• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Medium Wizards No Longer PDGA Legal?

GATEWAY SAYS THAT THESE ARE STILL PDGA LEGAL (at facebook)

Guy asking:"Is it true the medium wizards are no longer pdga approved?"
Gateway: "No that is false information"

its at comments of their latest question at fb

GATEWAY SAYS THAT THESE ARE STILL PDGA LEGAL (at facebook)

Guy asking:"Is it true the medium wizards are no longer pdga approved?"
Gateway: "No that is false information"

its at comments of their latest question at fb

Also, later in the same post:

PDGA approval extends only to the molds themselves, not the materiel with which discs are made so your wizards are fine. While they have for years turned a blind eye to rock hard KC Pro rocs, aviars, whippets, hard magnets, glow dx aviars and myriad other dinner plate discs and putters, the powers that be have asked that Mr. McCormack quit running Wizards in the G9i blend and he has, for the moment, acquiesced. I may be wrong but I think that the medium wizard may also be affected as collateral damage, but no requests have been made as far as the other putters, which are still available in the medium flex plastic.

well it's official. people are already trying to sell mediums at 30 bucks a piece :(

Where? I need some mediums lol

I got one of the eraser 25s and its pretty stiff if someone's looking for a replacement

I guess I don't get it though really. I get the safety issue but this is a putter with a rounded blunt edge..how much damage can it really do? Its not like there are a ton of people out there throwing putters 300 feet. Most people actually putt and approach with them, at the speeds they're usually going it may hurt a little getting hit with one, but thats about it.

I could do more damage with a pointy ended distance driver and most people out there are trying to launch them as hard as they can.....badly sometimes....

This is all totally ignoring the fact that why the hell would someone be standing in front of someone throwing anyway..but we won't even get into that....

The whole thing is kind of silly though....

Where? I need some mediums lol

I got one of the eraser 25s and its pretty stiff if someone's looking for a replacement

I guess I don't get it though really. I get the safety issue but this is a putter with a rounded blunt edge..how much damage can it really do? Its not like there are a ton of people out there throwing putters 300 feet. Most people actually putt and approach with them, at the speeds they're usually going it may hurt a little getting hit with one, but thats about it.

I could do more damage with a pointy ended distance driver and most people out there are trying to launch them as hard as they can.....badly sometimes....

This is all totally ignoring the fact that why the hell would someone be standing in front of someone throwing anyway..but we won't even get into that....

The whole thing is kind of silly though....

they are firm as hell. almost, but not quite g9i. and they dont have pdga approved stamped on them either, it just says approved

The 25s are not nearly as firm as a G9i. They named them ER-25 because they pass the flex test at 25lbs (limit is 27lbs). The G9i failed at 42lbs.

This is all totally ignoring the fact that why the hell would someone be standing in front of someone throwing anyway..but we won't even get into that...

The disc is in the air more than right off the tee and is dangerous at every part of its flight. I know someone who took a driver to the face 300'+ from the thrower. It split his nose open.

The whole thing is kind of silly though...

Agreed (when it comes to putters)

The 25s are not nearly as firm as a G9i. They named them ER-25 because they pass the flex test at 25lbs (limit is 27lbs). The G9i failed at 42lbs.

After six months of putting and short approaching only, my G9i is just as "soft" as the ER-25s. That's the whole point of why I like firmer putters. I want something that breaks in to be firmer. Starting at 25lbs of flex will make me have to change out my putters constantly.

42lbs really? I doubt they tested the ones we got from your pre-order. They don't feel THAT much firmer than the Erasers.

Last edited:
I have a few meds and g9i... The g9i is like crazy stiff, the thing just chunks unlike the meds which break in oh so nice!

The disc is in the air more than right off the tee and is dangerous at every part of its flight. I know someone who took a driver to the face 300'+ from the thrower. It split his nose open.

Agreed (when it comes to putters)

After six months of putting and short approaching only, my G9i is just as "soft" as the ER-25s. That's the whole point of why I like firmer putters. I want something that breaks in to be firmer. Starting at 25lbs of flex will make me have to change out my putters constantly.

42lbs really? I doubt they tested the ones we got from your pre-order. They don't feel THAT much firmer than the Erasers.

Totally agree on the driver but thats my point...a driver, probably regardless of flex, is far more dangerous than a stiff putter. I completely understand it with discs like drivers and mids maybe even....

As for the 25s, yeah my 25 is only slightly less stiff then my G9i, however my G9i is the one with the small wizard in the middle, a later run I think. There are some that are referred to "porcelain" G9is I think, so they may be stiffer. Either way I'm ok the E25 is stiff enough for me and way more grippy than the G9i I have..I really like it.

I haven't been using it for too long and its getting the usual dings and nicks, but nothing worse than any other wizard I'm using has worn. Plus as far as Im concerned that's just the good getting beat into it anyway...:)

I haven't been using it for too long and its getting the usual dings and nicks, but nothing worse than any other wizard I'm using has worn. Plus as far as Im concerned that's just the good getting beat into it anyway...:)

Stay away from the chastity belt on Discatchers then. The second putt I took with one of mine was high and gashed the bead pretty bad. I never had the same chunking issue with my earlier run G9i's that a lot of others did either.

Mine have taken a lot more damage from the sharp edges of number plates than from the chastity belt, but either way they do tend to lose chunks pretty easily.

We're not a big "number plate" area so I don't have a lot of experience with them. I can imagine those edges are brutal though.

Stay away from the chastity belt on Discatchers then. The second putt I took with one of mine was high and gashed the bead pretty bad. I never had the same chunking issue with my earlier run G9i's that a lot of others did either.

I don't know if I've hit the chastity belt yet, maybe a couple times, but as of now my G9i has bigger gouges and nicks in it from that then the erasers do, Im sure the erasers will get their share though. Only difference is if the eraser gets gouged up I can just go get another one, can't do that with the G9i

My current G9i hasn't chunked up very bad at all, but it does look like it's been through a war. There are lots of scratches, some deeper than others, but it hasn't been losing pieces. It also, in true Gateway plastic form, has pretty much stopped taking on damage.

Well, as someone with brain damage from both a driver and putter, i must say the driver knocked me out, the putter just hurt like hell..... :(

picked up a fresh stack of "softs," and the tooling on the back that had said P.D.G.A. APPROVED now just says APPROVED. strange, because they are doing this even while complying with pdga requests to lose the stiffies. part of me wonders if its some middle finger action towards them.
just sayin... kinda weird.

All of the Wizards that I have recently bought(RFF, Eraser and a Soft) have the PDGA removed from them. I was going to post about it a couple weeks ago, but was too lazy.

Latest posts