• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Lat 64 xXx or Trident

HyzerBomb7

hey gues im looking to pick up one of the two mentioned discs in the title. just curious if you guys have thrown either or both and what your thoughts are. I know there is a speed difference but what im looking for is something very overstable for right to left shots. just let me know what you guys think

I think they are both the same thing. Some people like the XXX and some like the trident. It's like is the pred better then a firebird?

Both are excellent. XXX is going to give a more C-shaped flight - it wants to fade out of the hand - and the Trident is a bit more L-shaped. XXX is a bit faster, and the Trident kinda flies like a mid as opposed to a driver, since it is slow. Whichever one of those meets your needs should be the answer.

I think they are both the same thing. Some people like the XXX and some like the trident. It's like is the pred better then a firebird?

They're not the same. The Trident is much slower speed, almost flies like a mid. I'd compare it to a Whippet or Drone. It's really overstable and is great for short left to right.

I don't have as much experience with the XXX, but it's definitely faster with greater distance potential. It's more like a Firebird or a Pred, you'll be able to get a little more distance out of it before it fades hard.

^most people say they are both about the same. I guess I heard wrong.

IMO buy the XXX if you are looking for a great OH disc that can also double as a headwind fighter and OS FH disc. Buy the Trident if you are looking for an OS disc for approaches and fairway duties that can do some decent OH shots too. Their flight paths are a little different as are their shapes and feel, but they could be considered interchangeable to the uninitiated.

For the record, they are not the same. And a trident isn't the same as a drone either. Thrown on distance lines the trident will not be beastly overstable but it will be resistant to turn. It also doesn't skip nearly as much when thrown on distance lines.

The drone is clearly slower than the trident. I would honestly base it on what distance range you are looking for an OS disc.

Mid - Drone, Tweener - Trident, Driver - xXx.

They are very different, just feel the rims.

So much will depend on your power, as to whether you see a huge difference between the two.

I picked up a xXx to 'replace' a very flat Flat Top Firebird that I put into a pond. Not the same thing. The xXx is closer to a very domey Firebird, IMO. RHBH, full power and flat, I get about 200 + ft. straight out of the xXx before it fades...and then it fades hard, not quite as hard as a FT Firebird. It's slower out of an anhzer FH than I expected, but it does always fade. I threw it hard yesterday into a serious headwind, say 25 mph +, and it flew about 250-275 dead straight with no fade.

In my experience, it's very similar in flight to a "regular" domey champ Firebird. It feels 'bigger' in the hand, (deeper and wider rimmed?) which is better for my big hands. I love it, been calling it my "Swedish meatball."

I find it to be more versatile than the FT FB, covers more shots, I've been throwing a ton of FH with it, in addition to the standard "meathook" BH shots.

I'm going to have to try the Trident also. I haven't thrown it yet, but need to cover that slot still. But my guess is the more power you throw with, the more you'll see a difference between the two.

I'm going to have to try the Trident also. I haven't thrown it yet, but need to cover that slot still. But my guess is the more power you throw with, the more you'll see a difference between the two.

This. This is the answer.

I throw both discs at 175+g. I have two xXx's, one in GL plastic, and one Opto. The xXx flies a lot like a Firebird, very overstable, but a touch shorter by the numbers. I haven't thrown the Opto enough to know how it breaks in (if it will at all - Opto is pretty darn durable plastic), and my GL was hit by a lawnmower and then lost for a few weeks, so its flight characteristics are questionable.

The Trident is a shorter disc at the same weight; as someone noted earlier in the thread, it's a meathook mid. The profiles of the xXx and Trident are similar, so that may be the confusion that some are having about the discs (perhaps I will post a photo of the wings this afternoon). I really like the Trident. I've been throwing an all-Lat bag lately, and it's nice having a disc that feels like an OS driver but with 100' less distance without having to power it down too much.

Disc Golf Center describes the Trident as 5/2/0/5 and the xXx as 7/2/0/5. I would say these are fairly accurate assessments. Marshall Street rates the Trident as speed 7 and less overstable than the speed 8 xXx (with the Firebird being a speed 9 disc with equal stability to the xXx). The flight path at Inbounds has the xXx as a longer Drone and a touch shorter than the FB. The Trident doesn't have another disc that really matches the flight path, but it looks like a Whippet that actually turns a little on release.

Your comment about the lawnmower made me lol

Whippet, trident, demon, blaze, drone are all fairly similar as far as how they can be used. Some are a touch slower or faster, some can turn some etc but all of these are speed 5-6 ish and fade very hard with little glide.

Id recommend trying them all or at least holding them and go fromthere based on comfort in your hand.

if anyone has wing picks (side & bottome) between a trident and say a hornet, drone, or some other overstable mid, that would be very helpful!

Opto XXX on the left, GL Trident on the right.

Attachments

• XXX-Trident.jpg
    XXX-Trident.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 122
I have had both and now throw the XXX, it feels better in my hand and comes out a bit cleaner for me than my Trident did. I needed a disc that would handle a good bit of head wind, one that would fly strait and have a big fade at the end and a great disc for skip shots. It fits me and my intermediate arm (i throw it about 325-340ft) perfect at the weight of 167g and in Gold Line . I have thrown other XXX discs in different weight and TBH there has not been a significant difference in their flight paths.

The best way that I can explain the Trident is a Mid thats flight path is like you didnt get enough behind a Drone. I really didnt like the Trident that much, but I have not thrown one in about 9 months so it might behave differently.

What can the rim on the trident be compared to width wise? I know it has the flat edge and is like a cut off driver...but I want to get an idea of what it would feel like in the hand. Is the width that of a Hornet...XL...avenger...??? Also, does it feel weird throwing a "driver" like disc at a 250' hole? The shortest hole i'd throw a driver on is a 325' with my pred, otherwise im hitting it with my Hornet in most situations...

bump...because i really want to know what the size of the rim would compare to...see previous post. thanks

same rim width as an avenger, predator and saint according to discgolfsweden (1.9 cm)

reminds me of a slower pred, more of an overstable fairway than a mid imo. i can get it out near as far my river

Some people like to flick a whippet type disc on upshots. Especially in the woods. Slow, blunt nose, minimal glide. Still has a "driver" feel which I think helps with release issues. Often times when trying to flick mids, people don't get a clean release.