• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Longer Zone?

Trident, Blaze, Banshee, and XXX are all good suggestions. The blaze and trident are kind of hybrid fast-midrange/slow-fairways, and the banshee and XXX are true fairway drivers. For true midranges, I'd suggest the Demon, BuzzzOS, or Drone.

You are searching for a needle in a haystack at this point given the discs you have tried and disliked.

Form sounds a little funky. Work angles and be happy.

I would ask why the Justice didn't make the cut. But you could also try; XXX, Trident, Resistor. The Tyrant is not OS enough for what your describing.

Justice has a pretty significant bead, so just like the Harp it'll hook on my finger from time to time. I may give the Trident another go sometime, mine was GL and broke in too quickly so maybe Opto would work out better.

You've thrown the Tyrant? In the videos I saw it seemed pretty stable on a full rip, and the fade looked reasonable unlike a XXX or the like.

What's the problem with the Opto Spark tho? It's super flat and overstable, very comfortable in the hand etc

Justice has a pretty significant bead, so just like the Harp it'll hook on my finger from time to time. I may give the Trident another go sometime, mine was GL and broke in too quickly so maybe Opto would work out better.

You've thrown the Tyrant? In the videos I saw it seemed pretty stable on a full rip, and the fade looked reasonable unlike a XXX or the like.

I have 2 puddle topped Tyrants, which by all accounts are the most OS iteration. But I get a lot of turn out of them of full power FH rips. BH it's a mellow turn with reliable fade, but if I go FH I need to give it hyzer.

the fade looked reasonable unlike a XXX or the like.

the fade on a XXX is reasonable? news to me! it's supposed to be ridiculously overstable, and the GLs that I threw were just that - never finishing right (unless it was a FH shot)

What other discs do you bag regularly? Is your zone used as a very OS putter/mid for upshots and drives?

Champ Banshee fills this spot in my bag. If you're really serious about needing one that's flat look for the older ones (PFN and especially those stamped "Distance Driver" rather than fairway driver). However, even new stock banshees are still plenty OS, and the dome doesn't make them too glidey unless you're looking at a serious headwind situation (in which case you want to reach for the FAF FB anyway).

And speaking of the FAF FB, have you considered one for the role you're talking about? They seem to fit all of your criteria except the FB is a speed 9, so just outside the specified range. I originally got into throwing zones because it's like speed 3 firebird...so reversing that anecdote, the Firebird might be the "longer zone" that you're looking for.

Depending on HOW much 'longer' you're looking for. Instincts say A2 would be a little faster and still plenty OS, or a BuzzzOS will have that stability but faster. A Harp is about the same so i'd say prodigy A2 or a Buzzz OS - just from what I know

What's the problem with the Opto Spark tho? It's super flat and overstable, very comfortable in the hand etc

The opto I had suffered from the same thing Feldberg griped about, more overstable than advertised to the point where it was almost utility.

I was pumped when I saw they were going to mellow it out, like "wow that's awesome, wonder how they'll do that...oh, by giving it a small dome...:(". Maybe the newer runs of Opto will be better suited?

I have 2 puddle topped Tyrants, which by all accounts are the most OS iteration. But I get a lot of turn out of them of full power FH rips. BH it's a mellow turn with reliable fade, but if I go FH I need to give it hyzer.

Damn, that's too bad. What's you power level, so I know for reference?

What other discs do you bag regularly? Is your zone used as a very OS putter/mid for upshots and drives?
Yep, that's exactly what I use it for. On FH shots this is my current lineup for straight, right finishing throws.

Ti FLX Zone: 60 - 230ish
MF Thunderbird - 275-325
S-Line DD - 325+
Star Destroyer - full power

This sounds like a case of trying to find a miracle disc to solve an issue.

Your needs aren't unique, just pick up a spark, firebird, banshee, xxx, etc and make it work.

Moonshine Spark or a barely not FAF - smooth domed Firebird are both great os options to go with a zone.

I throw Champ Firebirds up to 420 if that helps, Apes over 450 at times.

Alright, well I...don't haha. How far would you say a Tyrant can go without any turn kicking in? I'll only throw the Zone with about 80% power at max, so I could do the same for the Tyrant.

I throw Champ Firebirds up to 420 if that helps, Apes over 450 at times.

Is this verified? I have never seen anyone throw Firebirds over 400'. And throwing a Firebird only 30' shy of a max D driver is a bit strange.