• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maxing out @ 300ft...

This is just a guess, but I'd say somewhere around their most extended point, would be right around 3 o'clock. But, again this is just an assumption, and we all know what those make!

Quick timing question: I get that you tighten up your forearm, wrist and grip at position 5 in Keltik's drawing (right? seems to work for me). Basically the instant before the hit.

However, I don't know when to tense up and put power into the elbow/upper arm. I'm thinking position 3. I'm not sure if this is part of what stops the elbow, a result of it, or unrelated.

Or does the upper arm get tensed up later, like right before tightening up the forearm at either position 5 or somewhere between 4 and 5?

I feel like I'm on the verge of smashy smashy, and this is part of it.

Parks said:
Quick timing question: I get that you tighten up your forearm, wrist and grip at position 5 in Keltik's drawing (right? seems to work for me). Basically the instant before the hit.

However, I don't know when to tense up and put power into the elbow/upper arm. I'm thinking position 3. I'm not sure if this is part of what stops the elbow, a result of it, or unrelated.

Or does the upper arm get tensed up later, like right before tightening up the forearm at either position 5 or somewhere between 4 and 5?

I feel like I'm on the verge of smashy smashy, and this is part of it.

Right after 3, between 4 and 5. This looks to be when you should be actively pulling hard and fast.

Blake_T said:
first try and just snap the towel.

gradually add more and more while still being able to get the towel to snap correctly.

Would anybody be interested in posting video of snapping the towel correctly with a little something on it? I can snap the towel, but if I try to do anything that resembles my actual throw it's just a big old towel sweep.

Then you're not doing it correctly. Even with a Run up, you can basically snap the towel just as if you're throwing a disc. If you're going through your throw motion, and the towel flops around and doesn't snap. Then you're basically not pulling through correctly.

The easiest way I can explain it and make sense to myself. If I try to tense up my hand or arm, as I pull back and start my pull through too soon, usually the towel will fly around and usually end up hitting me in the face as I try to pull through. Basically meaning your'e trying to start your acceleration in your pull through too soon. But, if you keep your hand and arm loose just until you pull through to the hit. The towel will fly out in a straight line.

You're still "pulling" it through, but your arm and hand are still loose as pull into the pec, from there you start your true acceleration, and you follow that through to the hit. From there the disc (towel) will fling out straight (come by your chest in a straight line, continuing out into a straight line, and snap.) I hope this makes some sense. Cause, it actually works for me.

*Edit* If this isn't right, cause I'm not really that good at the mechanics, and really explaining it well. Those that know better, tell me to shut up, cause I'd rather you do that then let others get wrong info here. This is just how I interpret it, and it seems to work for me, but I know I'm still not doing it 100% of the time when I actually throw a disc. But, I'm working on getting my acceleration in the right spot, to get more from my power.*Edit*

Sounds good to me Lithicon.

Not that I am all that experienced :lol:, but that is exactly what I am doing. And, if 'towel snapping' becomes a major sport that would be a technical way to explain how to do it. :D

When you do the motion you described that's when you will get the increased hand spring or snap on the disc. Blake describes it in his distance article when he is trying to show you what snap feels like.

EDIT: I thought of a good indicator if you are tensing and pulling to early. I find that If I try to accelerate as fast as possible too soon that my follow-through won't occur. My arm just kinda stops after the disc is released. But, If I accelerate very late there isn't a choice in whether I follow-through or not. Hope that made sense.

Yeah, it does make sense to kind of feel more of a hand spring through that, cause the towel forces you to tighten to hold on. That is one way to tell also if you accelerate too early with the pull through that the follow through doesn't seem as notable. And like I said, trying to accelerate early always caused the towel to slap me in the face. :lol:

Lithicon said:
Then you're not doing it correctly. Even with a Run up, you can basically snap the towel just as if you're throwing a disc. If you're going through your throw motion, and the towel flops around and doesn't snap. Then you're basically not pulling through correctly.

