• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Medium Wizards No Longer PDGA Legal?

The post by the buy that does the measurements indicated that he encouraged Dave at Gateway to send in discs from other manufacturers that didn't pass the flexibility test, and Dave declined to do so. I don't think there's some big conspiracy here, just apathy on the part of everyone who has been offered the chance to turn in other discs.
It's not really Dave's job to sniff out other companies illegal discs.

It's not really Dave's job to sniff out other companies illegal discs.

That's fair, but he was already claiming other companies were producing illegal discs, would it have been that hard to name some of them? I think the system is all a bit silly, but within the current system if Gateway feels targeted by this, they have every right to report the other allegedly illegal discs.

Honestly, I stopped following this thread (and caring about it) once Jeff Homburg got on here and said that they spot tested the new flat Firebirds and found them to be within spec. I think that's complete BS, but it's the internet and there's no way to dispute that. Either way, have fun everyone :)

If anyone is really concerned about safety, drivers are straight up dangerous compared to any midrange or putter

firebirds won't break! wizards will break! that is the issue i think.

the G9s must have popped at half diameter bend...champ plastic won't break....need a strong man to bend it but it won't break.

btw gateway drivers seem much softer than most companies...that evo is nice stuff.

Can't link to something that doesn't exist, and probably won't. But the conspiracy folks won't let that stop a good thread.

The PDGA told Gateway to stop shipping discs that don't meet flexibility standards. That's it. No ban is forthcoming. Medium wizards are not going to be illegal for competition, including the ones already shipped out to retailers. So if you got them, keep throwing them with no fear.

Thank you sir.

the G9s must have popped at half diameter bend...champ plastic won't break....need a strong man to bend it but it won't break.

btw gateway drivers seem much softer than most companies...that evo is nice stuff.

That has nothing to do with it, or if it does, it shouldn't.
The rule is clear, the disc is bent, and the pressure is measured. I think it has to be below 27 pounds when bent at 50% or something.
If the Firebird was too stiff, when bent at 50%, the pressure would be greater than 27 pounds, which would result in failing the test.

Really?

Broken discs in my career = 5.......1 CE Firebird......1 Z MRV.....! Z Wasp....2 TP Cyclones

Never broke a wizard....or even seen one break.

I had one crack a few years ago :( It was a sad day.

25003_535517288845_7376621_n.jpg

G9i Wizards take more than 27lbs of pressure to bend to the desired degree than the standards state. That's the issue.

The argument that seems to keep this thread going is that putters are far less dangerous, even as firm as a G9i Wizard, than a gummy driver. As a result the standard should be re-evaluated to be more detailed in regards to disc type.

The two sides that keep arguing seem to boil down to this...
Side 1: It'll raise my dues to test discs
Side 2: I like firm putters and G9i's are the bee's knees.

G9i Wizards take more than 27lbs of pressure to bend to the desired degree than the standards state. That's the issue.

The argument that seems to keep this thread going is that putters are far less dangerous, even as firm as a G9i Wizard, than a gummy driver. As a result the standard should be re-evaluated to be more detailed in regards to disc type.

The two sides that keep arguing seem to boil down to this...
Side 1: It'll raise my dues to test discs
Side 2: I like firm putters and G9i's are the bee's knees.

just get rid of the rule unless it's a liability issue on the PDGA's insurrance policy.