• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Knee Issues

ACE Ventura

Par Member
So in the past couple months my right knee has been giving me issues, especially when I'm climbing up and down hills while playing DG. I get painful tinges in my knee randomly and it feels weak, and when I put my hand on it and do a basic squat it feels gritty-ish. :sick: I am right handed so all my throws rely on the strong plant and turn on my right leg, even though throwing doesn't seem to cause the pain.

I do my best to avoid going to the doctor for anything, so I'm going to you folks first. Has anyone else experienced issues with their dominate knee? If so, what have you done to improve your issues?

I'm planning on buying a knee brace and hopefully that will alleviate the problem, but all advice is appreciated! Thanks.

I do my best to avoid going to the doctor for anything

Yeah that's the way to stay healthy. Dont go to the professionals, but ask some random strangers on the internet :D

That said : do you rotate on your toes or on your heel ?

I'm a toe rotator. I've never really got the hang of turning on the heel, I feel like it's way easier to get to the Hit on the toes than on the heel... but I used to throw shot put/ discus so toe rotations are much more natural for me as well.

And yes, avoiding the doctor is the best way to stay healthy. Every time you go in there they tell you something is wrong with you and give you 20 prescriptions! lol

I'm only 24 years old actually. I did have a rough injury in high school playing football where my femur and tibia smashed down against each other, bruising both bones. Was on crutches for 6 weeks, so hypothetically my cartilage could have been damaged way back then, but the doctor never mentioned that as a possible future issue, and they are never wrong....

Toe rotating may be easier for you to feel the hit, but it is way harder for your knee. Switch while you still can, otherwise you will have to switch to forehand soon cause the knee gave up.

And joke all you want, but the doctor is the best educated in medical things. You'll stop joking when you realise that this is the only body you'll ever have and once it's gone, it's gone.

Oh to be young again...

I'm not a doctor but I play one on the internet. You have (pick one) minor knee pain/torn meniscus/early onset arthritis/bone spurs/phantom pain/concussion/measles/black plague/chicken pox/gigantism.

Seriously, as someone who has been dealing with knee issues for 20 years, go to the doctor.

Toe rotating may be easier for you to feel the hit, but it is way harder for your knee. Switch while you still can, otherwise you will have to switch to forehand soon cause the knee gave up.

I agree. I too was a high school and college shot put and discus thrower. Rotating on my toes is natural for me. I started having knee problems the more I played. Fortunately I recognized this and was able to draw on my hammer and 35 lb weight throw experience. I can't say that I always rotate on my heel but I can say that my furthest throws are on my heel. It makes a dramatic difference on your knees.

Sounds like some loose, torn cartilege. Path forward is:

See an orthopedist
Get an MRI
Get a scope
Do Rehab
Downtime from DG varies by severtiy/patient, but figure 3-4 months.
Go now to get the ball rolling as all of these steps take time.
Ideally get it done in December and be back in action for the spring season

I'm the first to say go see a doctor. But if the pain is moderate and random, and not when you throw; and you don't want to go to the doctor; get the brace and try a stretching routine for hamstrings and calf muscle. You'd be amazed the effect tight ligaments can have on the knee.

If that doesn't work, go straight to ortho and find out what the real problem is.

Cut the leg off at the hip. It's the only way.

The Artist Formerly Known As Jukeshoe: <---Isn't a doctor but plays one online. :| :| :| :|

I suggest you just ignore it, until the knee goes to complete useless crap. Then teach your self to play left handed.

I'm 24 as well and have tendonitis in my right knee (from basketball, ultimate, disc golf combo). Go to a doctor and get the correct physical therapy routine to get through it.

If you insist on being stubborn, then I recommend riding a bike.

Comsider a new or more supportive pair of shoes.

Warm up your knees before throwing. A light jog followed by a quick walk side ways seems to help my knees warm up for throwing.

I'm a toe rotator. I've never really got the hang of turning on the heel, .

Same here............... 28 years of playing and i'm getting some knee pain after a tournament or multiple rounds in a day.

Cycling and snow skiing probably didnt help me either. Price we pay to have fun.

I'm just getting over 4 months of right (plant) knee pain and no disc golf. I had constant pain around my knee cap after playing one week, so I played again the next week of course and it still hurt. My doctor said I had inflammation of the fatty pad underneath my knee cap, and after 2 more weeks of pain, an orthopedist confirmed it. It took this long to go down and the pain to go away. I took prescription anti-inflamatories, and ice every night. I am back to playing ( and throwing a frew more forehands), and I wear an elastic wrap that seems to feel good. I don't rotate at all, so I had to take the time off to feel better. At least I know I don't have any other structural damage. Go see your doctor and find out.