• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MD2

kern9787 said:
It can be used as an indicator of PLH... ... Dome isn't a perfect indicator though.
For the most part it's just about irrelevant. Depending on the run the PLH and domeyness can correlate, but that only holds within a certain run, and often not even then.
kern9787 said:
which is an indicator of relative stability
Less an indicator, more a cause.

There are stiff/clear flat C-MD2s. I've seen a few of them, at least a couple of lime green ones and yellows, and a few of a light red color, I would say "light salmon"...

I had 3 of the salmon colored ones, 2 were really stable, just like my pink gummy ones, and one was surprisingly understable, no idea why. Might be PLH, but I didn't really check for that...

I sold them tho, since I like the pink, soft, gummier ones better. And I already have 3 of those and they're not beating in...at all. :shock:

I don't think they can produce flat ones at will, there are some of them in each batch, but for some reason not that many. Even sponsored players are aching to get more of them.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if they knew how to push them out as flat all the time, that's what we'd find on the shelves. Too bad that, since it's an excellent disc when flat, but disappointingly unspecial with dome.

You can make a disc flat...Not without exceptions, but with a little extra attention during the cooling process things can be done to make sure most discs end up flat. Discraft does it with several molds (Buzzz, Flick, NukeOS, OOP Talon), MVP does it, and even Innova has done it to runs of discs in the past (CFR CPDs). I believe it's the willingness to make the effort that is the issue.

Any comparison to be drawn between the MD2 and flat Vectors or the intentionally thrashed FR Vector discspeed? I think I remember you were the resident Buzzz expert at some point before MVP got to you. If you went through an MD2 phase I imagine you'd have opinions on the subject.

CatPredator said:
Right on. Good info. I'm not too concerned with how my mid/slow fairway hybrid type disc powers down below 200'. I wouldn't expect it to have a Comet/beat Roc-like affinity for height and nose up. Sounds interesting.

Damn x2. That sounds interesting because Z Buzzz won't do that and a new X has some turn especially in the wind. Now i have top try to get a flat C MD2. BTW. making flat discs ain't that hard but the PLH might change too. A hot disc upside down on a table with a weight on top...

CatPredator said:
Any comparison to be drawn between the MD2 and flat Vectors or the intentionally thrashed FR Vector discspeed? I think I remember you were the resident Buzzz expert at some point before MVP got to you. If you went through an MD2 phase I imagine you'd have opinions on the subject.

The CMD2 actually came out at the same time as the Vector(and the Pain) so I was initially trying them side by side. The MD2 flies much more "beadless", which basically means that smaller increments in release angle translate into bigger differences in flight. Even though the CMD2s I was testing had as much fade as the Vectors from a flat or slight hyzer throw, I could much more easily turn them a little out of the gate to get a very shallow and straight S flight. The Vectors won't do this the same...They will resist turning if given that same little bit of anny, and if given more anny it will hold it too late into the flight...It other words, it doesn't do shallow S shots. I think the CMD2 is a little faster than the Vector with a little less glide as well. The newer and flatter Vectors (Eclipse in particular) fly similar to the MD2 if thrown flat as they are a little faster. My seasoned FR Vector doesn't fly much like an MD2...It's much more like a slightly faster mildly seasoned KC Pro Roc.

JR said:
[BTW. making flat discs ain't that hard but the PLH might change too. A hot disc upside down on a table with a weight on top...
A disc that comes out flat from the factory and a disc you flattened yourself are totally different things, and should never be compared to one another.
CatPredator said:
One of the Vectors I was testing on that same windy day was a flat first run, orange and straight. It really wasn't that far off from the MD2, though for me it did seem like it needed more oomph or a lower/more nose down line to fly straight, otherwise it would fade noticeably harder. The C-MD2 was easier to get to fly straight. In the harshest winds I also saw the flat Vector turn a small bit, which never happened with the C-MD2. I suspect though that this is more of a style issue and a different thrower could have the opposite happening.

From the Vectors I've thrown (even the flattest first runs) I'd wager it's pretty hard to find a Vector that has as little fade as a deflashed flat C-MD2, unless you either beat one in significantly (which is hard work), or you can manage insane spin.

Loop said:
There are stiff/clear flat C-MD2s. I've seen a few of them, at least a couple of lime green ones and yellows, and a few of a light red color, I would say "light salmon"...

i've got one of the flat lime green/yellowish ones, it's more clear than most of the pink opaques you guys talk about. i'm so glad broD told me to buy one. every other one i've compared it to has been way more domey.

this is it next to a champ mako.

100_3484.JPG

discspeed said:
MVP does it, and even Innova has done it to runs of discs in the past (CFR CPDs). I believe it's the willingness to make the effort that is the issue.

Funny thing is, CFR C-PDs weren't supposed to be that flat, and are considered a bad run. So I doubt they did that on purpose.

jubuttib said:
JR said:
[BTW. making flat discs ain't that hard but the PLH might change too. A hot disc upside down on a table with a weight on top...
A disc that comes out flat from the factory and a disc you flattened yourself are totally different things, and should never be compared to one another.

Unless the factory flattens some discs like that on purpose. Actually they don't need to use weights on the disc with hot discs off of the mold place upside down. Gravity and the weight of the disc itself can flatten the top at least in the molds that have thin flight plates. Especially with soft plastics.

Keeping discs flat out of the mold also usually means cooling them slower...And when discs are manipulated out of the mold all the plastic is cooling/forming at the same time. When heating discs with water post production it is affecting the thin plastic on the flight plate much more than the rest of the disc. This is why it's not the same.

discspeed said:
Keeping discs flat out of the mold also usually means cooling them slower...And when discs are manipulated out of the mold all the plastic is cooling/forming at the same time. When heating discs with water post production it is affecting the thin plastic on the flight plate much more than the rest of the disc. This is why it's not the same.

What happens to the PLH with post production heating depends on the mold. Star Katana type of lack of plastic in the flight plate means that there is little forming ability whereas molds with huge domes can flatten up top and only there if moderation is used in the pressure on top. Sure domey discs can be made to change in the PLH too. In between discs are probably the easiest to change PLH wise.

Those were not my points. My point was that a manufacturer could if they wished to lay discs upside down on the table right after removing the disc from the mold. Depending on the plastic and mold a weight on top may not be needed to make a disc flat topped. And some combinations need a weight for flattening.

kern9787 said:
jubuttib said:
Domey, but that doesn't seem to matter so much with them.

Good. The 3 I just got are pretty domey. If they glide well, and still start pretty stable, I'll be happy.
They do glide well, and will probably have more fade than you'd like at first. Don't worry, just give them some time. =)

i just got my hands on what appears to be a one of a newer batch of CMD2. It's 180 Opaque Yellow Flat and awesome.

new013 said:
i just got my hands on what appears to be a one of a newer batch of CMD2. It's 180 Opaque Yellow Flat and awesome.
I just got one if these (from blurr). I don't know how it compares to the mythical flat ones, but its pretty flat imo. Very straight for the few tosses I've had with it.

so New where did you get your hands on one? IE is it one of the online sites? Want to know who to speak with.

Thanks,

Something