• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] McBeth's next signature disc speculation.

what should mcbeth's next signature disc be?

• Nova

Votes: 88 29.7%
  • Star Teebird

Votes: 19 6.4%
  • Mako3

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Champion Groove

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Champion Gator

Votes: 13 4.4%
  • Firebird3

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • McPro Aviar (regular production)

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Star Destroyer

Votes: 78 26.4%
  • Beast

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Champ Firebird

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Champ Teebird

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • PD

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Colt

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Xcaliber

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Champion Metalflake Polecat

Votes: 26 8.8%

• Total voters
If Innova starts making a McBeth Destroyer, why do they HAVE to stop making the Jenkins Destroyer? There are more than one signature Aviars, why can't there be more than one signature Destroyers?

In fact, why does Innova HAVE to do anything, besides make as much money as they can?

Thy should make it the Groove, resuscitate those sales. nOObs will go nuts!

This is a fantastic idea. McBeth would have to have a great sense of humor, though. He is on record here saying he liked the disc, although it felt more like a case of him being a good company guy rather than him offering a sincere endorsement. I'm pretty sure he doesn't carry one in his bag.

But I also hear that the Groove's sales don't need much help. It's just another in the never-ending series of mysteries surrounding this kooky disc.

If Innova starts making a McBeth Destroyer, why do they HAVE to stop making the Jenkins Destroyer? There are more than one signature Aviars, why can't there be more than one signature Destroyers?

In fact, why does Innova HAVE to do anything, besides make as much money as they can?

I think usually there is only one regular production stamp for a disc in a given plastic at any one time. We're talking the regular model of the disc sold in normal retail stores. There are also tour series discs such as the McPro Aviar or the Avery Jenkins Star TeeBird, but those aren't regular production discs, and they usually aren't sold through normal retail channels. So what we are talking about here is McBeth getting his signature line on the regular production stamp of a disc (which means he gets royalties for ALL sales of that disc). He already has his signature on the stamp of the Roc3, the Thunderbird, and the Krait. I think he gets a higher royalty rate per disc for the tour series discs (like McPro Aviars), but probably more money overall from the signature on the regular production discs since they sell a LOT more through retail channels.

Also, Innova HAS to do whatever is in McBeth's contract, so if it's in his contract that he gets a signature disc for every world championship then that's what they will do. Also, given that McBeth sells more Innova discs than just about any other pro they've got, they really WANT to keep him happy and will do most anything within reason to do so. Keeping McBeth as a sponsored pro WILL make Innova more money in the long run, even if they pay him more in royalties to do so.

hugheshilton and sjberry2017

In his 2012 ITB, he says Shark but pulls out what looks to be a Champion disc. Shark's only come in DX and Star plastics which leads me to believe it's a Shark3.

It's around the 0:55 mark of the video - https://youtu.be/CgST7iawv_s

Fair enough, I stand corrected. In 2012 he had a Shark3 in the bag. However, he also had a lot of other discs in the bag that he hasn't had in there for years such as a DX Aviar, DX Roc, KC Pro Rocs, and Star Max.

As far as I know, all the -3 discs weren't created for McBeth either. Obviously the Roc3 was, but I believe the other -3 discs were just the result of combining the new Roc3 mold pieces or tweaks with other mold pieces (possibly Roc3 top with Mako or Shark side/bottom pieces although I don't know for sure, maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in). McBeth had a Shark3 in the bag back then and he's had a Mako3 recently but neither of those got his signature and neither of them was or has been in his bag for all that long.

