• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Looking to try out Gateway Discs.Suggestions?

StarFirebird

Banned
I'm looking to make a new bag.

For the longest time I've used nothing but Innova stuff,with the rare occasional Wizard in the bag.I'm just bored with my Innova stuff and would like to try out Gateway for fun.

I could use some help on what Gateway discs would be great to get and which ones I should stay away from.I'm mainly wanting the versatility I Have in my Innova bag(Wind Stable,Stable,Straight and Turnover Discs)

Any help on what to get is greatly appreciated. :thmbup:

the scout is decent for wind if you use a buzzz it's similar to a more stable version of that. I used the apache it's kind of like a valk but super domey.

the scout is decent for wind if you use a buzzz it's similar to a more stable version of that. I used the apache it's kind of like a valk but super domey.

So the Scout would be equal to a Roc? and the Apache is like a Valkyrie.That's good to know as I throw Rocs and Valkyrie's.

So the Scout would be equal to a Roc? and the Apache is like a Valkyrie.That's good to know as I throw Rocs and Valkyrie's.

the scout has the rim like a buzzz. So it's not really like a Roc. It's more like a stabler version of a mako(i think that's like a roc). More or less the putters are the bread and butters for this company, the rest doesn't really get thrown much. I would recommend trying another company if you are sick of innova. Maybe Discraft, MVP, Lat 64, or Westside.

The karma is awesome. Its like the mako. Its the very straight. I heard great things about the element also but haven't used myself

the scout has the rim like a buzzz. So it's not really like a Roc. It's more like a stabler version of a mako(i think that's like a roc). More or less the putters are the bread and butters for this company, the rest doesn't really get thrown much. I would recommend trying another company if you are sick of innova. Maybe Discraft, MVP, Lat 64, or Westside.

Ok so a beat up Roc then.

Thanks for the info.

Gateway is really producing sub-par plastic compared to basically every other manufacturer. My suggestion is to just try Discraft or Lat/Westside...

Sorry if that's not that helpful!

Gateway is really producing sub-par plastic compared to basically every other manufacturer. My suggestion is to just try Discraft or Lat/Westside...

Sorry if that's not that helpful!

So the Evolution Pro Line Plastic isn't that good?

I've got an old Wizard that is Evolution Plastic that I use to throw off the Tee.I beat it up quite a bit and still would throw like a pretty new Wizard.

Is it just the more recent plastic that is not so good?

I love my HPP Evo Element. Great mid-range that has some shaping ability. Can be flexed for long distance but still stays straight enough for technical shots.

I disagree with the generalization that Gateway has sub-par plastic but I only use their putters and evo mid.

The Apache, spirit, and blaze are probably gateway's best drivers. The apache is a decent stable long fairway driver, the spirit is a very overstable driver, and the blaze is a really good overstable fast mid/short fairway. The problem with the drivers is that they don't really make any really versatile discs, and most of them are a lot more overstable than advertised.

The element, karma, and demon are really good midrange discs, but people talk about those all the time. The putters are no secret, all of them are good and they are all worth throwing.

Is it just the more recent plastic that is not so good?

Nah, it's just that there is a fairly high level of competition out there and Gateway isn't doing anything interesting. Latitude's plastic is incredibly sexy, MVP has the Gyro, Innova is making Blizzard/Starlite, Discraft is making Ti.

Gateway still makes decent discs, they just have no wow factor at all.

I love my HPP Evo Element. Great mid-range that has some shaping ability. Can be flexed for long distance but still stays straight enough for technical shots.

I disagree with the generalization that Gateway has sub-par plastic but I only use their putters and evo mid.

No wonder the guy I play with likes his Element.

Sounds like a pretty nice disc.

I've been looking at the flight chart I posted and I've seen nothing that would fly like a Roadrunner.Maybe I won't be able to go full fledged Gateway bag or I could try to learn forehand again and get me a Speed Demon or Spirit.

The Apache, spirit, and blaze are probably gateway's best drivers. The apache is a decent stable long fairway driver, the spirit is a very overstable driver, and the blaze is a really good overstable fast mid/short fairway. The problem with the drivers is that they don't really make any really versatile discs, and most of them are a lot more overstable than advertised.

