• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Kastaplast Berg

Took the K2 & K3 Berg out to the local pitch 'n' putt this morning, along with a couple Zones and Judges for comparison. First impression is that the Berg flies like a slower, less glidey Envy. I'd say the K2 flew 1/2/0/2, and the K3 came out of the hand just a tiny bit faster and with a little less bite at the end. Probably not enough to call it a different flight rating, nor different enough to warrant bagging both, but there was definitely a slight flight difference. Berg was coming up about 30' short of my Judges when giving both a good rip. Similar distance to my Titanium Zone but with a completely different flight shape to get that distance.

Overall I liked the K3 better. Both came out of the hand really nicely on backhands. That tacky/gummy K2 plastic seemed to grab the ground just a little bit quicker, but not by much. The K3 felt MUCH better in my hand for flick shots, which is why if either disc makes the bag it will almost assuredly be the K3. I really wish I had grabbed a K1 rather than K2, since I'm not sure if it's the plastic type or disc shape that is causing me forehand release issues with the K2.

The K3 felt MUCH better in my hand for flick shots, which is why if either disc makes the bag it will almost assuredly be the K3. I really wish I had grabbed a K1 rather than K2, since I'm not sure if it's the plastic type or disc shape that is causing me forehand release issues with the K2.

I never tried the K1 but had a similar experience with K2. I did not mind it BH but FH it was a deal breaker...felt like forehanding a dead fish.

The K3 is just perfect to me in feel and firmness. I wish they had a stiffer K3 for my Reko, but for the Berg, stiffness in K3 is not an issue. It stays very firm in this config.

I also love the hand feel. I like throwing my Rekos but every standard style putter feels like I am going to grip lock it when I throw it - just the way they all feel in my hand. This disc has a great feel where I am very confident throwing it.

I never tried the K1 but had a similar experience with K2. I did not mind it BH but FH it was a deal breaker...felt like forehanding a dead fish.

The K3 is just perfect to me in feel and firmness. I wish they had a stiffer K3 for my Reko, but for the Berg, stiffness in K3 is not an issue. It stays very firm in this config.

I also love the hand feel. I like throwing my Rekos but every standard style putter feels like I am going to grip lock it when I throw it - just the way they all feel in my hand. This disc has a great feel where I am very confident throwing it.

How do your K3 Bergs beat in? Are they fairly durable for a baseline plastic? And do they lose HSS or LSS first?

How do your K3 Bergs beat in? Are they fairly durable for a baseline plastic? And do they lose HSS or LSS first?

My K3 experience is with the Berg and Reko. They will definitely warp/taco if thrown hard into something. The Reko goes from a very stable flier to a turnover flier, which is honestly nice as I keep one in bag for long putts/approaches/turnovers and one for putting. When the putting one gets too ugly, I move it to thrower and grab a new one. The Reko also definitely loses some stiffness in K3.

With respect to the Berg, it will warp a little but i think the shape of the mold is inherently more durable and resistant to warpage. The disc went from 1/1/0/2 to 1/1/-.5/1 and I have seasoned two of them pretty well. I throw them a lot in almost any sub 220 ft scenario.
Now with most discs, if I read the last two numbers as -.5/1 I would expect it to turnover under power, but this disc beats into extremely straight under all power levels and holds every line. If you put it on a slight hyzer under power, it will pop to flat but it will stay there. It pops up but seems to resist turn at the same time. I aim almost straight at the pin with most throws. Did I mention the hand feel? Phenomenal

Agreed on the above. I carry a laser range finder. I measured how far the Berg flies at full power with an x-step and how far it goes from a full power stand still. It's so freaking consistent that now I can laser my upshot and know, okay I need to throw the berg from a standstill at 75% power. Slide under the basket. Feels like cheating.

Agreed on the above. I carry a laser range finder. I measured how far the Berg flies at full power with an x-step and how far it goes from a full power stand still. It's so freaking consistent that now I can laser my upshot and know, okay I need to throw the berg from a standstill at 75% power. Slide under the basket. Feels like cheating.

It literally is. You wouldn't be allowed to do that in league or tournaments.

Glad you like the Berg though.

Well the K3 Berg has found a spot in my bag for now. I was already heavily leaning that way, but the deciding factor was on a touchy 80 footer yesterday. I was stuck behind a row of trees, and the only window was out to my right while needing the disc to finish a bit left. Full stretch flick anny was the only way of getting remotely close, and I caught cage with the Berg.