Also, Innova HAS to do whatever is in McBeth's contract, so if it's in his contract that he gets a signature disc for every world championship then that's what they will do. Also, given that McBeth sells more Innova discs than just about any other pro they've got, they really WANT to keep him happy and will do most anything within reason to do so. Keeping McBeth as a sponsored pro WILL make Innova more money in the long run, even if they pay him more in royalties to do so.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming that you don't have intimate knowledge of any contracts between McBeth & Innova and are only speculating about the details in them. So allow me to make a few speculations too: Innova does NOT have to do whatever is in McBeth's contract. Contracts are broken ALL the time. I'm not saying that they WILL do this or that it would be a SMART thing to do. But if they wanted to, Innova could break any contract they had with anyone, anytime. Of course they would probably be sued for breach (happens all the time) and then the lawyers would negotiate a settlement (also happens all the time.)

As for McBeth, he's definitely the most valuable pro a disc company could have endorsing their discs. For now. But the fact remains that Innova was #1 by a wide margin way before McBeth came on the scene. And they'll probably be #1 after he moves on. Considering how big their business is, and until I can read his contract, I will speculate that the money & energy Innova spends keeping McBeth and any other pro happy is a relative drop in their bucket of costs.

I'm thinking nova makes the most sense especially since he uses it frequently and effectively. The only thing IMO that holds it back is that it isn't a "sexy" disc and isn't likely going to be a huge seller due to its quirks (and that its yet another putter...that he doesn't putt with).

Vote for the Nova, but I can only hope for a full production run of McPro Roc3s. If the McPro Roc3 was run constantly and available for retail I have no doubt it would become a staple in many bags. I love mine, but hate having to wait for the Proshop to restock them in order to buy another 5 for cycling purposes. Drop the price $2, give Paul a little less money per disc, sell 20x as many discs. Everyone wins, including the players.

and he only has the Mako3 because his bag got stolen; he had a really worn Champ Roc3 for that slot until the Memorial.

That may the reason he put the Mako3 in his bag, but he likes it and has kept in in the bag since.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that McBeast favorite: the Firebird. Or is there already such a thing out there?

That may the reason he put the Mako3 in his bag, but he likes it and has kept in in the bag since.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that McBeast favorite: the Firebird. Or is there already such a thing out there?

Nate Sexton has a firebird. Another option is the Krait. That would certainly give that mold a boost.

Nate Sexton has a firebird. Another option is the Krait. That would certainly give that mold a boost.

Yes, a McBeth Krait would do well. I'm biased, though; I'm a fan of the Krait myself.

McBeth was using the Nova a lot this past year, so I won't be surprised to see a Nova in his name soon..

P.S. Refresh my memory: McBeth has the Champ Thunderbird and Champ Roc3 with his name, and of course the McPro Avair and McPro Roc3... anything else?

Not "may be the reason". I'm pretty sure Paul actually said he put the mako3 in there to replace the worn roc3

hugheshilton and sjberry2017

In his 2012 ITB, he says Shark but pulls out what looks to be a Champion disc. Shark's only come in DX and Star plastics which leads me to believe it's a Shark3.

It's around the 0:55 mark of the video - https://youtu.be/CgST7iawv_s

Point proven, but that was back in 2012 when the 3 line first came out; he hasn't had one in the bag since.

(A)That may the reason he put the Mako3 in his bag, but he likes it and has kept in in the bag since.

(B)I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that McBeast favorite: the Firebird. Or is there already such a thing out there?

I broke this into A and B to keep the replies seperate

A) Yes, but that's because Champion plastic takes a ridiculously long time to season; if you watch his Aussie Open ITB, the Mako3 was replaced by what I BELIEVE is a really old Orange Roc3 that he'd probably had for a while, so the Mako3 isn't in the bag just because he likes it, but because he needs it. Odds are by this time next year the Mako3 is gone.

B) Ken Climo already has the Firebird; every recent run has the 12x time on them.

On a completely random note, has anyone else enjoyed watching Paul's bag evolve and then go back to square one? I completely forgot about the 2012 ITB video, and there's some discs that he hasn't bagged forever in there. Also funny to see the Thunderbirds kick the Kraits out before the USDGC last year, only for Kraits to return at the beginning of this season.

Signature c-line PD would be sweet, but doubt that would ever happen