• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Longer Zone?

jonkimbertx

Par Member
Is there a disc that fits the role of a "longer Zone" for FH throwing? I've cycled through a bunch in my search but nothing has fit the bill. The most recent disappointment was the Matrix, which just doesn't have enough HSS despite MVP calling it "their most overstable yet". Too bad cuz it felt really good in the hand.

Factors involved in my love affair with the Zone:
- Speed 5-8
- Flat top
- Beadless
- HSS + OAT resistance
- Low profile
- Minimal glide
- Comfortable for FH

Rejects (for me) have also included the Gator, Verdict, Resistor, Justice, Spark (Opto and Recycled), Kaxe Z, Longbowman, and others I've probably forgotten. All have come up short on at least one of those aspects. I'm thinking hard about trying a Tyrant, I hate pink though =( Any other suggestions?

I was going to suggest the Resistor as it fits your description to a T. What didn't you like about it? If you let me know maybe I can think of another disc that'd work

Have you tried a XXX? Bit higher speed than you wanted, I think its a 9, but its a hog so it really doesn't go as far as other speed 9's.

XXX was the first thing to come to mind. Or a Drone is you are looking for a mid. But there's a pretty big difference between the two discs.

I was going to suggest the Resistor as it fits your description to a T. What didn't you like about it? If you let me know maybe I can think of another disc that'd work

Have you tried a XXX? Bit higher speed than you wanted, I think its a 9, but its a hog so it really doesn't go as far as other speed 9's.

So with the resistor it was a couple things. Mine was 174 and flew like a shorter FAF Firebird from release to finish, continuous hyzer rather than stable to fade. Maybe a lighter weight would help? Second I just found it uncomfortable, flat and low but very sharp edged.

If you didn't find it comfortable, not much you can do there. Sounds like a beat one or 165G would have flown better for you at least. I've thrown the same one since they came out and I prefer that one to new ones myself.

Try and get your hands on a XXX. I'd offer to trade you mine since I don't use it any more but its an ace disc :D

I don't think there is enough distance separating the Drone and Zone for it to be worth bagging both. I think a slower fairway works better if you bag a Zone.

Banshee might be worth trying too, I think they run those in champ on a regular basis.

I'd recommend checking out a Mortar. I bag a Recon Mortar. It's based on (is?) a beadless Gator. Unlike beadless Gators it's in regular production. It comes in Frontline-X plastic (similar to GStar) & Recon plastic (Champion). The most recent runs (not the 1st run) are all flat topped. The Mortar replaced my Champion Gator. The main reason was because its beadless. I've always had issues throwing beaded discs sidearm. It's my most used sidearm disc 300' & under. I think any beadless beefy mid will have some overlap with a Zone. The Mortar fits your criteria & is still worth a look.

My first suggestion would be a Hornet. If you're looking for something higher speed, then you're probably going to touch the Banshee and Firebird/Felon arenas.

I would highly recommend the hornet and banshee. I throw both as well as the zone. They are very similar to the flight of the zone.

My first thought was Buzzz OS. But if thats not OS enough, my next suggestion would be a xxx

I would ask why the Justice didn't make the cut. But you could also try; XXX, Trident, Resistor. The Tyrant is not OS enough for what your describing.

Hyzerbomb MOAB. It's a modified Viper, so it's right on line with a Whippet. Just beastly overstable and very comfortable for a forehand power grip. It's about a 6/3/1/5 and it lives up to that "5" fade! Throw it with anhyzer and it will just laugh in your face. I've thrown it in 30mph headwinds out by my airport and it still faded out about 40' left. It's every bit as OS as any FAF Firebirds I've seen and then some. Love that thing for my utility spot.