• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Medium Wizards No Longer PDGA Legal?

What about McPro Aviars or firm Judges? Weren't they run through the flex test when they got PDGA approval?

What about McPro Aviars or firm Judges? Weren't they run through the flex test when they got PDGA approval?

The McPro Aviars may not have been submitted for approval, since they're not a new mold, just a new plastic blend. That said, I don't think they're anywhere near as stiff as a Medium or G9i Wizard.

Discs that are already approved are only retested if the manufacturer isn't sure that they'd pass, someone reports them, or the PDGA stumbles upon them in a gift box. McBeth was asked this in his thread, and he said they'd absolutely pass the test...in 77 degree temperatures.

The highest temperature I've encountered since getting mine is 70 degrees, but my McPros are just as firm as my G9i's and more firm than a lot of my Mediums. I don't have any firm Judges.

Gateway has known for a decade that their stiffer Wizards were severely frowned on by the PDGA. With all the new manufacturers popping up the PDGA needs to enforce the manufacturing rules before things get way out of hand. Gateway has been warned in the past so I guess they are better to make an example of than one of the newer companies.

Just a guess...

PDGA follows up on all reports of possible spec issues. Maybe a few more Gateway discs have been reported than others although Innova discs have been reported. Some of the Gateway issues have been more public. If there's a conspiracy, it's among the players, not the PDGA. The PDGA does not have the resources for blanket enforcement or even systematic spot checking. There are some random spot checks but not on an organized schedule by disc or manufacturer. But when suspect discs are sent or reported to PDGA HQ or even if players send an email indicating a possible problem, the PDGA follows up.

Last edited:
The McPro Aviars may not have been submitted for approval, since they're not a new mold, just a new plastic blend. That said, I don't think they're anywhere near as stiff as a Medium or G9i Wizard.

Ah, of course. Sorry it looks like I haven't been thinking before posting.. Well, I read on here that some Judges are plenty stiff and that is a new mold..

So sad that it has to be Gateway that needs to pull off their firm putters from the market..

I don't see why Gateway is bothering redesigning them, they sell Ninjas which aren't PDGA approved, why not just change the stamp so they don't say legal? Plenty of people never play sanctioned events like myself, and love the G9i (except in really cold or wet weather, then the RFF comes out). Unless your doing something that gives you unfair competitive advantage why should it matter? I mean most courses are hilly and deeply wooded around here, have snakes and bees nests on them, I'm more worried about that than the saftey of disc flexibility. Or even the fact that so many seem to take this insulting point of view about "we play in the rain, no matter what, even if it means every sane person won't show and it ruins the tournament", I'm sorry but unless your a sponsored player, there is no reason to risk slipping and possibly breaking an ankle or elbow or getting sick and having to miss work and lose money to play disc golf, maybe the PDGA should work on that aspect.

Wasn't someone just talking about how the new prodigy putters are brick hard in that other thread? Wondering what came of that.

I don't see why Gateway is bothering redesigning them, they sell Ninjas which aren't PDGA approved, why not just change the stamp so they don't say legal? Plenty of people never play sanctioned events like myself, and love the G9i (except in really cold or wet weather, then the RFF comes out).
The PDGA Approved mark is tooled into the mold since it's the disc that's approved.

Wasn't someone just talking about how the new prodigy putters are brick hard in that other thread? Wondering what came of that.
The McPro Aviars are as firm as the G9i's too, and Paul has assured us that they pass.

Great move by gateway, its almost like there mocking the pdga. Love it! Im gonna get sum of these just to support them

I don't see why Gateway is bothering redesigning them, they sell Ninjas which aren't PDGA approved, why not just change the stamp so they don't say legal? Plenty of people never play sanctioned events like myself, and love the G9i (except in really cold or wet weather, then the RFF comes out). Unless your doing something that gives you unfair competitive advantage why should it matter? I mean most courses are hilly and deeply wooded around here, have snakes and bees nests on them, I'm more worried about that than the saftey of disc flexibility. Or even the fact that so many seem to take this insulting point of view about "we play in the rain, no matter what, even if it means every sane person won't show and it ruins the tournament", I'm sorry but unless your a sponsored player, there is no reason to risk slipping and possibly breaking an ankle or elbow or getting sick and having to miss work and lose money to play disc golf, maybe the PDGA should work on that aspect.

Not trying to pick a fight, but this is an awfully wimpy post for someone who's screenname indicates badassery. Just sayin.

I could have sworn I saw Gateway say that none of their putters have been declared illegal but I cant find where they said that. Either way I just asked them about the G9is so we will see what they say. I know I'll need another one eventually, as I only have one right now.

but then again that ebay link is their ebay store...hmm

I could have sworn I saw Gateway say that none of their putters have been declared illegal but I cant find where they said that. Either way I just asked them about the G9is so we will see what they say. I know I'll need another one eventually, as I only have one right now.

Dave said it on Facebook. The fact is that G9i's don't pass the flex test, and the PDGA asked Dave to stop producing them. He complied.

Since they don't pass the test, it's been implied here that they aren't legal for competition. There have been no formal announcements from the PDGA that this is the case.

If the PDGA asks a manufacturer to stop producing a disc in a certain plastic because it doesn't adhere to the established standards, I don't see how the existing discs in that plastic can still be legal to compete. I'm also not the PDGA.

Bottom line: it's a dumb standard that won't be changed until it becomes an actual problem (for a TD and a competitor). In my opinion, that's too late. Again, I'm not the PDGA though.

The PDGA didn't tell Gateway to stop making them, didn't tell them they were "illegal" or anything so official or dramatic. The PDGA just informed Gateway that the G9i's and mediums were stiffer than the official test allowed as a "heads-up". That's all.

If the PDGA asks a manufacturer to stop producing a disc in a certain plastic because it doesn't adhere to the established standards, I don't see how the existing discs in that plastic can still be legal to compete. I'm also not the PDGA.
It's because it's a manufacturing rule, not a throwing rule. It's (or should be) illegal to manufacture discs that are too stiff, not throw discs that are too stiff.

Bottom line: it's a dumb standard that won't be changed until it becomes an actual problem (for a TD and a competitor). In my opinion, that's too late. Again, I'm not the PDGA though.
I'm 100% with you on that one.

Latest posts