There are a lot of things this disc does well, but that type of shot is what the Berg was born for! I think this disc is going to be a stroke saver for me.

Are the k3 Bergs any firmer in the flight plate than the k3 rekos? I think I can piece together an all kastaplast bag, I just can't get into rekos for putting. But the k1 and k2 berg I have seem to fly very scale like... just needs to be a tad firmer than k3 rekos

Yes, the k3 reko flight plate feels softer. The k3 berg the flight plate feels sort od taunt.

You may be disappointed though cause the k3 berg flys much like a k1/k2 berg.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Yes, the k3 reko flight plate feels softer. The k3 berg the flight plate feels sort od taunt.

You may be disappointed though cause the k3 berg flys much like a k1/k2 berg.

I like how my berg flies, I just don't like premium plastic for putters. Could be a mental thing. I also have read the flight plate is flatter in the k3. Is that the case in your experience?

I like how my berg flies, I just don't like premium plastic for putters. Could be a mental thing. I also have read the flight plate is flatter in the k3. Is that the case in your experience?

100% yes. I was pretty disappointed by the hand feel when I got my K2 Berg, both in terms of the floppiness of the plastic and the weird volcano shape of the flight plate. Also, I didn't notice any magical extra grip in my one wet round with it. It still felt slick, like every other premium plastic does when wet.

K3 Berg feels way better to me. It's a nice firm putter plastic, and the flight plate is much flatter. It's basically a traditional thumbtrack in K3, not a volcano at all. Feels like an entirely different disc compared to my K2.

Absolutely. They are akwardly flat. I like putting berg as well though I am a K2 berg guy.

K3 berg is flatter than k2 (or really more of a pure puddle than K2 with the mound in the middle), I find the K3 is easier to grip comfortably and i have more consistent releases with it. Only time i prefer K2 is wet rounds because i find dirt & mud stick to the k3.

K3 also beats in to have less fade, and makes a better putting putter for headwinds or precarious landings. K3 berg plate firmer than K3 Reko.

I gave K3 rekos a run for a few months as primary putter, have moved onto stiff Yetis. Still use K3 Berg for situational putting and controlled upshots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

100% yes. I was pretty disappointed by the hand feel when I got my K2 Berg, both in terms of the floppiness of the plastic and the weird volcano shape of the flight plate. Also, I didn't notice any magical extra grip in my one wet round with it. It still felt slick, like every other premium plastic does when wet.

K3 Berg feels way better to me. It's a nice firm putter plastic, and the flight plate is much flatter. It's basically a traditional thumbtrack in K3, not a volcano at all. Feels like an entirely different disc compared to my K2.

I only use my K1 Berg for FH's. I never liked the BH grip. For FH's, the grip is great & it performs really well. The FH roller with the K1 Berg is so useful if you play in the woods.

I only use my K1 Berg for FH's. I never liked the BH grip. For FH's, the grip is great & it performs really well. The FH roller with the K1 Berg is so useful if you play in the woods.

What's so great about the FH roller with a K1 Berg in the woods? Does it have tree root avoidance capabilities?

What's so great about the FH roller with a K1 Berg in the woods? Does it have tree root avoidance capabilities?

K1 Berg does have excellent off-road handling. When I do FH roll into an unseen root the Berg often pops up over it & continues to roll. Due to the flat edge.

When obnoxious roots don't ruin the fun the Berg will FH roll through most any tight cluster of woodsy trouble.

Just bought a K1 Glow Berg with some funny money from a recent tournament. What should I expect compared to my Glimmer-X Harps?

Just bought a K1 Glow Berg with some funny money from a recent tournament. What should I expect compared to my Glimmer-X Harps?

I've never thrown a Harp but I assure you the Berg will impress with it's sluggish, dependable & unique flight. I dare you to find a short range FH P&A that is as easy to park in front of the basket. It's the one mold I would have a terrible time trying to duplicate from another company.

I've never thrown a Harp but I assure you the Berg will impress with it's sluggish, dependable & unique flight. I dare you to find a short range FH P&A that is as easy to park in front of the basket. It's the one mold I would have a terrible time trying to duplicate from another company.

I'd have to argue a scale in fossil flex just this just as well. Though I have a personal preference for beaded approach discs. Do I ever wish there was a beaded berg... give us a Berg-x!

It flies very different than a harp though, and won't skip at all.

Latest posts