• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Massive thread containing every possible 3-disc combination for your review

My first disc was a 170 dx shark, which I would still use if I hadn't lost it. Next I bought a dx leopard, and liked it pretty well. It flew straight and decently far. It eventually got to beat up to use though. I can't really say what putter to use. Think it just comes down to picking one and sticking with it.

The Polecat is good for straight putts, but if you need other shots, try a Magnet putter.

Also I would suggest a Valkyrie for a driver and a Coyote for a mid

Being somewhat of a newb, sticking to Innova, if you could carry any three discs my suggestion would be;

Driver: Leopard or Eagle
Mid-Range: Panther or Skeeter
Putter: Whatever feels comfortable in your hand, but would definatly say a putter with a shallower lip

Stay away from Distance Drivers until you can control your drives. When you gain the arm strength and proper mechanics, you will gain most with a Distance Driver(which at that point I would recommend a Valkyrie to start). Mid-Ranges and Putters are more of a personal preference than anything. Adam hits it on the head with the Putter. Stick to a single putter, no matter what it is. When you start carrying a bag with 14 discs in it, 9-10 will be Distance/Fairway Drivers, 3-4 will be mids, and you'll probably still be carrying 1 putter.

Last edited:
Being somewhat of a newb, sticking to Innova, if you could carry any three discs my suggestion would be;

Driver: Leopard or Eagle
Mid-Range: Panther or Skeeter
Putter: Whatever feels comfortable in your hand, but would definatly say a putter with a shallower lip

Stay away from Distance Drivers until you can control your drives. When you gain the arm strength and proper mechanics, you will gain most with a Distance Driver(which at that point I would recommend a Valkyrie to start). Mid-Ranges and Putters are more of a personal preference than anything. Adam hits it on the head with the Putter. Stick to a single putter, no matter what it is. When you start carrying a bag with 14 discs in it, 9-10 will be Distance/Fairway Drivers, 3-4 will be mids, and you'll probably still be carrying 1 putter.

I agree that putting with one putter is a really good idea, especially for a beginner, but a lot of experienced players find that other putters are better for various approaches and shorter drives than the one they actually like to putt with.

My bag of 20 has 6 putters and 6 mids in it currently.

that would drive me insane. i just try to keep it to 2 of the same kind but one light and one heavy for wind. whatever works, works.

I only putt with one (and the identical backup), the other four are just for approaches and drives (basically short midrange discs). I putt with a floppy putter, but when I'm throwing I like a stiffer plastic.

The Avenger is too fast for someone who's throwing as far as you and not nearly as good at differnt lines as the Cyclone. The Wolf and Polecat are kid of flippy and crappy so while they might work now, you'll grow out of them quickly and find them useless in most wind situations.

I like the honesty in posts like this. It has been a concern of mine that I've been throwing too fast of discs without having the arm speed and snap to maximize them. I was at a football field yesterday throwing just to see how far drives go. I was hitting 270 consistently with ok accuracy. With how you guys are talking, it seems like my Avenger is for people who are hitting 400. Maybe it's a driver that is a step ahead of where I'm at right now.

I'm hearing lots about a Champ Leopard and Skeeter for midrange. Valkryie popped up a few times too for a new driver.

A question for you all: does "flipping" happen when you start to overthrow slower drivers? (This being the point when you're ready for a faster disc?)

I've also been trying to wrap my mind around what exactly the differences between an overstable and understable driver are... or what is different about each. I know this is an elementary question, but it is important to me as I try to understand what kind of driver(s) will be better suited for me.

You guys rock... keep up the brutal honesty... I'm seriously an excited beginner. Hold nothing back. :)

I carry 5 Wizards in a bag of ~20. I carry a heavy new one and a heavy beat one for drives, a mid weight new to beat one for approaches, a light, stiff one for most putts and a light softer one for when it's nice to have a softer putter. Most of your shots will be with a putter, it kind of makes sense to carry more of them.

The Three Disc Tournament

We are having a mini tournament this Saturday. The course is the easiest in Houston,so to make things interesting, they are making a rule that you can only have three discs. A driver, a mid, and a putter. I got the mid and putter covered, but since I carry 7 drivers, I am having trouble. Which ones would you guys take , and what would you carry for this tournament? Here are my choices:

Champ Viking

Star SL

Pro Wraith

Elite X Avenger

Star Wraith

The first round the short tees are between 220-350

The second round the long tees are 260-420.

As far as mid goes I am taking my Z Buzz, and my Soft Magnet for the putter.

Personally, I would take one that I can make go left or right, and that will work if I need to throw a forehand or overhand shot. Of your list, the viking sounds like a decent choice, I'd probably go with a teebird or eagle out of my own bag.

If you have time, go play the course with each one of those drivers, and see which one works for the most holes and won't get you into any trouble.

Cant argue with your mid or putter. For driver, I would say the Viking. I havent thrown it but I would hazard to guess that it would be much easier to shape different shots with than a Wraith or Avenger if you are not throwing ~ 350'. Might be able to manage with the SL but I just think the Viking would be the best bet.

I agree with mashnut, it would be teebird for me. Maybe the SL or the pro wraith or the viking. Great choice on the buzzz- as much as I respect Rocs and their throwers, I think a buzzz is more versatile.

I also have to somewhat agree with Mashnut. Teebird would be my 2nd choice after a Leopard.

Yea, I am kind of leaning towards the Viking, because it will handle being thrown into the wind, or a tail wind, and I can make it turn over since its more beat in than the SL, but it will also hold a hyzer pretty well also.

Yea, I am kind of leaning towards the Viking, because it will handle being thrown into the wind, or a tail wind, and I can make it turn over since its more beat in than the SL, but it will also hold a hyzer pretty well also.

Yeah, viking sounds like the best choice then.

But I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. You can probably throw the buzzz almost as far as the viking, so maybe you should move up to a big D driver and use the buzzz to drive when that isn't appropriate. I'm pretty sure ya'll have some wide open spaces out in H-town.

Yeah, viking sounds like the best choice then.

But I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. You can probably throw the buzzz almost as far as the viking, so maybe you should move up to a big D driver and use the buzzz to drive when that isn't appropriate. I'm pretty sure ya'll have some wide open spaces out in H-town.

I can only throw my Buzz about 220, and I can throw my Viking 275-300.

3 discs is too lenient.

I know you are mostly kidding (I think) but I cannot throw my putter (soft banger gt) at all other than putting and an occasional roller, so that really sucks for me on 3-4 disc rounds, which I happen to play alot. But that banger is money and I am fortunate enough to be its vessel, plus it is stupid to play a round without using your usual putter (unless the point is to try a new putter) so I'm stuck with basically one less disc. The funny thing is I will often also carry a rhyno and/or aviar for short drives and approaches, which is most of my home course.

I can only throw my Buzz about 220, and I can throw my Viking 275-300.

Sounds like Viking is the winner. I just checked a flight chart- I didn't realize how much more range the viking has over the buzzz. The difference in range of a Viking and your other drivers is much less than the difference between the buzzz and viking, so the viking is a good choice to cover the whole spectrum, if that makes any sense at all.

The more I read you Houston guys' posts the more I want to come play there- I may try to come up for a day when I'm in Austin this X-mas, I might PM you for advice or to play a round if i do.

Personally, I would take one that I can make go left or right, and that will work if I need to throw a forehand or overhand shot. Of your list, the viking sounds like a decent choice, I'd probably go with a teebird or eagle out of my own bag.

If you have time, go play the course with each one of those drivers, and see which one works for the most holes and won't get you into any trouble.

Mashnut nailed it. Exactly what I would have said, including his choices for drivers :D