The element, karma, and demon are really good midrange discs, but people talk about those all the time. The putters are no secret, all of them are good and they are all worth throwing.

Thanks for the info.

I could tell by looking at their flight chart that their discs aren't very versatile.Their biggest variation looks to be in the glide of the disc.

I'm a big fan of the Wizard.I haven't thrown them in a while due to my KC Pro's,but I'm slowly swaying back to them.

Nah, it's just that there is a fairly high level of competition out there and Gateway isn't doing anything interesting. Latitude's plastic is incredibly sexy, MVP has the Gyro, Innova is making Blizzard/Starlite, Discraft is making Ti.

Gateway still makes decent discs, they just have no wow factor at all.

I seen that.

Just the 2 plastics is all they make it seems.Sure Grip and Evo HPP.Maybe simpler is better?

If you're going gateway, you'll need to get good at putter and midrange driving and use precision over big D. If you just want to get away from Innova and use different discs than the majority of players, you could fill in a lot of the holes in Gateway's lineup (namely a stable/understable fairway driver) by also bagging a Vibram Trak. It's a wonderful disc and the grip on Vibram discs is unparalleled.

If you're going gateway, you'll need to get good at putter and midrange driving and use precision over big D. If you just want to get away from Innova and use different discs than the majority of players, you could fill in a lot of the holes in Gateway's lineup (namely a stable/understable fairway driver) by also bagging a Vibram Trak. It's a wonderful disc and the grip on Vibram discs is unparalleled.

That's exactly what I'm going for.

I'm not a big Tourney Player,but I want to make my Putter and Midrange Driving better and have more precision.

A Vibram Trak you say?I may be able to get one cheap at the local shop.They have been having trouble getting rid of these and I think they are now at a discount.

I love Evolution HPP, as far as a nice combo between grip and durability, it's right behind Opto for me.

I love my Apache, the Sabre is a great disc and I carry two Slayers that are pretty versatile high speed drivers that just feel good to me. I thought the Opto Halo was going to take that spot in my bag, but the Slayers are still holding the Halo off.

That's exactly what I'm going for.

I'm not a big Tourney Player,but I want to make my Putter and Midrange Driving better and have more precision.

A Vibram Trak you say?I may be able to get one cheap at the local shop.They have been having trouble getting rid of these and I think they are now at a discount.

Just make sure you keep an eye on it. The Vibram color scheme tends to blend into the ground very easily. On the plus side, they're indestructible so you won't have to worry about it wearing out. If you play a lot of wooded courses you won't need the big D discs. My home course is heavily wooded http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=336
and I shoot my best when using just a putter and the trak.

Since you throw Roc you'll probably stick with the Wizard but you might want to check out the Magic as well. Great putter!

I'll also second the Trak - it's become my go to driver for tight wooded shots. It is indestructable and the grip is outstanding.

I love Evolution HPP, as far as a nice combo between grip and durability, it's right behind Opto for me.

I love my Apache, the Sabre is a great disc and I carry two Slayers that are pretty versatile high speed drivers that just feel good to me. I thought the Opto Halo was going to take that spot in my bag, but the Slayers are still holding the Halo off.

Nice! Thanks for the info man.

I may get one of the Slayers just because I listen to the band Slayer. :D

Just make sure you keep an eye on it. The Vibram color scheme tends to blend into the ground very easily. On the plus side, they're indestructible so you won't have to worry about it wearing out. If you play a lot of wooded courses you won't need the big D discs. My home course is heavily wooded http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=336
and I shoot my best when using just a putter and the trak.

Both courses I play at are heavily wooded with a few holes that call for big D.I've found that when I do my Rocs and Aviars only rounds I'm only 4/5 strokes behind my regular rounds.This is mainly due to accuracy issues.

Since you throw Roc you'll probably stick with the Wizard but you might want to check out the Magic as well. Great putter!

I'll also second the Trak - it's become my go to driver for tight wooded shots. It is indestructable and the grip is outstanding.

I've never tried a Magic,but I've heard great things about it.

Is it beadless or beaded?I've putted with the beadless Aviars but never liked them.On the other hand the Wizards are beaded,but putt much much different than the KC Pro Aviars.