• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Longer Zone?

Thief fits most or maybe all of those criteria. It's 8,5,0,2. It's pretty flat and shallow, no bead. I don't know about OAT resistant, as I don't really know how to figure that out. I use it for FH and BH. I have a Lucid Thief and have thrown it in Biofuzion. Mine is definitely more overstable. I like to throw it with a little anny. It always flexes out and dumps left at the end.

^^^I think the Thief's numbers are off. I'd give it a HSS of 1. And anyway...an HSS of 2 isn't what the OP is looking for given the list of discs they've been trying.

Tridents have been mentioned, but they're OOP. I'd go with a max weight Buzzz OS. My Glo Flx runs have been just as OS as the 2 Justices I've had a chance to throw. Flat topped liked the Zone, beadless, and fairly shallow rim.

I'd look at the Hornet, as has been mentioned earlier. It's more stable/less glide than the Verdict IME (I prefer the Verdict for how I play). You could pair that with a Felon (like a low-end stability range of Firebird, but they are flat) and have all the longer Zone shots covered.

^As far as Thief goes, I have only thrown it in Biofuzion but it was like a Valk...lots of turn and very long. Not what you want. Even if other plastics are more stable, it has a ton of glide and I don't see that disappearing.

Edit: For reference my FH distance is similar range to yours.

Last edited:
I'd recommend checking out a Mortar. I bag a Recon Mortar. It's based on (is?) a beadless Gator. Unlike beadless Gators it's in regular production. It comes in Frontline-X plastic (similar to GStar) & Recon plastic (Champion). The most recent runs (not the 1st run) are all flat topped. The Mortar replaced my Champion Gator. The main reason was because its beadless. I've always had issues throwing beaded discs sidearm. It's my most used sidearm disc 300' & under. I think any beadless beefy mid will have some overlap with a Zone. The Mortar fits your criteria & is still worth a look.

That's good to know. A beadless Gator was the predecessor to my Zone and I knew about the Mortar, but had always heard they were domey. Where have you bought flat ones?

Is this verified? I have never seen anyone throw Firebirds over 400'. And throwing a Firebird only 30' shy of a max D driver is a bit strange.

Moose is more of a man than most on here when it comes to FH drives, he's verified it numerous times though it does seem absurd. A buddy of mine has parked a hole that is somewhere between 400 and 410, can't remember exactly. 12x firebird not a FAF firebird, but still a firebird nonetheless. I can definitely believe Moose throws them over 400

It just seems absurd to throw meathooks 420' but legit long flyers 450'. That separation is pretty much my firebird to teebird separation.

When put out that long a distance for FHs firebirds are some of the most beautiful fliers made. Flexed out they'll hold that line for ~3/4 the flight, then begin to fade out of that line, then fall to the ground. My buddy has hit 481 once with a distance driver but other than that maxes out a little less than 450 with the same disc on a good day, probably around 435 on average. He can put the firebird just past 400, maybe 415 is the longest I've seen. May seem odd but Moose's experience lines up pretty close to what I've seen

Last edited:
I've got a vid that has a raptor going 415 or so that I could put up. Pretty similar distance potential between the two.

And I can't throw it that far every time, and usually throw them between 350-400 shots on the course. But if your willing to throw goofy distance lines you can make the go pretty darn far.

I've got a vid that has a raptor going 415 or so that I could put up. Pretty similar distance potential between the two.

And I can't throw it that far every time, and usually throw them between 350-400 shots on the course. But if your willing to throw goofy distance lines you can make the go pretty darn far.

Can you identify why you aren't getting much separation between your chicken and max D drivers? Nose angle?

The way that I can get the most D is using my sidearm pitching motion. The Firbird is the disc that beats takes that angle and torque and uses it to power itself. For me to keep even fairly OS drivers going where I want them I have to change my release angle to one that has less overall power potential(at least that is how I feel it is happening). I have thrown discs 500+ but it's defiantly not reliable.

I use a neutron Volt for longer FH flicks than I can reach with my beloved Zone. I used a Trident for a while too, a bit more stable.

One more vote for the Trident. Settles in real nice between the zone and a Firebird/XXX/Fireball for me.

^^^I think the Thief's numbers are off. I'd give it a HSS of 1. And anyway...an HSS of 2 isn't what the OP is looking for given the list of discs they've been trying.

Tridents have been mentioned, but they're OOP. I'd go with a max weight Buzzz OS. My Glo Flx runs have been just as OS as the 2 Justices I've had a chance to throw. Flat topped liked the Zone, beadless, and fairly shallow rim.

Yep, my apologies. I still get confused sometimes about terms. I thought HSS was turn, which is zero but it actually means fade I guess, which makes sense because Thief is OS, especially in Lucid. My bad OP.

Yep, my apologies. I still get confused sometimes about terms. I thought HSS was turn, which is zero but it actually means fade I guess, which makes sense because Thief is OS, especially in Lucid. My bad OP.

No worries. And actually for future reference, HSS doesn't mean fade but rather resistance to turn. Fade is represented by LSS (low speed stability) as in when the disc slows down. They usually go together but not always.

No worries. And actually for future reference, HSS doesn't mean fade but rather resistance to turn. Fade is represented by LSS (low speed stability) as in when the disc slows down. They usually go together but not always.

To that, I would add: HSS and LSS (or LSF -- low speed fade) do not have to be linked at all. Think about all the great discs that have turn before a pronounced fade -- X/X/-1/3.

Eagle X, for example. More turn (less HSS) than a Teebird but MORE LSF. Orion LFs, Wraiths, Destroyers -- all have decent HST and plenty of LSF. And many of those discs develop more turn before they start losing fade.

Contrast those with X/X/0/2-3 discs, like the Teebird and PD that tend to lose fade before they develop turn.

Or discs like the Whale (chalk it up to V-Tech if you believe in such things) with very good HSS and very little LSF, right out of the box.

Wait, what was my point again?

Man I love those discs with true 0 HSS. You know those ones you can whale on with bad form and they still hold whatever line they are put on.

Random thought

Is there a disc that fits the role of a "longer Zone" for FH throwing? I've cycled through a bunch in my search but nothing has fit the bill. The most recent disappointment was the Matrix, which just doesn't have enough HSS despite MVP calling it "their most overstable yet". Too bad cuz it felt really good in the hand.

Factors involved in my love affair with the Zone:
- Speed 5-8
- Flat top
- Beadless
- HSS + OAT resistance
- Low profile
- Minimal glide
- Comfortable for FH

Rejects (for me) have also included the Gator, Verdict, Resistor, Justice, Spark (Opto and Recycled), Kaxe Z, Longbowman, and others I've probably forgotten. All have come up short on at least one of those aspects. I'm thinking hard about trying a Tyrant, I hate pink though =( Any other suggestions?
XXX....search no more

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk