• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Medium Wizards No Longer PDGA Legal?

According to the email I've quoted a few times over the last couple days, that is the case, yes.

Holding me responsible for my discs being manufactured correctly is absurd. I am not a manufacturer. I do not have scales and the ability to flex test.

My problem is that every tournament could be challenged. And every disc will need tested before every tournament. I will stop playing tournaments. (sanctioned at least). Unless a recall is stated (like Prodigy, like it sounds Gateway is) the disc should be legal as approved and stamped. Irregardless of true flex/weight in the field. If found to be "against the specifications" that should be against the manufacturer. IF that means they have to send 1 of every batch to be tested, or provide logs of their internal testing, then so be it. If that adds $1 to each disc purchase, so be it. I will stop throwing a companies discs if they make "approved" discs that I get penalty or DQ'd for buying.

I commend prodigy for stepping up and replacing discs. It sounds like Gateway is doing the same. All manufacturers need to do this, and prevent product from getting out that could be deemed "illegal". And I will fight (verbally) with any TD that tries to tell me their testing way is approved for flex test.

just a guess, but I am assuming that the tests are for new discs, not seasoned discs. If the disc was illegal from the get go, then it is illegal even if it is seasoned.

Ok, I bought a scale and measured all my discs. I have a few in my bin that were overweight. What can I do about that? I'm pissed. I spent money on these discs and now I have deemed them illegal? Has anyone tried contacting disc craft, innova, etc to get discs replaced? I have a couple older rocs that are overweight. How the heck is innova going to replace that for me, they don't make 11x anymore. This is really frustrating to me. I know I will be checking every disc I buy, and putting notes on online order forms stating discs need to be weighed and verified legal, or I will be returning them retailer paid shipping.
I had to remove 3 discs out of 20 from my bag tonight. I do not cheat, I don't want a chance weighing to make me seem like a cheat. Has anyone had an instance where discs were weighed and is there a set tolerance by the pdga? 2g, 2%,etc.

Yes it's a slight thread derail, but same concept of illegal discs and replacement.

Ok, I bought a scale and measured all my discs. I have a few in my bin that were overweight. What can I do about that? I'm pissed. I spent money on these discs and now I have deemed them illegal? Has anyone tried contacting disc craft, innova, etc to get discs replaced? I have a couple older rocs that are overweight. How the heck is innova going to replace that for me, they don't make 11x anymore. This is really frustrating to me. I know I will be checking every disc I buy, and putting notes on online order forms stating discs need to be weighed and verified legal, or I will be returning them retailer paid shipping.
I had to remove 3 discs out of 20 from my bag tonight. I do not cheat, I don't want a chance weighing to make me seem like a cheat. Has anyone had an instance where discs were weighed and is there a set tolerance by the pdga? 2g, 2%,etc.

Yes it's a slight thread derail, but same concept of illegal discs and replacement.

Haha, welcome to the real world. A lot of discs do not weigh what they're marked as. This is nothing to get upset about.

And yeah, I think Chuck has mentioned somewhere before that there's a +/- 2g leniency on this. This is why Wizards marked 175g are legal, even though their max legal weight is 174.3g

Haha, welcome to the real world. A lot of discs do not weigh what they're marked as. This is nothing to get upset about.

And yeah, I think Chuck has mentioned somewhere before that there's a +/- 2g leniency on this. This is why Wizards marked 175g are legal, even though their max legal weight is 174.3g

I disagree about the upset thing. I've been unknowingly cheating using overweight discs. And now I'm out money that I've spent.

I could actually have been DQ'd or had shots added to my score unknowingly. That's frustrating. I know personally I will not be buying discs from a certain online place anymore, almost every one I have bought from them is overweight. Lesson learned I guess. sucks I've wasted over $100 in plastic in the last 4 months that wasn't legal. With no recourse. Lesson learned the hard way I guess.

I disagree about the upset thing. I've been unknowingly cheating using overweight discs. And now I'm out money that I've spent.

I could actually have been DQ'd or had shots added to my score unknowingly. That's frustrating. I know personally I will not be buying discs from a certain online place anymore, almost every one I have bought from them is overweight. Lesson learned I guess. sucks I've wasted over $100 in plastic in the last 4 months that wasn't legal. With no recourse. Lesson learned the hard way I guess.

Um, I doubt that one retailer specifically asked for overweight discs.

It's the manufacturers responsibility to weigh discs and mark them with the correct weight. The retailers don't have to weigh them, and many of the large scale retailers simply don't have time to do that.

Before you really start getting upset, make sure your scale is calibrated. I know my scale displays about 1g too heavy so a disc that's 175g will show up as 176g on the scale.

