• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Local League Rude Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't stop lurking on this thread anymore...

Okay BP, what would you suggest the PDGA do to improve the image?

Nothing at all,the image is just fine,some of the participants may be lacking in morals,but far more are good decent people trying to have a good time in the outdoors.

There are two main reasons courses get pulled. First, troublesome behavior that fairly or unfairly reflects the type of player who visits the course. Second, the lack of usage and thus a waste of tax dollars. Both are a result of negative stereotypes.

The first reason's connection to a negative stereotype speaks for itself. However, as for the second reason where the sport cannot support a course, that is because the negativity created by rude behaviors and illegal consumption turns away new players. Many manufacturers and retailers who distribute via wholesale are doing a wonderful job getting discs out where a wider population can be enticed by the sport. All that effort is going to be wasted if courses close and the pool of potential players who will purchase these discs disappear.

While someone's personal use of illegal drugs, over consumption of alcohol, and or rude behavior is generally none of my business and do not affect me if it is done in private, when this is being done in public it very much does affect me. Between where I teach and my home I have only four courses available, three of them 9 holers and the fourth is an 18 holer that is only open for six months. Two of those 9 holers are new and were put in with the city's blessing that they will add to the community. I am sure that they can just as easily be yanked if the percentage of undesirables gets too large, which can happen rather quickly if only those handful of the type of players we are talking about are the ones still playing.

So yes, the negative stereotype most definitely affects me.

I challenge you guy's to name 10 courses that got pulled this year in any state,then name how many new courses have been installed.the new courses far out number pulled courses. How in the world are we getting all these new courses w/ our soiled image.

Nothing at all,the image is just fine,some of the participants may be lacking in morals,but far more are good decent people trying to have a good time in the outdoors.

If the image is so good then why do people ask me if I enjoy hanging out with the pot smoking hippies when I tell them I play disc golf?

LOL...I like that. Well thought out and rather logical actually.
Thanks. If players would just keep alot of this activity at home, then cool. But once they bring it to a public course, I cringe when I see a nice family taking their kids out to the park to throw some frisbees and then show up on a hole with 2 guys passing a pipe, one guy pissing in the bushes and the other shirtless holding a beer swearing out loud.:wall:

If the image is so good then why do people ask me if I enjoy hanging out with the pot smoking hippies when I tell them I play disc golf?

If I talk disc golf w/ someone that doesn't play,they usually just say they never heard of it before, and ask if it's like ball golf, no mention of weed, EVER.

If I talk disc golf w/ someone that doesn't play,they usually just say they never heard of it before, and ask if it's like ball golf, no mention of weed, EVER.

^2nd this emotion.

How in the world are we getting all these new courses w/ our soiled image.

Very carefully by incredibly dedicated individuals who do a wonderful job convincing park boards and city councils that a disc golf course can be an asset for the city. These are individuals who realize it would be best to not blaze up in that meeting room, thus projecting the image of a clean community of players. However, whether a player or not, there will always be individuals for better or worse who consider it their duty to inform the city (via police or directly to the board as a complaint) of unsavory behavior. No board (whether government based or a business) likes to be made to look the fool in front of a voting community.

I know of two course that have been pulled, one that went pay to play, one more that is considering pay to play, and three more that are under public pressure to be pulled.

I am fully aware that several of the responses on this thread are from trolls, but for those who think negative public (and that word is the whole of my argument) behaviors have no real impact on other players, you are dillusional. I really enjoy this sport for its physical attributes, to be out throwing plastic and testing my ability to make them fly a certain direction whether competitively or not on a designated course where i know others have tried and have or have not been as suucessful as i just was, but if you do something that gets one of my courses pulled because you think this sport gives you a right to be douche, then we have an issue.

Alright, /rant. I am tired of those who perpetuate this negative stereotype whether they are just trolls looking to ruffle the feathers who are actually concerned by how they are viewed by their non-playing peers, or by those who have no clue or just do not care they are putting our courses in danger. Just do not get my course pulled and we will not have an issue.

diferent regions have different views.

This thread is about rude disc golfers in your state, yet you do not think disc golfers have a bad image. I think Ohio has it's own image that is worse than the recreational stoner thanks to you, TheStray, PodunkPete, Mattabe, JohhnyDepth, Hoover Larry, Wareagle, and This guy.

I challenge you guy's to name 10 courses that got pulled this year in any state,then name how many new courses have been installed.the new courses far out number pulled courses. How in the world are we getting all these new courses w/ our soiled image.

Because hard working people bust their @$$es to overcome negative images.

FOr the most part the scene here is not too bad. We had a group a few weeks ago being loud and throwing on people, littering. Me and another golfer decided to say something to them as there were younger kids around. We just said can you keep it down a little and wait until the group in front of you is done. I was ready to get punched or something, but they listened and then just left the course without saying anything bad. I am not one to go out of my way to get into people's business, but someone needed to say something instead of just watching the spectacle.

Therein lies the potential and the problem of the sport. Most people have at least heard of frisbee and its association with the drug usage in the 70s. As we move further and further away from that particular stereotype we gain more control over the public perception of this sport.

I know that I gained a strike against me when I interviewed for a position at a transitional school that had a course on campus for those being rehabilitated and I mentioned that I play.

At a more recent interview, one that I did get and thus they were frank with me afterward, they were intrigued that I played (it came up in casual conversation after the interview). He asked me about the sport but he was tap dancing around the drug usage issue because he did not want to prejudge me based upon his very limited knowledge of the sport. This was coming from a person where there was not a course within 40 miles of the school. My playing is still the butt of many jokes around the school, although nothing is ever explicitly implied.

diferent regions have different views.

This thread is about rude disc golfers in your state, yet you do not think disc golfers have a bad image. I think Ohio has it's own image that is worse than the recreational stoner thanks to you, TheStray, PodunkPete, Mattabe, JohhnyDepth, Hoover Larry, Wareagle, and This guy.

Whats wrong with Ohio!!!!!!

As of right now I would never invite any co-workers or family members to disc golf courses. Let's see, the ongoing use of weed in open public, the use and abuse of alcohol, the rude obnoxious language and swearing, the verbal tyrants of grown men, players pissing all over the course, hmm should I continue? Yea, disc golfers don't have an image problem, what a fallacy...

I don't know how people do it out your way but I feel bad for you if that's the truth. I try to play 2 or 3 times a week and out of the hundreds of people I've passed on the course I've only ran into true idiots maybe 5 times. 99% of the time they are very respectful people. Even if they are "burning" or putting back a few beers. I agree with blind pilot. He is a very intellegent individual that is a very hard worker on courses around here. One of my top 3 favorite holes in our area is a blind pilot design. I had no idea about disc golf, good or bad, until a few friends opened my eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts