• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 River

Just sayin, Joe's lists a River at -0.5 hss and 3 lss, while latitude lists it as -2 and 1. That's a pretty big discrepancy.

I really just use flight charts as a VERY rough way of seeing how a disc will fly when I get it. I think the most accurate flight chart ever would just a a picture of the disc careening towards a tree, cuz there's no doubt it'll be doing some of that here and there, haha:p

I've been throwing a river for a few months and absolutely love them. The Opto is domier and has much more HSS than the heavier and flatter GL. They vary quite a bit, but the GL is a good compliment and between the two I have every shot I could want covered by the disc. If you like them, the variance in the mold is nice because you get pretty different discs and keep the same mold which is nice, you've just gotta play with a few and see what you like and then know what to look for in them.

I really just use flight charts as a VERY rough way of seeing how a disc will fly when I get it. I think the most accurate flight chart ever would just a a picture of the disc careening towards a tree, cuz there's no doubt it'll be doing some of that here and there, haha:p

I usually think Joe's is pretty accurate for me, especially for drivers and mids, so I feel like I can guess how something is going to fly for me by it.

However, people here seem to be describing flight more closer to lat64's chart. Guess the only thing I can do is grab one and give it a whirl! :D

I think rivers generally fit the more US description by Latitude 64, but I've heard the heavier ones can be more teebird/eagle like. Both of mine (165 GL, 172 O) have been about 7/6/-2/2 rated i would say.

Rivers seem to vary a lot by weight. My experience with GL: lightweight <165g are usually Leopardy, getting up to 170g are ELy, 176g+ get between TLs and TBs. These are all nearly deflashed, and Opto tend to be a notch more stable.

Rivers seem to vary a lot by weight. My experience with GL: lightweight <165g are usually Leopardy, getting up to 170g are ELy, 176g+ get between TLs and TBs. These are all nearly deflashed, and Opto tend to be a notch more stable.

Bingo ^

Looked @ one of these yesterday, looks alot like a Cyclone. Comparable?

I have been throwing Rivers as my go to driver for over a year now. Only in the last week am I going to be scaling them back and concentrating more on the Teebird. My reasoning being that since I backhanded a tree at full force two months ago, I cannot get consistent snap. When my wrist fails to fire, my grip overcompensates and either griplocks enough where I send the disc high and the right or I wrist roll the disc into an unintended anhyzer shooting it straight out to the right. The Teebird is just a tad less nose sensitive and a little more resistent to wrist roll than the River.

Here is how it affects the River:

When I get the snap right as well as the nose angle and release point, the River is the straightest disc I have ever thrown. No fade and no turn from straight to finish and it does not take a tremendous amount of power to do so. It is the ultimate fairway driver. I have shown this picture before, but this is my 177g Gold Line River at Blue Ribbon Pines. I nailed it perfectly, putting me on the left side of the fairway and at least giving me a legitimate shot at a 2. It landed about where that guy is on the left. This throw was a day before I backhanded the tree.

5893090222_c667b0c0da.jpg

However, since I developed that technique flaw two months ago, I find the harder I try to hit a tight fairway or want to make a perfect placement, the less likely I am able to do it. I have been wrist rolling the River a lot. The River is hard to flip but easy to turn. So trying to compensate for my sudden inconsistencies by hyzer flipping the River is hit or miss at best. Yet since it is easy to turn, it is very hard for it to come out of a wrist roll.

Also, while I would not call the River nose sensitive, because of its tremendous glide if it does have a nose up attitude, it does like to climb upwards. This was fatal during last weekend's B tier. When I wanted nice and easy placement down tight fairways or lines, sometimes it would just climb and nail those low hanging branches.

I am going to keep the Rivers in the bag, they are just too awesome for me to give up on because of my sudden inadequecies, but for the time being I am getting far better results from newer/ less beat Star Teebirds.

As for ratings. I agree that light Gold Lines are very Leopard-like while heavy Gold Lines are closer to very beat light TeeBirds. My Optos have had a wide variety of stabilities. Most seem to be a touch more HSS but more finicky LSS. When underpowered they seem to have more LSS but once you exceed a certain power and speed, they actually seem to have less LSS than Gold Line. Yet during the winter, these variations in stability seem to settle down and the Optos actually become more Gold Line like while the Gold Lines become rather difficult to grip because of how slick GL becomes when wet.

Another question to be asked onthis thread...how do light (<165g) rivers work for rollers?

I had a problem with Rivers there that while I loved them so much, I just couldn't quite get a consistent flight. It had to do with judging hyzer/anhyzer angle and finding just the right match or it would go too much one way or the other in flight. So, with a heavy heart, I abandoned them and they seemed to valuable to just leave laying around so I traded them as well.

