• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

Alright gents, I broke my beloved Sonic this past weekend. While I might still replacement but looking into other lids. Give me pros and cons of other lids, how they throw etc etc. I actually use them during rounds so keep that in mind.

Don't feel like perusing this thread. If I want to get started on polecats what weights do I want?

Max weight or close to it. I see no reason not to, the disc will hold anyone you put it on. Hyzer and an-Hyzer.

On second thought get a 150 r-pro and let me know how it flies :D

Max weight or close to it. I see no reason not to, the disc will hold anyone you put it on. Hyzer and an-Hyzer.

On second thought get a 150 r-pro and let me know how it flies :D

I'm with you on throwing 175s, but there are a lot of *cough* "purists" who will tell you only the lighter ones really fly like lids. I wouldn't know.

it's true, the light polecats are more like lids. great for finesse shots. but the max weights or 160+ are more like discs that are like lids. which is even better imo.

i just drive with fresh max weight and as they beat up they lose their stability and then work perfect for floaty lid shots. they're just more speed sensitive, obviously, and have less carry due to the higher weight.

I'm going to pick up a few gateway big dogs (the lid) and mini wiz (smaller polecat), this weekend. If anyone wants some, let me know and i'll get extras

To anyone who was wanting them heres a chance. I love mine! (for catch, I am afraid to throw it on the course cause I may like it too much)

I'd heard that they were going to seek approval. They sent me two different versions. Same top, but one is much deeper.

Alright gents, I broke my beloved Sonic this past weekend. While I might still replacement but looking into other lids. Give me pros and cons of other lids, how they throw etc etc. I actually use them during rounds so keep that in mind.

Polecat:
Pros: Widely available in a couple of plastics, very neutral and loves straightness. Not as deep profile so nicer for smaller hands and those more use to conventional golf discs.

Cons: People will giggle when you pull it out of your bag. Doesn't love wind. Doesn't like OAT.

Rattl'r
Pros: Shaped like a small diameter Ultrastar makes it familiar for Ultimate players. Can take a little more power. Handles wind decently. Really slow. Least stupid name.

Cons: Really deep dish. D plastic usually less durable than DX lately.

Birdie:
Pros: Handles wind and power decently, DX plastic.

Cons: Tweety bird ripoff stamp, poor glide (for a lid), deeper than Polecat.

Putt'R:
Pros: X plastic is pretty decent, actually lid-like, neutral to understable. Basically if a conventional putter had a baby with a lid it would be a Putt'R, so it's an interesting hybrid. Not terrible to putt with.

Cons: Z plastic (OOP) is a glideless turd for a lid (makes it a decent putter though). Rivals the Birdie in the stupid name dept. Kind of has an identity crisis, could foresee OOP in its future.

Zeppelin:
Pros: Lid-like flight in conventional putter form.

Cons: Never put into production.

That's all I got.

I'm with you on throwing 175s, but there are a lot of *cough* "purists" who will tell you only the lighter ones really fly like lids. I wouldn't know.

The max weights are alright but I like my Polecat to be a bit touchier than your standard, beat up [insert DX putter here] so I like mine in the 160s. Light enough to fly like a frisbee but heavy enough to not feel like a paper plate after throwing 170+ golf discs for 90% of my round. 150s on down is catch disc territory.

My limited PIAS time with the rattl'r didn't feel any deeper than a polecat. So is the rattl'r slower than a polecat? (If that's even possible)

My limited PIAS time with the rattl'r didn't feel any deeper than a polecat. So is the rattl'r slower than a polecat? (If that's even possible)

I think they (Rattl'rs) are slower, just a tiny bit. Might be in my mind though.

The Rattl'r might not feel as deep b/c it has a rounded shoulder whereas a Polecat is shaped like a Crisco lid.

it's funny how different people can be.

i'd sooner use the rattl'r as a portable toilet than throw with the damn thing; i hate how it feels... but the polecat fits my hand better than any other disc i throw. to me the rattl'r feels waaaaaaay deeper.

Maybe my hands were super big that day.

I'll pick one up soon and give it a fly. Why not

It's funny it's a battle for lid supremacy. Really no need to bag multiple lids, because you want it to float to your destination. That's a good thing.

yep; they lid-like discs just do one thing. pick the one that works best for you and throw it, it's nice and simple.

of course, once someone makes a good OS lid we can have debates over whether or not they are necessary. for now we'll all just hug it out in the lid thread.