Make no mistake, I know that I am not doing it correctly. <Hangs head in shame>

josser said:
Lithicon said:

Make no mistake, I know that I am not doing it correctly. <Hangs head in shame>

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make you look like a fool or anything for asking for clarification. Because, you don't learn unless you ask questions. But, I just find it that sometimes others have to be told their doing things incorrectly, before they'll evaluate how to do it correctly again. But, you obviously knew that or you wouldn't have asked for help, and I commend you for that. And, as I said I know I don't do it correctly all the time with an actual disc in my hand. But, I haven't been doing it in this form exactly, which is why I'm here in the first place. Because I'm learning along side of most of you. I had the start of it, but wrong timing, and such has been pointed out by Blake and others throughout these threads. I plateaued myself, because I've not been following this correctly. Repetition correctly, and, I'm sure I'll get it back. All in all, I commend anyone for asking questions, and really wanting to learn.

Lithicon said:
Sorry, I wasn't trying to make you look like a fool or anything for asking for clarification.

I didn't at all think that you were trying to make me look like a fool. I was basically nodding my head in agreement that I am not doing it right.

This is one of my favorite threads ever by the way!

josser said:
Blake_T said:
first try and just snap the towel.

gradually add more and more while still being able to get the towel to snap correctly.

I can snap the towel, but if I try to do anything that resembles my actual throw it's just a big old towel sweep.

Okay. First. Are you trying to snap the towel like you would snap it normally? If so, don't try and incorporate that into a throw. You want the loose arm, wrist, etc. but it's not the same motion. You stop and pull back to snap a towel normally. When you're trying to get the towel to snap from a disc throw the towel is popping because it's gone out so fast and reached the end of it's length, like a whip uncoiling. With your disc throw, you create all the power in your throw and you follow through, with a normal towel pop, you just bring your hand back to create that power.

If the towel is swooping, then it's one of two things, either the motion (as I mentioned above) or you are not keeping the towel in close to your chest. Try holding the towel in the right pec position and do your normal x-step (or whatever) and then throw from the right pec, accelerate with a loose arm and imagine you are going to hit somebody with your elbow that is standing where you want to aim. When you "hit" them, your elbow should stop briefly and throw your lower arm out. As that happens, pull hard and fast toward that imaginary person you just elbowed.

If you can work in opening your wrist/extending your wrist from neutral to about 1/2" past neutral, then you'll get more pop. If you accelerate late, like the other guys said, you will follow through and you should hear the pop.

Thanks BU, I was trying to figure out how I could incorporate the normal towel snapping motion into my throw and couldn't see how that would work. You cleared up my confusion! Time for some fun in my basement to see what I can do.

I've been doing this more with a towel lately, just because of me really trying to gather my thoughts so I know what to put down on here when I'm explaining things. And, man it's really hard to do consistently. I've had some really hard snaps though, and I know I'm not translating this into my actual throw with a disc as much as I should be doing. It's harder for me to translate it over, I think. And, when you're doing it wrong, you arm starts to hurt. :lol:

Lithicon said:
I've been doing this more with a towel lately, just because of me really trying to gather my thoughts so I know what to put down on here when I'm explaining things. And, man it's really hard to do consistently. I've had some really hard snaps though, and I know I'm not translating this into my actual throw with a disc as much as I should be doing. It's harder for me to translate it over, I think. And, when you're doing it wrong, you arm starts to hurt. :lol:

If I do it a lot, it makes all the blood rush to my fingers and that hurts pretty quickly... think super pins and needles.

Well, that usually happens when I get a really hard snap on my drives if I haven't been doing it correctly for a while. But, once I get use to it again, it doesn't really happen.

This is mostly from doing the elbow stab motion and pulling through by it's self, without everything else. Heh, makes the muscle sore in my arm.

If I do it a lot, it makes all the blood rush to my fingers and that hurts pretty quickly... think super pins and needles.

this usually = hyper extending the elbow = sign of mistiming.

Any comment on this, Blake or Beato?

Blake_T said:

this usually = hyper extending the elbow = sign of mistiming.

Mistiming as in waiting too long to do the post elbow-chop rotation?

Latest posts