• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Man, I do need an overstable midrange!

i've found flat top rocs will hold a hella hyzer.....and just turn hard left :).....

Eric O said:
Aaron_D said:
dx roc into headwinds all day. you dont need anything more stable.
Rocs are definitely stable into headwinds, and in normal headwind conditions they are a great choice. Having acknowledged that, there are still some short and tight dogleg lines (often with a ceiling) where I find even a new max weight Roc won't turn the corner hard enough or skip hard enough, and a Predator class disc is too long. These are the situations where I find myself thinking about carrying something like a Gator or a Whippet. I think there is a genuine niche for these type of discs, and I occasionally think I might have a hole in my bag since I don't carry anything like them.

The disc selection and overlap articles that drive the general philosophy on DGR don't really address this. I think it's mainly because this is a specialized niche that most people don't really have a need for until progressing well beyond the initial stages of the throwing curve, so it's a little beyond the spectrum of what something like the disc overlap article is trying to accomplish.

I carry a max weight champ roc in addition to my DX's for all the reasons you just mentioned. Still the same mold, much much more stable.

Same here, those champion ranchos are ridiculous. It requires a good headwind to turn it over, and I'm just guessing cuz I haven't done it yet. The things are actually hard to keep from not skipping......

Probably the only reason I haven't touched the pig yet. FLX Drones are money too.

Z Wasps are pigs...when thrown without torquing them over. Perhaps some technique adjustment may be in order?

Old thread revival :)
I bought a couple new Z wasps in max weight and I don't think they are as hss as they used to be. The two I just got are very straight out of the box with a little fade at the end.
Strange.
The Demon is very overstable but they don't go very far. The Drone is a little longer. When you want to get a disc more overstable then the Z Wasp you might want to bump up the speed as well so you get about the same distance. I like the E Blaze for that shot because it is slower then a lot of fairway drivers so you don't have to take a lot off of it. I think it's kind of like a Predator Jr.

Innova's website said:
About the Spider
The Spider is a mid-range disc that works for hyzer, straight and turnover throws. Throw it with the nose up and the Spider will turn left, with the nose down it will turn right. The Spider is a low speed predictable disc that makes a great approach disc. Excellent for all skill levels and players who prefer a smaller diameter disc.

Innova's website said:
a mid-range disc that works for hyzer, straight and turnover throws. Throw it with the nose up and the Spider will turn left, with the nose down it will turn right.
That applies to any midrange worth throwing.

I consider the Spider evenly stable, not overstable. The ones I'v e seen have actually been understable but those are apparent anomalies.

You can put any evenly stable disc on a hyzer line but that doesn't make it overstable.

marmoset said:
I consider the Spider evenly stable, not overstable. The ones I'v e seen have actually been understable but those are apparent anomalies.

You can put any evenly stable disc on a hyzer line but that doesn't make it overstable.

I dunno, my roommate's spider i've thrown is a flippy POS... :lol: maybe that was another anomaly.

arsenal of new-->beat rocs please 8)

The only Spider I've thrown was a 180g Champ Spider. It was pretty much dead nuts straight, no doubt about it.

Eric O said:
The only Spider I've thrown was a 180g Champ Spider. It was pretty much dead nuts straight, no doubt about it.

I didn't think they were big enough to be legal to 180g?

Spiders have a diameter of 21.2cm, so using the PDGA approved formula
diameter X magic number (8.3) = max legal weight for the disc

21.2cm X 8.3g = 175.96g is the max weight for this disc.

Here is a link to a cheat sheet; it has all the information for PDGA approved discs including diameter, max weight, rim depth, rim width, etc.