• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Man, I do need an overstable midrange!

WhippitX or Blaze. Both a very overstable, super wind resistant, and, as Scoot_er said, don't go straight when they should be fading.

Get a Star Monster. You will be suprised how overstable that disc is. I use mine as a overstable midrange.

I haven't seen you throw or faced the winds that you have but if you can't trust a new, max weight Z Wasp to hold up in a headwind, then you should step up to a driver. I don't know what specific mold would work best for you but from my forehanding experience, the Z Wasp handles torque better than a Roc, Sentinel, Spider, or Panther while still retaining a good amount of glide. The Drone is definitely an overstable pig but I found it hard to get it past 200-250' without a lot of space to make it work.

Have you tried flat top Rocs? They seem the most like a Wasp of the Roc family.

Actually got my hands over a new Champion USDGC 06 Roc. Feels nice to throw but ain't that overstable as I thought they would be.
Felt on a Sentinel also, but didn't like the grip :(

Maybe I'll have to get an Gator or Drone to get the works done, what's the different between these two?

Or maybe I should just throw my Bulldog in headwinds?, will atleast keeps the molds down

latitude said:
Or maybe I should just throw my Bulldog in headwinds?, will atleast keeps the molds down

The bulldog is nice but pretty slow, it wont penetrate the wind very well even if it does hold up stability wise.

The drone is even more overstable and less glidey than a gator so you may not like that either.

If its a strong headwind I usually disc up. Like if its a 280-300 foot shot where i'd normally throw a buzzz, i'll throw a predator because its very reliable in almost any headwind.

what length of shots did you have in mind for what you are looking for? IMO Gators and drones make good approach discs in a strong wind but overstable drivers perform a lot better from further out.

I have thrown most of the discs mentioned above:

Demon
Element X
Sentinel
Drone

Currently, I have a Sirius Sentinel as my overstable midrange and have liked its ability to fight the wind. I would say the Element X has more "glide," but the Sentinel has been more consistent for me. I like the demon as well, but it has very little glide in my experience - I throw it one very windy days on holes that I would drive with my putter on a calm day. At the end of it's flight, it dive bombs to the left.

Buddy of mine throws a Star Gator and it can be a pig! Not much glide. 200-225 feet is about as good as it gets.

I would go with the Q Sentinel or Glow Roc, if not the Gator.

Aaron_D said:
dx roc into headwinds all day. you dont need anything more stable.
Rocs are definitely stable into headwinds, and in normal headwind conditions they are a great choice. Having acknowledged that, there are still some short and tight dogleg lines (often with a ceiling) where I find even a new max weight Roc won't turn the corner hard enough or skip hard enough, and a Predator class disc is too long. These are the situations where I find myself thinking about carrying something like a Gator or a Whippet. I think there is a genuine niche for these type of discs, and I occasionally think I might have a hole in my bag since I don't carry anything like them.

The disc selection and overlap articles that drive the general philosophy on DGR don't really address this. I think it's mainly because this is a specialized niche that most people don't really have a need for until progressing well beyond the initial stages of the throwing curve, so it's a little beyond the spectrum of what something like the disc overlap article is trying to accomplish.

I agree with the notion to disc up, but an alternative to the pred would be a Reaper, they are slower speed drivers- stability is there, to me it feels like a TX in hand. I love reapers- they are my distance into headwind when I fear my Orc will get flippy. my FLX pred seems to stall out faster than my Reaper. but I also will throw my reaper on short hyzers when there is huge headwind just because it is super easy to control.

but then again- my FLX pred is a super pig. way more overstable than any of the Z preds I used to throw.... dont know why that is. probably the complete lack of dome.

otherwise, I used to throw a pro-D drone, it was as advertised, but the usefulness wasn't really there. if I throw my Z wasp with significant amount of hyzer it would follow the same line into any headwind as a Drone. granted, the Wasp is my go-to midrange and probably all-time favorite disc, I know exactly how it will fly in almost any condition. I dont know exactly what to tell you- you just have to go out and get a D drone and DX gator- take your rocs and wasps out and throw them into headwind and practice different lines. you'll come up with something.

i like scooter's saying "fade when it should". for me a roc is a great headwind/overstable midrange... but like someone else said, it doesn't always cut the dogleg hard enough, and it is a little more touchy in terms of when it will fade than a gator or monster or pred or something that's more of overstable disc classification.

all that being said i still don't personally see the need for an overstable mid. i love throwing an overstable driver for up shots, even. i think it's totally the way to go... but that's just my opinion.

between my pro rhyno, new roc, and pred i feel like i have all my overstable needs taken care of.