' but either too long for a putt or obstructed is tough to dial in with a fast approach disc. That's something I had to worry about maybe once every three rounds before, but I see a lot more now. Most of my blown strokes right now are when I can't get up and down to save par. I think I need a Berg!

Edit: I plan to use the Berg for a lot more than one shot type, but that is the most obvious shortcoming in my bag/abilities right now.

I bag two Zones (JB and Ti) plus Judges. I primarily approach with Zones, and was happy with them back in Nebraska where the main challenge on most courses is wind. I'm now playing a lot more wooded courses, and I find myself needing a touch anny flick approach probably 2-3 times per round. I just do not have any disc that I feel super confident in for that shot. JB Zone is fine as long as I'm 120'+ out, but that weird range that is less than 120' but either too long for a putt or obstructed is tough to dial in with a fast approach disc. That's something I had to worry about maybe once every three rounds before, but I see a lot more now. Most of my blown strokes right now are when I can't get up and down to save par. I think I need a Berg!

Edit: I plan to use the Berg for a lot more than one shot type, but that is the most obvious shortcoming in my bag/abilities right now.

Not trying to speak for him but he's only an hour or so north of me (PA), tons of trees...I face them as well. Though I guarantee my game is different than both of yours, I see both of your points. He may regret his decision and add one back to the bag in 6 months, and you may conversely drop the Berg - all of our bags are fluid not static.

It's a wonderful disc, I own...double digits? Hell I'm debating removing the Rattler (also double digits) as well - both seem to impede my Clutch shots. Aside from tremendous wind, there isn't a shot inside of 200' that I can't hit with my Clutches, amplified the closer to the basket I am. Why run a 70'er with a nose up Rattler BH when I can do the exact same thing with a Clutch? Need some fade around that tree 45'ish out? Higher and nose up Clutch instead of Berg. I'm in this weird purgatory of nothing is better than my core four or five molds, why throw anything else and it's frustrating. In the same way I get mad at certain [Clutch] shots and ask myself why I don't have a more suitable mold for the shot, be it a one-trick-pony or not.

I don't know. I absolutely love all three molds I just mentioned, just gets tough sometimes with the mental gymnastics. Same goes for all of our bags I would assume, though some players do prefer flat release and let the discs do the work. I come from an ultimate background and started when the Destroyer didn't even exist...what I'm trying to say is I'm more suited for release manipulation than others. Does that make me right or better? Absolutely not.

I almost feel as though the Berg doesn't belong in my "tourney bag" (don't play tournaments anymore), yet should thrive in my "weekender bag" which is confusing to say the least. Almost as though I'd need to build an entire bag around it, rather than the Cluthc fitting INTO my bag.

First world problems and all that..

I only have 2 Bergs, K1 and K3. I haven't got to use them too much yet. I alternated between pigs and zones last year, stuck with just a zone from November to about January. Then I mixed in a Ringer gt with a zone. Picked up the bergs and 2 envies. Who knows, I'll probably end up with a Harp for approaches lol.

Unlike you though I'm not as good at controlling angles. I like to let the disc do the work a lot of times if possible. I think part of it for me too, is I just like to throw different discs . Not for any good reason except I have them. The Berg for me will be back in, and out, etc. Definitely first world problems to have.

Any reason you don't forehand your judge?

Any reason you don't forehand your judge?

I do. It typically goes poorly :\

I admittedly have a very bad forehand game. It is steadily improving now that I live near more wooded courses that require all shot shapes to score well (necessity is the mother of invention, as they say). But having no ultimate background, nor baseball, nor even intramural softball, the forehand motion is not natural for me. I was the kid that couldn't skip rocks at the lake growing up.

So can a Judge be flicked? Yes! But it is not the easiest. And I find for me personally there is very little margin for error between not giving it enough angle and/or power and it just glides out straight, and giving it too much anny and/or power and it turns over instantly. I do occasionally have the same problem with Judges on powered down backhand approaches (again typically in the limbo land where it's too long to putt but <150') where I think it's going to sit down next to the basket but it glides out an extra 30'.

Maybe I'm being too picky. But as every other part of my game has improved, the approach game stays inconsistent. I noticed some improvement when I switched from Envies to Judges, as the slower Judge handles those awkward short shots better. Hoping that adding the king of slow discs, the berg, may bring even more consistency.

Feeling like a real bozo right now. I was practicing the UDisc accuracy practice last night and wasn't happy with my results from the 160' range. I pulled 5 Bergs out of the trunk and put every one of them within drop in range. I guess they're going back in the bag.

The disc doesn't give you shots you can't make with other discs, it just does what it does so well.

Bergs came in the mail today! Haven't thrown them yet.

The K3 felt pretty much like what I expected -- very nice baseline plastic (feels kind of halfway between Dynamic Discs' Classic Blend and Prime), and a flight pate that's flat inside of the raised thumbtrack.

The K2 though...man that is one weird feeling frisbee. I knew K2 was the softer plastic type, but I wasn't expecting it to be even more floppy than G*. And while the K3 has a flat flightplate, the K2 has a dome on it. Is that normal? Plus, the rim is actually a little bit warped, in that it won't actually sit down flat on a flat surface. Did I get some kind of weird reject K2, or is this a pretty normal Berg experience? Gotta say that the K3 makes the better first impression.

Bergs came in the mail today! Haven't thrown them yet.

The K3 felt pretty much like what I expected -- very nice baseline plastic (feels kind of halfway between Dynamic Discs' Classic Blend and Prime), and a flight pate that's flat inside of the raised thumbtrack.

The K2 though...man that is one weird feeling frisbee. I knew K2 was the softer plastic type, but I wasn't expecting it to be even more floppy than G*. And while the K3 has a flat flightplate, the K2 has a dome on it. Is that normal? Plus, the rim is actually a little bit warped, in that it won't actually sit down flat on a flat surface. Did I get some kind of weird reject K2, or is this a pretty normal Berg experience? Gotta say that the K3 makes the better first impression.

I felt up some K2 and knew it wasn't for me. Can't tell you anything else about it. I have a couple K1 glow and a couple K3. Agree that the K3 is very nice base plastic and yes, the K3 molds up flatter than K1 or K2. K1 is sweet, probably my favorite plastic ever.

I agree about the K1. It's the best feeling plastic hands down.

I can't help with the K2 question. I also only have a K1 and a K3.

The K3s are quite flat but the K1 and K2 have a "big" dome and is more OS than the K3

But the K2 should not be warped. . .i use a K3 and K2 in my big bad and a Glow K1 in my small bag

Latest posts