• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

Bites are a ton of fun to throw. Very touchy though. It's too bad Lat didn't submit it for PDGA approval.

Tons of Polecat love. Does anyone like the Birdie? I have one collecting dust that I wanted to toss one day, just to see how it flies.
I just grabbed a champion Birdie a bit ago and I love it. Good headwind disc and can be powered up nicely. Laser Straight and wont fade hardly at all. It just floats to the ground.

Are they larger diameter like an ultimate disc?

They are definitely an ultimate-sized fastback.

Edit: Alright, I exaggerated. It's no Ultrastar, but it's wide enough that a putter'll sit inside of it.

Last edited:
They are definitely an ultimate-sized fastback.

Edit: Alright, I exaggerated. It's no Ultrastar, but it's wide enough that a putter'll sit inside of it.

Yeah, its about the same size as a SuperHero, but not as deep. I can't imagine using one for golf, but I do throw it for my dog. It can go pretty far with a typical nose up wrist flick Frisbee throw. More durable than the Super Sonic I was using with my dog.

Yeah, its about the same size as a SuperHero, but not as deep.

This is accurate. The Opto I have feels like the opaque FR Opto Pures I love. I definitely understand it being more durable than the SuperHero. My first Pure was two years old and just starting to get good before I left it on the course. :wall:

Just rounded up the lot...The Bite is slightly smaller diameter than a SuperHero, which is slightly smaller diameter than a Zephyr, which is about an inch smaller diameter than a Daredevil Gamedisc and Discraft Ultrastar.

Last edited:
Just was out at the course earlier and it was too swampy to get a full round in. So I ended up grabbing a couple of Zephyrs and played some safari golf. Such a true flight and super fun to watch. I ordered some Te Mokos and Hero Type 235s earlier this week to put a Super Class bag together.

I was wondering, while I was throwing my Zephyrs around, if Super Class tournaments were still offered anywhere?

Was having a ton of fun throwing around my buddies Ultrastar, what would be the closest PDGA legal disc? Condor?

Was having a ton of fun throwing around my buddies Ultrastar, what would be the closest PDGA legal disc? Condor?

Ultrastars are PDGA legal.

Maybe a Zephyr if you want a different option.

Condors are more like a giant Roc.

Last edited:
I was wondering, while I was throwing my Zephyrs around, if Super Class tournaments were still offered anywhere?

The last one I saw was back in 2013, and not in my area. There might be some unsanctioned ones around somewhere, but it did not prove to be a popular format.

Gave my DX Birdie a try today for short little test against the Rattler. I found that the Rattler was both longer, and more glidey. I admit to initially being excited to find a straight point and shoot lid, back when I first bought my set of Rattlers, but around here, lids are just not needed. If I was in the woods, where inches mattered, I could see bagging one, but my Ion is versatile enough.

Overall, I have to suggest the Rattler over the Birdie. Maybe one of these days I'll pick up a Polecat to see if it really wins the lid battle.

What types of courses do you play? I probably carry a PC for open courses more than anything else b/c it makes NAGS zones of awkward par'd holes a lot more interesting.

What types of courses do you play? I probably carry a PC for open courses more than anything else b/c it makes NAGS zones of awkward par'd holes a lot more interesting.

I play long, open courses. Really any putter will do, if you can throw it half way decently.

I play long, open courses. Really any putter will do, if you can throw it half way decently.

A Groove will do, if you throw it half way decently. A lid will do better. Dial one in and it's like playing catch with the basket.

A Groove will do, if you throw it half way decently. A lid will do better. Dial one in and it's like playing catch with the basket.

Lol. Lid lovers can get a little defensive. :p

I get the love, and I'm a fan. But I'm also a bit of a minimalist. A lid would likely just ride the pine because of the Ion. Heck, the Anode and Atom are excellent discs, and even they don't get used.

I was fondling my D Zeppelins just five minutes ago. I know they aren't true lids, but my gosh I love how those discs feel in the hand. And they fly so beautifully. Still can't believe they didn't produce more.

I used to preach the gospel of the Ion as hard as anyone, still love that disc. The Polecat honestly made it superfluous.

Not PDGA Legal but I got my hands on a Gateway catch disc prototype. They fly great, almost too stable and wear visually before the flight changes a ton. Soft in the hand for catching, especially for the weight, but firm enough throwing isnt cumbersome. The thumb groove is much more natural feeling than the bump in a super hero (I love my super heros).
I really hope Dave submits these for PDGA/superclass approval. Its definately a touch more stable than my TeMoko and would make a better compliment to a zephyr or superhero.

I have pictures struggling to upload now. I will get them posted eventually

Latest posts