Recently though; I have been doing a lot more standstill throws and using a smooth motion on those to where I have figured out some weird habits I have that would give OAT that would exhagerate one way or the other. The worse one being where I would lift my right shoulder (RHBH) making even an anhyzer angle kind of "scoop" on the pull for a roll under. This would cause me to do a really exaggerated angle to get a turnover drive and often times launch the disc at a very sharp right turn and way right to begin with. Think I am getting it smoothed out.

Anyway. Finally ordered a couple more GL Rivers. I just miss that glide.

I have the same problem with my Opto River. It doesn't like being told to hold a hyzer or anny, it just wants to go straight and glide for days. So I'm giving it a 2nd chance in a kind of distance driver capacity until I wear it enough for it to become the understable driver I hoped for it to be.

I have the same problem with my Opto River. It doesn't like being told to hold a hyzer or anny, it just wants to go straight and glide for days. So I'm giving it a 2nd chance in a kind of distance driver capacity until I wear it enough for it to become the understable driver I hoped for it to be.

You just need to teach it better. Mine almost always does what she is told :D.

I had a problem with Rivers there that while I loved them so much, I just couldn't quite get a consistent flight. It had to do with judging hyzer/anhyzer angle and finding just the right match or it would go too much one way or the other in flight. So, with a heavy heart, I abandoned them and they seemed to valuable to just leave laying around so I traded them as well.

Recently though; I have been doing a lot more standstill throws and using a smooth motion on those to where I have figured out some weird habits I have that would give OAT that would exhagerate one way or the other. The worse one being where I would lift my right shoulder (RHBH) making even an anhyzer angle kind of "scoop" on the pull for a roll under. This would cause me to do a really exaggerated angle to get a turnover drive and often times launch the disc at a very sharp right turn and way right to begin with. Think I am getting it smoothed out.

how would you compare them to the dx teebirds you used to throw? dont think i could ever get away from mine but the river has been tempting me for a bit.. like that nice dead straight dx teebird flight but would love it in premi purrty plastic

It's just in a weird, in-between stage of wear where it doesn't know what it wants to do. When it was new I could pull off hyzers no problem. Now if I want a hyzer finish, I have to hyzer flip it and pray that it fades back and if I really snap it it almost always turns over finishes right like my old Monarchs.

I've learned that with the River I really "girly" up my through. I take everything slower and not as powerful and it gives great results especially in the woods. I have a red coloroshift GL I have been biting at the bit to throw just haven't been out to play in a while. Never tossed on in GL.

I sort of know what you are talking about because that is the experience I had with my very first River. It was neither flippy nor stable, and just seemed to have a mind of it's own. They are a bit inconsistent...Anyway, my heavy GL was always quite straight. It was not flippy out of the box, but would hold a turn pretty easy and pull out with the right height and speed. Now it has definitely lost some more stability and I find it quite forgiving. It's not as understable as I want it to be, but it's getting there at a good pace. It feels like a longer Fuse, though it can really go far.

I tested out a 175 Opto to match my GL's weight and that thing is not what I'm looking for. It has quite a bit of LSS and enough HSS to make it tough to work lines for fairway distances, however, when powered it always gets some turn. I just don't know where it fits in. On a whim I grabbed an eye catching pink (the only one, and the only bright colored opto we had in our whole River selection) River. It was shaped similar to my others (moderate dome as opposed to freakishly high dome), but only weighted 170. This disc is sweet as it is both more HSS than it's heavy brother, and much less LSS. It is a sweet line holding disc that will stay on whatever line I give it and still glide. It also takes less arm than my heavy GL. I'm finding that these two discs compliment each other quite well.

So I guess my recommendation is heavy GL and light Opto to get the most out of this mold.

how would you compare them to the dx teebirds you used to throw? dont think i could ever get away from mine but the river has been tempting me for a bit.. like that nice dead straight dx teebird flight but would love it in premi purrty plastic

I actually got to the point to where I was having trouble with my beat Teebirds, but I would say a GL River in the same weight, when I was hitting it right, would yield about the same line as a beat Teebird but with less arm. At least my theory is that when I get my new ones, to be smooth and not try too hard; sort of how I have been throwing my light GL Fuse. (seeing discspeeds comparison inspires hope that I am right)

Welcome back... i knew you'd come around on them again. :)

Welcome back... i knew you'd come around on them again. :)

lol Well they are damned addictive. Even if I don't have it all figured out now, those long glidey flights I get on occasion make having any wild throw almost completely worth it. I say "almost" only because the worse part of a wild throw with one was when I would be worried I wasn't going to find it.