• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Local League Rude Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to make this about me but I promote the sport in a positive way, smoke, don't drink, work course workdays, teach boy scouts, and run the club monthly. Now I have a great professional career working in education and have a family that seems to be doing fine but because I blaze on the course am I hurting the image when the only ones that see me blaze are other course guys like myself that bust their ass for make a great DG environment?

Like I tell my students that have convictions on their record "all you can do is put time and accomplishment between you and your past to start a new future".

This right here is what they are having a hard time grasping.

We are basically viewed as Phish fans and dead heads who throw plastic

In my experience, this prejudiced "view" is quickly altered with the following question: Did you know that there are professional level disc golfers that compete in National and World Championship tournaments?

This question typically spurs a conversation that quickly and easily sheds light on the fact that disc golf is more than a simple recreational activity like beach volleyball. What's that you say??? Beach Volleyball is an Olympic sport??? Tell me more ;)

Who's the idiot the judged or the judger?Hmm.

^^^
35p7gs.jpg

For the Original Poster (OP):
I've joined the spring and summer weekly leagues here in Cincinnati as a rookie player this year, and can say categorically, NO, this is not 'normal' or acceptable league behavior, no matter who organized that league.

In fact, our league players really do play like gentlemen, and seem to be very patient with others using the course.

Our local club (the GCFDA) is affiliated with our league, and would probably try to help change that sort of thing, because it is a terrible image for the local growth of the sport.

So, I would suggest contacting the local disc golf association to see if they could help out with the situation.

Some great people in Cincy and they are always out to show people how to play or talk about the sport! :thmbup:

In my experience, this prejudiced "view" is quickly altered with the following question: Did you know that there are professional level disc golfers that compete in National and World Championship tournaments?

That is a great point right up until the Innova sponsor player smokes a bowl in front of everyone during the instruction seminar they put on before the sanctioned a-tier tournament started....

There are people on both sides of the coin and both sides of the fence. The problem is those who push the envelope usually ruin it for everyone else. Its not our intentions that matter but how they are perceived. And people smoke drink and use drugs in other sports (eg melky c), its a fact. How is disc golf going to move forward, if it moves forward? Some people are ok with status quo, some want some change (the PDGA) and some are going to say "damn the man"...

Last edited:
Banning tobacco products is hardly an image overhaul.

your opinion. chewing tobacco is banned in baseball. in your opinion do you think that is part of an image overhaul? you dont have to respond, but try and understand the point of what he PDGA and others are trying to do. some people don't agree. some people root for the giants and some for the jets.

Last edited:
As of right now I would never invite any co-workers or family members to disc golf courses. Let's see, the ongoing use of weed in open public, the use and abuse of alcohol, the rude obnoxious language and swearing, the verbal tyrants of grown men, players pissing all over the course, hmm should I continue? Yea, disc golfers don't have an image problem, what a fallacy...

Last edited:
PDA has no control, tourney golf is not near as as much as casual rounds. They can clean up tourneys but not the regular scene, that is up to us.

I can't stop lurking on this thread anymore...

Okay BP, what would you suggest the PDGA do to improve the image?
I'll answer that, rather than sweeping it under the rug, have PDGA openly discuss the image issues of disc golf and then start an active campaign to overhaul this activity. Organize State Coordinators to communicate to local disc golf organizations what this mission is and have it's members abide by it and set a new standard. That means not coming to the course loaded, or breaking out the pipe and passing it around. Leaving alcohol at home when it's against the law in a public park. Encourage friends to not trash the course. Act in a dignified and courteous manner. Help out other disc golfers and show them the sport. Be looked up on not looked down upon. Encourage other players to follow suit. Welcome kids and families and show them how to play the sport. Start organizing events for kids and volunteer to help bring disc golf to local schools. How about that for a start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts