• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

Polecat:
Pros: Widely available in a couple of plastics, very neutral and loves straightness. Not as deep profile so nicer for smaller hands and those more use to conventional golf discs.

Cons: People will giggle when you pull it out of your bag. Doesn't love wind. Doesn't like OAT.

Rattl'r
Pros: Shaped like a small diameter Ultrastar makes it familiar for Ultimate players. Can take a little more power. Handles wind decently. Really slow. Least stupid name.

Cons: Really deep dish. D plastic usually less durable than DX lately.

Birdie:
Pros: Handles wind and power decently, DX plastic.

Cons: Tweety bird ripoff stamp, poor glide (for a lid), deeper than Polecat.

Putt'R:
Pros: X plastic is pretty decent, actually lid-like, neutral to understable. Basically if a conventional putter had a baby with a lid it would be a Putt'R, so it's an interesting hybrid. Not terrible to putt with.

Cons: Z plastic (OOP) is a glideless turd for a lid (makes it a decent putter though). Rivals the Birdie in the stupid name dept. Kind of has an identity crisis, could foresee OOP in its future.

Zeppelin:
Pros: Lid-like flight in conventional putter form.

Cons: Never put into production.

That's all I got.

Thanks BroD :thmbup:

Probably going Polecat.

Maybe my hands were super big that day.

I'll pick one up soon and give it a fly. Why not

It's funny it's a battle for lid supremacy. Really no need to bag multiple lids, because you want it to float to your destination. That's a good thing.
Unless your destination is a friend playing double disc catch, then I recommend a Superhero and a SuperSonic. :thmbup:

Pretty sure throwing two lids where one fits inside the other is frowned upon in PDGA play though. :\

Thanks BroD :thmbup:

Probably going Polecat.

I'll throw one more in there, the one I bag:

Yikun Claws

PRO: Lid shape, feel and flight but with more all around stability, can be thrown into a headwind, "Rings Of Hedrick" style on the top give it great grip for fan and powergrips, holds all lines, cheap and plentiful

CONS: plastic is the opposite of durable, less glide than other lids besides maybe the Putt'r, only available in one color, limited weights (mostly 165-172,) Chinese company, crappy stamp

It's also available as the Salient Lockjaw. It's the same disc but with a better stamp.

I'll throw one more in there, the one I bag:

Yikun Claws

PRO: Lid shape, feel and flight but with more all around stability, can be thrown into a headwind, "Rings Of Hedrick" style on the top give it great grip for fan and powergrips, holds all lines, cheap and plentiful

CONS: plastic is the opposite of durable, less glide than other lids besides maybe the Putt'r, only available in one color, limited weights (mostly 165-172,) Chinese company, crappy stamp

It's also available as the Salient Lockjaw. It's the same disc but with a better stamp.

I've actually thrown this one too. The plastic was the deal breaker. And Kilgus.

Currently bagging a Polecat. Different than the Sonic but it gets the job done on the shots I was using the Sonic for: accurate pitchouts, layups, FH frisbee shots.

What plastics is it available in?

It's called "Tiger Line" and the Salient version is "Karbon Ancient." Super grippy but it dings up pretty quick. My Claws has been in the bag for three months and it looks pretty fugle...still flies great though!

I've actually thrown this one too. The plastic was the deal breaker. And Kilgus.

Currently bagging a Polecat. Different than the Sonic but it gets the job done on the shots I was using the Sonic for: accurate pitchouts, layups, FH frisbee shots.

The plastic is kinda crappy but it honestly doesn't effect the flight much. Its a lot more bruising than chunking or denting, anyway.

And Chris Kilgus has nothing to do with Yikun, for the record.

We should know next week if the alternate mold housing through Gateway can handle an RDG lid ;)

My goal of creating the midranges next is going to be put on the back burner for a bit bc Dave already plans to tool a standard inner rim for their midranges. I will then use this new mid core to develop our mid. Its going to be a slow process but who needs a little fan brand to rush out a mid...?

Instead, RDG will be attempting to satisfy the masses with the one lid to rule them all ;)
All pending Gateway's "Go" on the new mold base.

I'm of course interested in seeing a lid, of any stability, in Fossil plastic. I'm also curious to see how much glide it could have. Bummer about the mids though. Those can't come out soon enough!

Why does Fossil make all you guys **** your pants? Get it together.
I'm pretty excited though. Especially if they're Goldblum stamped.

If you're stamping from the movie, it needs to be Nedry

laughing-jurassic-park-reaction-dennis-nedry_200s.gif

Because its like 8x KC Pro molded with the tears of baby jesus and ground unicorn horn

I hate when people make what I want and force me to spend money. :\