And again, while the rules state that you can get penalized and potentially disqualified for using illegal plastic, I have yet to see anyone enforce this rule. Nobody is out there making rounds around the course weighing your plastic. I'm pretty sure none of your discs are marked 177g when the max weight for that specific mold is 175g. Everybody goes by what the disc is marked as.

There is no official or unofficial tolerance. Max weight listed in the specs is the max weight allowed. The only time we've heard of a 2g tolerance was the 2009 Japan Open where they allowed discs actually weighing up to 152g to be used in their 150 class event. But note that was an event tolerance not a spec tolerance where even the 152g discs were still well under the max weight allowed for all of those discs.

Ok, I bought a scale and measured all my discs. I have a few in my bin that were overweight. What can I do about that? I'm pissed. I spent money on these discs and now I have deemed them illegal? Has anyone tried contacting disc craft, innova, etc to get discs replaced?

Posted at PDGA DISCussion by Dave Dunipace at INNOVA:

http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1448023&postcount=12072

Discs do get mis weighed and mis marked. That's going to happen. Discs made of Star and Champion are hygroscopic and can gain 2 or 3gms after molding. Unfortunately, getting that water out by heating will probably warp the disc. I suppose you could leave it in kitty litter or some other dessicant over night. That might do something.

As I have said before, the only fairly certain way of not getting an overweight disc is either to weigh it before purchase, buy it from an on-line guy who will certify the weight for you, or buy a disc a couple of grams off the max. Our dealers can return unused overweight discs for replacement, so they could offer a verification service to their customers. They don't have to sell over weight discs. [UNQUOTE]

Discs do get mis weighed and mis marked. That's going to happen. Discs made of Star and Champion are hygroscopic and can gain 2 or 3gms after molding. Unfortunately, getting that water out by heating will probably warp the disc. I suppose you could leave it in kitty litter or some other dessicant over night. That might do something.

As I have said before, the only fairly certain way of not getting an overweight disc is either to weigh it before purchase, buy it from an on-line guy who will certify the weight for you, or buy a disc a couple of grams off the max. Our dealers can return unused overweight discs for replacement, so they could offer a verification service to their customers. They don't have to sell over weight discs. [UNQUOTE]
Sounds like Innova won't have to replace discs like Prodigy will.

FYI - Dave's post was made in January, 2011.

interesting about innova. I have contacted one retailer who i have overweight discs from.

This has been an eye opening experience weighing all my discs. I have a KC Pro whippet that is marked 175 that is actually 170 I always thought it was max weight....most of my "max weight" discs were actually 2 grams or so low (assuming my calibrated scale is correct, i'm giving myself .5g, so 174.5 = 175 to protect myself a bit).

MANY of my discs came in under the written weight, and most are under max weight. I know I will start buying everything a few off of max weight, and only buy where I can get them individually weighed to insure compliance.

I weighed 10 DX Aviars, all bought at the same time and they are all marked 175. They weighed from 172.5-176.

Actually, a single golf ball cannot be out-of-spec for weight, just if the cover is cut or it somehow got squished by getting run over by a semi perhaps. Overweight balls are legal as long as the ball model is on the USGA list of conforming balls. Up to 3 out of 24 test balls can be overweight and still pass the test to get certified for the list. So some balls might have a ball or two slightly overweight out of every dozen they buy. And those 1 or 2 overweight balls would be legal even if weighed.

That's enough to pass the testing and to get that specific model of golf ball on a list, but a golf ball that's found to be overweight would be illegal for use in play.

One big difference is that golf is several orders of magnitude a wealthier sport (I just mean the industry as a whole), and so manufacturers have stiffer tolerances. Drivers have been recalled because some of them had a Coefficient of Restitution of greater than 0.83 (as in 0.831 to 0.832 = illegal, and recalled).

Additionally, as has been said, golf appears to be more a game of honor than disc golf, and golfers will not knowingly play illegal equipment, nor will manufacturers knowingly make and sell illegal equipment.

2. Weight
The weight of the ball must not be greater than 1.620 ounces avoirdupois (45.93 g).

3. Size
The diameter of the ball must not be less than 1.680 inches (42.67 mm).

The Top-Flite Magna was 1.72 inches, I believe, and floating golf balls are legal (they don't go as far) too as they're lighter weight.

If a ball is on the Conforming list, it's legal even if weighed and it exceeds the max weight. Otherwise, playing balls that have picked up dirt or water weight would be illegal and they are not. Either that or the USGA has messed up and has rules in conflict.

Last edited:
I hesitate to mention this because I don't want to give away my honey hole, but FYI a certain online disc retailer with a retro looking webpage look (hint, hint) has some G9is or at least did as of today. You will have to have call or email them to check and make sure you get the right ones because they are listing them incorrectly as mediums. From one stiffy Wizard lover to the next...

Latest posts